Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #916 of 2,773
Quote:
not yet bro, maybe by friday or saturday, or next week. not really excited to get it immediately although accessoryjack shipped it using express shipping last friday.

although if i base the 1R on the impressions here, and my experience with the cd900st and z1000, i would safely assume that the cd900st is more neutral and transparent of the three.

Hmm, yeah I'd definitely be interested in a comparison with the CD900ST if you're willing when you get them.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #918 of 2,773
Took back the 1R for the NC model tonight and was pretty happy until I went outside! The NC mics are horrible with wind. I will try them tomorrow on the bus and train plus walk to work and see how they work but these may have short life if the wind noise doesn't abate.

I tried them outside with nc turned off but then the amp is off as well and the bass becomes to flabby. So I am on the fence with these.

Straight sound quality though I think these will be great on buses, trains, and airplanes.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #919 of 2,773
Well, sometimes you take a chance and get gold and sometimes you get gold plated...

Further listening reveals gold plating for me with the NC model. The bass is nicer (in NC mode) than the 1R, the mids are almost as nice (in NC mode but very recessed in passive mode), the treble is grainy in both modes. I will give these a night of burnin and a days use tomorrow. But unless something changes I will definitely be taking these back as they just don't measure up upon closer inspection.

Wish I had just stayed with the 1R...

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #920 of 2,773
Quote:
Straight sound quality though I think these will be great on buses, trains, and airplanes.

That would be my use case for these headfones. I would be really interested if the NC can beat the bose qc 15 (not in sound qualitiy, just the NC feature) and if there is a hiss when using them without playing music. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #921 of 2,773
I never noticed any hiss and for the most part the sound was good with the exception of the treble which I found grainy and sharp. But the treble will potentially settle down with use.

My bigger challenge is I live an a windy area and walk outside quite a bit so the wind sound with the NC microphones is intolerable at this price point.

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #922 of 2,773
Quote:
I never noticed any hiss and for the most part the sound was good with the exception of the treble which I found grainy and sharp. But the treble will potentially settle down with use.
My bigger challenge is I live an a windy area and walk outside quite a bit so the wind sound with the NC microphones is intolerable at this price point.

sounds good, so i think a should try them. I will not use them outside a lot, but for traveling in trains and airplanes. I like the boses NC (i tried them for a short time only in a shop) but i didn't like the quality they were build. Also I have the possibility to buy the sony in the germans education store so the nc version will be a litte bit cheaper for me than the bose headphones. I also tried the AKG NC 495 which sounded very nice, build very well and also were comfortable enough to wear them for several hours (i think so) but the NC produced a hiss.

Does the NC Model comes with a hard case and a flight adapter?

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #923 of 2,773
Yes it has a semi hard case and adapter

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #924 of 2,773
More then 50 hours with 1R. vocal sound still not bright enough. So far appreciating the low bass sound. Hope mid and treble open up more soon....

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #926 of 2,773
I'm wondering has anyone compared the MDR-1RBT headset with the Parrot Zik? I was listening to the Parrot Zik headset through wired connection in a local Brookstone shop, and I wasn't truly impressed with the sound coming out of it.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #927 of 2,773
Quote:
Well, sometimes you take a chance and get gold and sometimes you get gold plated...
Further listening reveals gold plating for me with the NC model. The bass is nicer (in NC mode) than the 1R, the mids are almost as nice (in NC mode but very recessed in passive mode), the treble is grainy in both modes. I will give these a night of burnin and a days use tomorrow. But unless something changes I will definitely be taking these back as they just don't measure up upon closer inspection.
Wish I had just stayed with the 1R...

The treble grain is something that stood out to me when I tried the NC model a few months back. It sounded slightly off to me compared to the 1R.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #928 of 2,773
I remembered your post but when in store I didn't notice the grain. It was only after I was in a better listening environment that it became a lot more obvious.

The killer for me is the wind noise with the microphones though. Unfortunately I walk a lot so this is a deal breaker for me.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #930 of 2,773
Quote:
My silver version finally shipped.  Stay tuned for unboxing video.

I would love to see your video. I really like your unboxing videos,they are very interesting to watch.

I'm thinking of bying them.I have the shure srh840,but want a "more" portable closed can in terms of looks and comfort.I like the silver version,but I'm thinking that the black color may be the better looking on the head (not too contrasty with black hair).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back