Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Feb 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,581 of 4,748
I think it's more of being accustomed to it than burn-in. I have compared a new out of box EX600 to a highly used one, no differences. Grain and spike are always there. The former is slight though. 

@Lee, I have auditioned the EX1000 twice, but both were fairly brief. They did sound very much like the EX600 to me, with the treble being the biggest difference. It was more of a casual lisening, but the treble was more forward. Can't say anything conclusive on the spike and grain until i get James' pair. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #2,582 of 4,748

Quote:
I think it's more of being accustomed to it than burn-in. I have compared a new out of box EX600 to a highly used one, no differences. Grain and spike are always there. The former is slight though. 

Being accustomed to it = Training = Brain burn-in

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #2,583 of 4,748

Quote:

@Lee, I have auditioned the EX1000 twice, but both were fairly brief. They did sound very much like the EX600 to me, with the treble being the biggest difference. It was more of a casual lisening, but the treble was more forward. Can't say anything conclusive on the spike and grain until i get James' pair. 

please do post as soon as you can.. i am really looking forward if there may be improvements on the SQ or not (am not really concern on the spikes and sibilance) and if the 'resolution' is much better on the ex1000 cable..

thank you

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #2,584 of 4,748
still no reviews yet
redface.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #2,586 of 4,748
Quote:

Being accustomed to it = Training = Brain burn-in

"Brain burn-in" sounds negative (like you're fooling yourself). And I don't agree that learning/training = brain burn-in. If you used to listen to cheap piece of plastic for years and tried for the first time hi-end iems like Sony EX1000, it takes some time to understand that, for example, in this particular song there is no need and place for deep boom-bass, and this should sounds right this way, without any veil or "color". Of course, there are some things you'll notice at once like instruments/voice separation, soundstage, but anyway you need some time to get accustomed to hi-end iems. After some time you will not be able to listen to music with your previous cheap earphones even for a 5 minutes... :)

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #2,587 of 4,748
I am very fortunate my cousin bought me the cables at the last minute.

So after listening to the ex1000 cables, i realized that it also need hours of burn in as at first the highs sounded veiled and no spark and rolled off and after 2-3 hours it finally opened.

At first it was underwhelming and thought that it wasn't worth it. And i am very much attached and in love with the um3x's ins separation and intimacy

But after listening for a few hours last night finally the sound has finally synced in..

The SQ was night and day different with the ex600 cables.

The bass goes more deep that i feel it on my chest on some songa and adding more punch but still controlled. It has a very good resolution on the bass dept now.. i'm starting to love the bass again and i felt there's a little bit of warmness on the midbass (maybe because my dap is dark sounding)

The sound really opened up and it's hard to imagine the instrument separation is very close to the um3x but not that intimate.

The sibilance is almost non existent but the um3x makes it obvious on the sonys. I felt that the ex1000 aren't that fatiguing in comparison to the ex600cables.

This time i think the ex1000 claims the top spot for me over the um3x because of how close the instrument separation is plus the timbre and details.

I think maybe if the sonys have also a closed presentation like on the westones, the instrument separation would be on par with it but since it's open it sounds just a bit distant. Ymmv

Lastly, eeggddss was right all along about the Asian cables, it has better resolution.

but it becomes too bright when I listened to my macbook so i'm good with my ipod classic not too bright then..

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #2,589 of 4,748
I have and love EX1000 with Clip+.  I am searching for a better DAP, but more experienced HFier's recommend staying with the Clip+ or maybe an iPhone. 

Soullinker, have you heard SM3? I'm considering that or UM3X.

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #2,592 of 4,748

Quote:
Has anyone compared the FX500s and FX700s?

If you look up Jokers review on IEMs that should lead you to a comparison. But from reading others comparison the FX500 is more harsh and unforgiving on its treble. Its sound stage is about the same size. It also has more sub bass emphasis while the FX700 has more mid bass emphasis. The FX700 treble is smoother and more refined. The FX700 mid range is more detailed and not as recessed as it is on the FX500.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #2,593 of 4,748
I recently purchased a pair of these from zalmar. As of now I'm undecided on what I think. I will continue to let them burn-in before I form a conclusive opinion.

One thing is bothering me though...

On the headphone housing it clearly says MDR EX1000 .... BUT... on the cable it reads "RK-EX600" ... I'm confused. Did I somehow get the EX600 cable with these or is this normal??

EDIT: Sorry, I see two pages back this was discussed. Where does one get the RK-EX1000 cable? Now I'm concerned I may not be getting the most out of these...

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2,594 of 4,748

Quote:
I recently purchased a pair of these from zalmar. As of now I'm undecided on what I think. I will continue to let them burn-in before I form a conclusive opinion.

One thing is bothering me though...

On the headphone housing it clearly says MDR EX1000 .... BUT... on the cable it reads "RK-EX600" ... I'm confused. Did I somehow get the EX600 cable with these or is this normal??

EDIT: Sorry, I see two pages back this was discussed. Where does one get the RK-EX1000 cable? Now I'm concerned I may not be getting the most out of these...

Its not to easy to get a hold of these cables. Kinda funny how its user replaceable but not so easy to get a hold of.
deadhorse.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #2,595 of 4,748
The hissing sibilance of the EX1000 is pretty annoying as presented in those non-vocal tracks. It's like someone experiencing nasal blockage who is trying to suck his nose for breath.

I hope this sibilance will subdue with time. Didn't remember experiencing this sibilance with its little brother EX600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back