Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Feb 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,854 of 4,748
I bought the Sony EX1000. I received them today but I think the quality is awful. There is like no bass at all and the highs are too sharp. In order to hear a tiny little bit of bass you have to turn up the volume so much that the highs become very dominating and annoying. 

These are definitely gonna be returned to the store.

I use to have the same problem when I got my EX700 few years ago. And have similar problem with my HD800 and T1. Then after feed them into proper recordings and 2 years of burning my ear. I kind of under stand what high quality sound should sound like. Maybe it is the IEM and Full size I owned get me into this taste, or maybe you just need to give it a bit more time to really listen to the music. P.S. I think you would love IE8 for now. However, plz do not feed low quality mp3 or recordings to these kind of IEMs, they will destroy your ears with the junk information inside the file~~~~~

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #2,856 of 4,748
@james444: I am trying to find something thats similar to my eq-7's but with more resolution/clarity on the highs. I really like the airy/tube-like/natural vocals on the ortofons. The spacious soundstage also makes it more engaging and I can get lost in my music. However the treble can sound so unrefined and quite harsh/piercing, especially on high pitched female vocals. Distorted guitars can also have too much energy which can be really fatiguing (can be a really bad combination when both of these are together). I have to turn the volume lower because of this when i'm listening to these type of music which sacrifices the liveliness of the vocals.

My sound preferences are:

-Good clarity/resolution

-transparent

-airy/articulate

-mid forward

-Highs with good treble extension but never harsh/piercing/sibilant. I also want the highs to sound airy like the lows/mids of eq-7. I feel the upper mids/highs in the eq-7's are incoherent with the lows and mids because they can sound harsh/piercing and lack the refinement. They also seem to have lost the airy sound as well.

-good soundstage- I want a concert hall type soundstage but vocals/mids still has to be forward as if your sitting in the first row in a concert.

-vocals are centre with forward projection and are more forward than instruments. But the instruments will still have to be engaging.

-good imaging and istrument seperation- able to pinpoint where everything are. Doesn't sound congested in complex passages.

-I don't like too much bass. the eq-7 is fine for my taste.

Pros and cons of the iem's I have.

EQ-7

PROS:

-Natural sounding vocals that are airy/tube-like.
-Quite a spacious soundstage but still having forward vocals.
-Accurate bass.
-Piano and classical pieces sounding realistic and engaging because of the soundstage and the extra oomph.

CONS:

-Unrefined upper mids/treble that can sound harsh/piercing. More problematic on high pitched female vocals.
-Can have too much energy on instruments at times which can be more problematic on distorted guitars etc.
-Quite a fatiguing sound. Can't get tiresome around 30 mins of usage, sometimes longer depending on the music I am listening to or just how I feel that day.
-Long housing and heavy cables. After a certain time of use it can be uncormfortable.

CK100

PROS:

-Guitar and strings sounding very realistic and engaging, more so than the EQ-7's.
-More refined highs than the EQ-7
-Non fatiguing sound. Can be used for hours at a time.
-Most comfortable iem's I own. They fit just perfectly for my small ears and they isolate well.
-Better instrument seperation than eQ-7.

CONS:

-Accented vocals.
-Not as airy as eq-7's.
-Piano's does not sound as realistic as the eq-7's and lack of energy and soundstage for classical pieces.
-Can have too much speed sometimes.

Currently i'm looking at the EX1000. However, I don't know if the treble will be a problem for me. I think the energy might not be a problem as long as it has good clarity and doesn't sound harsh/piercing. Is there any other phones that would suit me though, since I also want good isolation and fit so I can use them when i'm travelling on the bus. Also do they leak a lot of soundas I don't want to distract others? The CK100 is the only phone that fits perfect since I have small ears. The music I listen to are female vocals, Rock/metal, pop, some hip hop and classical.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,857 of 4,748
Tbo, I don't feel confident recommending the EX1000 to you, since their treble has shown to be hit or miss with different people. You appear to be rather sensitive to harshness, so the Sonys seem like a risky purchase. Besides, they don't quite provide the isolation you're looking for.

Have you heard the Final Audios Heaven C or S? I've always thought that these are somewhat similar to the Ortofons, but a tad smoother. And over time I've come to prefer them to the e-Q5/7. Plus, their sound signature can be tuned with Sony hybrid tips, as described here and in the subsequent posts (works the same on the Ortofons btw, so you could also try it with your e-Q7).

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #2,858 of 4,748
Funny I consider the treble of the EX1000 to be its strength in addition to its extended bass and airy sounding. From my own experience, the treble has definitely improved after some heavy hrs of extensive use. Mine is silky smooth now.

I have been using it for about 8 months now and this phone just continues to amaze me. Music sounds just more engaging, fresh and energetic.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,859 of 4,748
Love Music, you could try venting the silicon tips of E-Q7 by making a small hole in the inner wall of their nozzles(cylinder of the silicon) with a needle. A pair of spare tips is not so expensive, so I think it's worth a try. It makes the treble smoother and sweeter while making the bass less definite and less deep a bit. Also the soundstage expands depth-wise.  I think I prefer the sound of the holed tips, but I'd like to listen to others' opinions. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,860 of 4,748
Quote:
Funny I consider the treble of the EX1000 to be its strength in addition to its extended bass and airy sounding. From my own experience, the treble has definitely improved after some heavy hrs of extensive use. Mine is silky smooth now.

I have been using it for about 8 months now and this phone just continues to amaze me. Music sounds just more engaging, fresh and energetic.

I feel the same about my EX1000, but we have to acknowledge that not everyone hears them like this. Since Love Music describes his e-Q7 as having "unrefined upper mids/treble that can sound harsh/piercing", he possibly won't hear the EX1000 as silky smooth either.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #2,861 of 4,748
Quote:

I feel the same about my EX1000, but we have to acknowledge that not everyone hears them like this. Since Love Music describes his e-Q7 as having "unrefined upper mids/treble that can sound harsh/piercing", he possibly won't hear the EX1000 as silky smooth either.

Yeah I feel sorry for those who are physically unfit to reap the benefits of the EX1000. With my modded iPod 5g and the Rx MK2 paired with this phone, I couldn't expect any better sound for my music in terms of 3D imaging, sound stage, clarity, speed, ventilation (I borrowed this word for music), balance, extension/control of bass and treble, energy.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #2,862 of 4,748
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :)

Quote:
Tbo, I don't feel confident recommending the EX1000 to you, since their treble has shown to be hit or miss with different people. You appear to be rather sensitive to harshness, so the Sonys seem like a risky purchase. Besides, they don't quite provide the isolation you're looking for.

Have you heard the Final Audios Heaven C or S? I've always thought that these are somewhat similar to the Ortofons, but a tad smoother. And over time I've come to prefer them to the e-Q5/7. Plus, their sound signature can be tuned with Sony hybrid tips, as described here and in the subsequent posts (works the same on the Ortofons btw, so you could also try it with your e-Q7).

I've never heard the FAD before. The EX1000 massive soundstage is really enticing though, since I really like the concert like experience. Does the 7550 offer a big soundstage since they have a smoother treble?

Also what is the soundstage like on the Heaven C and what are other choices that can even sound better than the eq-7's? 

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #2,863 of 4,748
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :)
I've never heard the FAD before. The EX1000 massive soundstage is really enticing though, since I really like the concert like experience. Does the 7550 offer a big soundstage since they have a smoother treble?

Also what is the soundstage like on the Heaven C and what are other choices that can even sound better than the eq-7's? 

Haven't heard the 7550 yet. They're supposedly more mid-centric, so I'd expect soundstage and airiness to be not quite on par with the EX1000.

The Heaven C's soundstage size is comparable to the e-Q7's in my book, but they're more airy than the Ortofons. All other choices I can think of (e.g. K3003) would be considerably more expensive.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2,865 of 4,748
Quote:
Thanks James. Are the Heaven C's as mid forward/centric as the eq-7's since I like that. Also how's the bass compared to eq-7. Sorry for so many questions.

I can only speak from memory (as my Heaven C's are loaned to a fellow member atm), but I'd say the C's have a tad more bass and the mids are a smidgen less forward. Plus, the Final Audios sound slightly fuller than the Ortofons. The difference is small though even with stock tips, and the C's are tunable with Sony hybrids, as mentioned earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back