Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Dec 19, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #2,387 of 4,748

Quote:
Anaxilus had issues with it when he used the more expensive Japanese cable. So in essence that cable increased treble presence enough for it to ruin the experience for Anaxilus. Many don't believe in the cable bit either but for me its a real thing as well. Back on topic with the EX1000 comparison. I can easily listen to my FX700s at very low volume and be satisfied (usually keep it on Volume 2 or less on my Hifiman 601. For some reason the imaging is phenomenal and the sound is very neutral at low volumes. With the EX1000 I wasn't able to get that satisfaction at such low volumes and when I pumped it up it became very fatiguing :frowning2:.

In all EX spare tips I found only LL size works best. Besides the good seal (lucky me!) the sound is as near FX700 at low volume on HM602, Some of the tips make the EX1000 sound sibilant and fatigue (some with flat mid and missing treble so if volume is increased then it is fatigue to listen to).
Testing same song with EX1000/HM602 you should get better imaging and satisfaction than from EX1000/HM601.

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #2,388 of 4,748

Quote:
In all EX spare tips I found only LL size works best. Besides the good seal (lucky me!) the sound is as near FX700 at low volume on HM602, Some of the tips make the EX1000 sound sibilant and fatigue (some with flat mid and missing treble so if volume is increased then it is fatigue to listen to).
Testing same song with EX1000/HM602 you should get better imaging and satisfaction than from EX1000/HM601.

It wouldn't have mattered for me. I tried every tip at my disposal and had to make a makeshift tip in order to get a nice tight seal and even then the sibilance was still apparent (although not as bad as a bad seal). Even when listening from my desktop rig (DACport LX/UHA4 which is way better than the 601 and even better than the 801 from reviews) I had major sibilance issues. Could be just how my ear canals are shaped and the fact that I am sensitive to the spike. There was just no solution for me. I had the EX1000s for a couple months and was never able to resolve the issue. And when comparing the EX1000 to the FX700 I find them completely different. The EX1000s sound thin and anemic in comparison to the FX700s thick and heavy notes (which I prefer). The FX700 has quite a bit more bass quantity compared to the EX1000 while also maintaining the quality. Timbre is also noticeably more realistic than the EX1000 (everything sounds more natural). EX1000 has a wide presentation while FX700 has a wide presentation that also surrounds you up and down (more 3D).

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #2,389 of 4,748
oh, Sorry to hear that EX1000 does not fit you well ( or your ears do fit the EX1000, just kidding!).
Agreed. I also found that FX700 is still better than EX1000 in term of natural and realistic sound, its timbre is still exceptional and much more than EX1000 especially at low volume.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2,390 of 4,748

Quote:
... And when comparing the EX1000 to the FX700 I find them completely different. The EX1000s sound thin and anemic in comparison to the FX700s thick and heavy notes (which I prefer). The FX700 has quite a bit more bass quantity compared to the EX1000 while also maintaining the quality. Timbre is also noticeably more realistic than the EX1000 (everything sounds more natural). EX1000 has a wide presentation while FX700 has a wide presentation that also surrounds you up and down (more 3D).

Speaking of JVC, anyone compare with FXT90 (it may have been done somewhen, but I haven't kept up with this albatross of a thread)?? 

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #2,392 of 4,748

Quote:
Don't think any reviewer is using this ... tho' they oughta be :wink:

IEC TR 60959: A new 3D model of the ultimate ear
...from UK science weekly mag New Scientist  (16 October 2010; Magazine issue 2782):
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20827826.200-a-3d-model-of-the-ultimate-ear.html
 (Image: National Physical Laboratory)
Not sure which IEC ear the various dummy heads use (e.g., Head Acoustics) but the new IEC ear is supposedly the std. now.
== Article ==
THIS is not just any ear. It is the official standard for the human pinna, or outer ear. Called IEC TR 60959, its shape was defined in 1990 by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) to allow gadget manufacturers to standardise the acoustic performance of their headphones or cellphones.
However, there was a flaw in the measuring method used: the IEC defined the ear's shape using a series of 2D scans, taken at 2-millimetre intervals. That meant individual manufacturers were left the subjective task of filling the gaps between adjacent scans. Consequently, there is unwelcome variation between different models built to the standard.
That could soon change, thanks to researchers at the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) in Teddington, UK, which develops measurement standards. They have laser scanned a number of ears built to the IEC standard and used these to produce the definitive 3D model (pictured), which will remove any ambiguity.
"We're trying to move towards an electronic standard where the outer ear is defined by a 3D computer-aided design model," says Ian Butterworth of the NPL, who hopes the IEC will now take up the new standard.
So whose ear was the original? "It's not written into the standard that this is person X's ear," says Butterworth. It is unlikely that the definitive ear is attached to a specific individual, he says. The standard was probably built from many people.

Oooh...interesting. Didn't know that something like this was actually used when designing cellphones. Makes sense that headphones were tested with this tho. Learnt something new today! Thanks, alphaman!

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #2,394 of 4,748

Quote:
Oooh...interesting. Didn't know that something like this was actually used when designing cellphones. Makes sense that headphones were tested with this tho. Learnt something new today! Thanks, alphaman!

I deleted that post because I realized the new IEC model is -- as it's reported -- OUTER ear only. So it's not relevant for this IEM thread. 
Actually, something worth mentioning is that better inner-ear (canal) "modelling" can bypass all that complex "outer meat". X-feed helps, too. I actually prefer my IE-8 to ANY std. "headphone" I've heard to date (see my Profile). And, uh, loudspeakers ... what are those ? :wink:

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #2,395 of 4,748
^ well dang, alphaman. Agree with you on the X-feed bit tho. I employ it quite often, especially since the Arrow amp has that feature. Seemed a waste not to use it and turns out i love it! :p

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #2,397 of 4,748

Quote:
It wouldn't have mattered for me. I tried every tip at my disposal and had to make a makeshift tip in order to get a nice tight seal and even then the sibilance was still apparent (although not as bad as a bad seal). ....

Have you you tried EX1000 with head direct bi flange tips? Recently I have realized that EX1000 has not produced clear and smooth Mid-High range so I have tried Head direct tips and found that mini bi flange tips are excellent compared to every Sony supplied stocks, EX1000 sound quality amazingly improved in clarity, mid (as least as good as RE262) and high (very detailed and extended) the only catch is if the tips have worked for you(with RE262/272) and EX1000 bass is reduced but still much better than RE272 in terms of  volume and quality, see pic of the tips:

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #2,398 of 4,748

You see those large tips on the right side of the picture... A headfier was kind enough to give me a pair of those including the monster single flanges and those large double flange tips would just sit in my ear canal, not giving me a seal at all lol (this was on my IE8). The only way that tip could even give me a remote seal is if the top of the tip was as wide as the base of the bottom tip lol (my ear canals are that large) :p. I was lucky enough though to discover a similar sound signature with my modded denon 5000s :).
Quote:
Have you you tried EX1000 with head direct bi flange tips? Recently I have realized that EX1000 has not produced clear and smooth Mid-High range so I have tried Head direct tips and found that mini bi flange tips are excellent compared to every Sony supplied stocks, EX1000 sound quality amazingly improved in clarity, mid (as least as good as RE262) and high (very detailed and extended) the only catch is if the tips have worked for you(with RE262/272) and EX1000 bass is reduced but still much better than RE272 in terms of  volume and quality, see pic of the tips:

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #2,399 of 4,748

Quote:
I'd hardly say he's the only case if you actually read the threads.  Feel free to answer your own question here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDREX1000.pdf

Look at the spike at 5k'ish and the corresponding spike in the impedance curve suggesting a correlating effect relatively dependent on volume.  I had to turn the volume down to avoid it.

A 5k emphasis will help openess or imaging but can be fatiguing as a peak and that impedance bump may indicate it being a resonance.

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #2,400 of 4,748

Quote:
A 5k emphasis will help openess or imaging but can be fatiguing as a peak and that impedance bump may indicate it being a resonance.

Ahhh, resonance might be the key.  Maybe we'll get that measured on a CSD one day.  A slight elevation isn't too bad if it's smoother and balanced but as a spike that can be problematic.  That being said, I do find the EX1000 more neutrally balanced than the FX700 w/ better mids and overall resolving power.  I think the two are more complimentary than comparable.  If you have no issues w/ the spike.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back