Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Aug 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #1,891 of 4,748

Please let me make this very clear: dogears is by no means the main culprit here, not by a very long shot - he, in fact, is someone who hasn't posted all that much in this thread, BUT his original (unedited) post was the last straw which prompted me to ask people to get back on topic. It seems other people felt the same way I did and I'm sure other people following this thread would feel the same way whether they're HF'ers or visitors.

This has been going on for a few weeks now and this thread, I'm afraid to say, has lately turned into something VERY different to what it was not long ago, ie a thread where mostly the EX1000 was being discussed. I know some people - some of whom have been constantly posting lately - were pretty happy about the way things were going and probably were unaware this could be quite annoying, frustrating and detrimental to an otherwise fine thread.

Humour/joking is perfectly fine, very welcome sometimes and even necessary, but in this thread not only has 'humour' really got out of hand but other totally unrelated topics have lately been discussed/talked about. This really is off-putting for those - and there are many - who come here to find out about a fine IEM, the EX1000. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #1,892 of 4,748
OK here we go. What are your least favorite (or downright dislike) elements of the EX1000?

Believe it or not, mine's the cable. Too long for my needs (and the short one is too short).

(Let's bring this train back on its tracks)

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #1,894 of 4,748
...edited post...

(funny I'm not seeing the "Edited by" line :p) I'm not a mod! :D

edit: ?

edit: ok, I'm going back to this post after a day :p

He's 100% sure... when I did not edit it :p :p :p I should be able to prove this :D There should be an explanation :D

edit: so there's a minimum time of 30mins? Boo! :p

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #1,895 of 4,748
Mine would have to be, first and foremost, the price, which as of late has been slowly but surely becoming more and more reasonable, considering the top-tier competitor prices. However, given the similarities between the EX1000 and EX600, I'd see the EX1000 at $300 at best, though that's just me. Second is the 90 day warranty, which has me concerned down the line. Then there's the paint fading, which while only a minor gripe, is aggravating since it's almost inevitable, and bound to occur, irrespective of how well they're cared for. That's really all I'm concerned with. Sonically speaking, I don't find them flawed any which way, which is why I've always been willing to look past the aforementioned concerns.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #1,896 of 4,748
Quote:
...edited post...

(funny I'm not seeing the "Edited by" line :p) I'm not a mod! :D

edit: ?

If the change is made quick enough, the "edit" notification doesn't appear under the post.
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #1,897 of 4,748

Quote:
OK here we go. What are your least favorite (or downright dislike) elements of the EX1000?

Upper mid/lower treble spike and fit.  I learned to 'deal' with both.  I'm going to throw in finish and build on the plug too.  Everyone is always praising their build because stuff says Sony on it.  Allow me take a minor dump on that for the sake of being contrarian and a bit more accurate.  
wink_face.gif

Oh, price!  $250-$290 please.  Thx.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,898 of 4,748
I find your post humorous because I did not edit my post :p Unfortunately for me, I have no way of proving it because it seems this forum has 30mins minimum time for editing before its tagged :p Darn it :D

Quote:

Yes, 100% sure you edited your post, and no humour this time, either, I'm afraid.

It's all very well if you now decide to quote something I have written in the past, but it's my impressions not yours. There are others (eg Anaxilus, Inks) who have a different take on the sonic differences between the EX600/EX1000 and/or MDR-7550. In your post you originally only spoke of the 7550s, and it was only after your post that I finally decided to suggest getting back on topic, just a couple of minutes after your post. Then, it now transpires, you went back and (conveniently) edited your post, this time mentioning the EX1000 when it wasn't there in the first place. In fact, your post was the very last straw which prompted my post.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,900 of 4,748
Sorry lee730... I think I see your point. In its holistic sound, I have to admit it's (MDR7550) not analytical.

Quote:
I'm not sure if id call the EX1000 analytical. Then again its all subjective. I think the more emphasis on the highs kinda takes the analytical bit away. They are very balanced but I feel not quite analytical.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #1,901 of 4,748
I still think all the discussion garners interest for EX1k, it's an active thread and active threads are easily noticed, free publicity for the EX1k.

There's not much to discuss about the EX1k other than saying it's the best IEM ever rivalling top-tier customs and then post youtube links to songs and everyone in the EX1k club watches them and says that was great.

Edit: Sadly I'm not part of that club but I have heard them and they were great and I have the EX600 on the way now which I found more tailored for my taste in music.

Edit: On second thought, music, why don't you make a thread called "Are custom IEM's overrated? Yes, the EX1000 is better than all of them" and let that one go OT and keep this one strictly on-topic? :wink:

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #1,904 of 4,748

Quote:
I'd really like to get some customs tips for my IE8s. Not sure how to go about that though and how much it would entail?

I'm going to be spending about $130 on my custom tips, I'm going to be using the same mold I used for my UM56's.
But I have NO choice, I cannot get a seal....

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,905 of 4,748
I just got my ex1000 today and well all I can say is... That I have difficulties breathing!!! My heart is racing listening to the same music, and not many earphones/headphones managed to do that... Getting myself rid of the Se535 was the right way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back