Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #887 of 2,773
Quote:
how does the v55 compare to zx700? as i mentioned earlier: soundwise the 1r is not that much better than the zx700.

Mine have had probably 300+ hours use, they need a proper burn in.
They are in the DJ line so they do have some kick to the bottom but within decent limits i'd say. The highs can sound a little grainy and pitchy I guess. They struggle a bit on tracks with alot going on.

Compared to others at that price they fair pretty well fit nice and fold compact.

The ZX700s to me are almost boring to listen too.
While listening to some Rush on my cassette Walkman the V55s produce lovely guitar distortion. 

As some of the older experienced members will agree, SONY doesn't make cans or anything like they used too. The V6 to me take the cake.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #888 of 2,773
Quote:
All three models are in stock at Adorama now, I'm really tempted to go with the standard version.  Is there really no one on here who has heard both them and the DT 1350 yet?  That's my current portable reference.

Don't need to hear them to know that the 1350 will sound better to your ears. If you like the 1350's bass, visceral impact, detail, treble extension, and neutrality... you'll hate the 1R.  Based on reviews here it has no PRaT, is slightly warm, and there isn't much sub-bass. Way different from the 1350s. If you love the 1350s, I can almost guarantee that the 1Rs will be a disappointment for you.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #889 of 2,773
I got to listen to these at the Valley Fair Sony Store.

I listened through a Walkman Z1000 with both the equalizer and the vpt/surround effect set to "none."

Unshockingly, they seemed a bit too warm and slow for me. Praise be to the audio gods that WinAmp and other third-party audio apps have multi-band equalizers to deal with that.

Their isolation from the incessant noise at the Sony Store seemed OK.

I found I didn't like the design that much. The drivers lightly-but-noticeably pressed on my ears which I found surprising given their apearance of having deep "cans." I think the cushions lack density so they don't maintain that perceive depth.

The earpieces seem to swivel more away from the head than toward which I found counterintuitive.

I still find these interesting, though, as mobile device closed-back circumaurals.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #890 of 2,773
I definitely have different "ears" than you guys... I actually don't find them all that "warm"... at least not Mad Dogs warm, nor HD600 warm, etc... 

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #891 of 2,773
Ok I had a listen to the NC model today...

Bottom line, I am either selling or returning the 1R and going NC. The NC has the bass like the XBA3 that I like and while the mids are not as prominent as the 1R the noise cancelling was so good I am willing to pay the difference. Not everyone will like that added bass but I really liked it.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #892 of 2,773
Ooh, getting interesting. 50 > 40?

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #894 of 2,773
I returned my 1R's, despite the comfort (so good...) they just weren't portable enough for my purposes. I'd be worried about scuffing up the soft leather pads and headband, and I don't know how well they'd cope with being squashed or dropped - a lot of plastic there. SQ wise there's too much mid-bass and the sound can get quite congested so you really lose the separation of instruments and any sense of soundstage. As some have mentioned there is a little sibilance - they aren't especially bright but I got a treble peak on occasion. They go reasonably low but you hardly feel it. Still, I listened to them quite happily for ages and enjoyed the sound overall. I just wouldn't be likely to use them much at all.

I'm also returning some Momentums (though I'm stuck with another pair because I lost my receipt). They went back because they're just not circumaural for me so they're no good at all without fitting. I think they miss out in the high end slightly and perhaps have a little too much 'bounce' overall for some but soundstage and separation were nice (MUCH better than 1R's) and they were very listenable. Very well built too. If they fit me I might have actually kept them, there is no chance they are worth £250 but once paid for all ready it's easier to persuade yourself to keep something.

I'm ultimately sticking to the HD 25-1 II and don't think I'll bother looking much more. They're indestructible, light, compact and despite having no soundstage and some brightness they sound just good enough with whatever is thrown at them. Overall the perfect portable for my lifestyle when I consider all factors, not 'high-end' sound but that requires too many compromises for me and I also want to stick to a single portable headphone rather than having 2-3 as I mostly use IEM's anyway!

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #895 of 2,773
For anyone interested, I have posted a FS on my Silver MDR-1R's. Note I can return these to Sony versus reselling, as such since I will be buying a much more expensive Headphone I will not accept anything less than what I paid for them. But if anyone is wanting the silver model this may be one of your only opportunities other than buying from Japan at an inflated price...

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #897 of 2,773
I actually had the price wrong and just figured that out. I paid $285 so have adjusted accordingly. It's OK if no one is interested as I can simply get a full refund. But do want to give any interested parties a chance to get the Silver model without a lot of hassle.

Edit: That is actually a heck of a price from Accessory Jack. From what I understand they are not an authorized reseller but I have bought stuff from them myself in the past so know they will be legit minus warranty outside of AJ themselves.

My sale will stand until Monday one way or the other...

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #898 of 2,773
Very interested in the MDR-1RBT model. Have these been fully reviewed anywhere yet? I've been searching but haven't found much yet. Got some questions that I would like answered before ordering. Apologies if these have been answered before:

- how's the wireless signal? Reliable, clean, etc?
- is a USB Bluetooth dongle all I need for these headphones to pair with my PC and function correctly?
- if I use them with a cord, are they identical to the MDR-1R model?

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #899 of 2,773
Quote:
Very interested in the MDR-1RBT model. Have these been fully reviewed anywhere yet? I've been searching but haven't found much yet. Got some questions that I would like answered before ordering. Apologies if these have been answered before:

- how's the wireless signal? Reliable, clean, etc?
- is a USB Bluetooth dongle all I need for these headphones to pair with my PC and function correctly?
- if I use them with a cord, are they identical to the MDR-1R model?

Sorry my bad. I do have my review of the 1RBT in draft only. But briefly to answer your questions :-

- wireless is fine. I had my phone in the bathroom and I was in the living room and it was still working good - not a big apartment but round the corner and a door...say 25-30 feet. So if you have it in your BT transmitter in your bag, it would be fine.
- I've not tried with a BT dongle since my PC has bluetooth built-in but it's standard BT so I don't see why it wouldn't work
- Actually no. The sound isn't the same. There's a DSEE technology which is used in BT mode however I get the feeling that DSEE is still somewhat active in corded. Or if it's not, I feel there's some additional circuitry in part, at least, that is used. the 1R just sounds simpler and cleaner whereas the 1RBT feels a little more "digital" if that kinda makes sense.

These are with respect to my ears anyway.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #900 of 2,773
Is the NC built with more metal and stronger materials than the two lower down models? I remember seeing that somewhere..

Maybe they're worth the money for better build and sound like I've been hearing they have? (In comparison the the BT and plain 1R's?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back