SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 16, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,576 of 15,275
Never seen so much ambiguity with an IEM. Impressions are all over the place. Think i'm gonna hold off on these.

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,577 of 15,275
Nah @crinacle I need a 100% watertight consensus otherwise I cry myself to sleep.

Video was an interesting counterpoint/character to your usual measurements and writeups.

Never seen so much ambiguity with an IEM. Impressions are all over the place. Think i'm gonna hold off on these.

Yeah they are aren't they? One thing that I suspect is polarising the impressions is from either not getting a proper eartip seal or from too shallow an insertion.

Crinacle mentioned a shallower insertion leading to a somewhat siblant treble experience whereas a deeper fit eliminates the siblance. I smashed the IER-Z1Rs into my ears and got smoother treble.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #1,580 of 15,275

Exactly... which kind of make me curious, really.
I *want* to audition them and get a picture of where they stand.

Either people have very different fits / seals or the IER-Z1R changes dramatically with burn in and people are comparing apple with oranges, or it’s really heavily source dependent, or units discrepancy or all of the above but my, I have never seen such contradictory impressions....

Mar 16, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #1,581 of 15,275
And the one guy who is supposed to be doing this more seriously has multiple personality disorder. Now that's a first, Plural Entity Headphone/IEM Reviewer Man. I don't think the few people who upvoted his excuse watched the video versus some of the stuff he has written. Nothing to do with stuff you like not being immune to criticism and how you're above the problems seen on Head-Fi, bud. I watch other youtube videos for stand-up comedy. Do your routines on top of consistent content and then you might be useful to people who actually care with money on the line.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,583 of 15,275
Have you been able to try the Solaris as well? The Solaris is also supposed to be an improvement over the Andromeda, $500 cheaper than the Z1R and from the posts of some not needing as expensive sources.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #1,584 of 15,275
Either people have very different fits / seals or the IER-Z1R changes dramatically with burn in and people are comparing apple with oranges, or it’s really heavily source dependent, or units discrepancy or all of the above but my, I have never seen such contradictory impressions....
Now all we need are a vocal few to totally rip on anyone with less than favorable takes on these IEMs, complete with conspiracy theories, insults and hints of xenophobia, some without even having tried them at all, that seems to be how it's done on this site, yes?

In all seriousness, nothing is perfect. No need to be surprised some won't like what you do, and vice versa. I, like many others, happen to like these a lot, but that doesn't definitely mean you or anyone else will as well.

I don't plan on selling these quietly anytime soon either :)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,585 of 15,275
Have you been able to try the Solaris as well? The Solaris is also supposed to be an improvement over the Andromeda, $500 cheaper than the Z1R and from the posts of some not needing as expensive sources.

I tried it and didn't like it as much as the Andromeda. The Solaris had much stronger and deeper bass, but was overall less clear sounding than the Andromeda. The IER-Z1R had both the bass and the clarity.

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #1,588 of 15,275
Depends on what clear means to you. But the Solaris if I can recall, does sound less airy than the Andromeda.
By less airy you mean the Solaris had thicker mids and real bass while the Andro has 5 tweeters ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back