Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jul 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #1,066 of 4,748
I think ljokerl is a very fine car-racer and I have not seen any bias and not much subjectivity in his reviews.

I find some reviewers on head-fi are too "positive" and simply talk about the good parts of every IEM they've tried and I feel I don't learn as much from those reviews, ClieOS is one such example, as much as I like shigzeo's reviews he is another such example where I have a hard time understanding how an IEM sounds, when you browse his blog every single review is positive, I'd like more critique and weaknesses pointed out or direct comparisons to other products the way that DAC/Amp review guy does very very well. As good as they are at reviewing, I ran into a problem researching the Sensaphonics J-Phonic since the only reviews of it were by ClieOS and Shigzeo and I had a hard time getting a picture of how it sounds, I had to rely on ClieOS saying it's a step above the GR07 and RE262, I think when I hear it I'll have much more distinct feelings and descriptions of how it sounds as that is usually the case.

James444's reviews are creative and he gives very good analogies which give me a great idea of how the products sound like "the EX1000 is a mercedes benz, I think you're looking for a sports car" or "The W4 has two bass poodles, and the EX1000 is one giant woof woof".

Overall most reviewers on head-fi are pretty good and that's why I like this place, there aren't many flavoured or biased reviewers, but DFKT is one, he is very good at critiquing and comic-relief but he really "loves" or "hates" whatever he touches, actually his reviews on that anythingbutapple place seemed really good to me but then I got a Cowon S9 and realised I think I don't share his sonic preferences at all as he seems to love "enhanced" sound or something so I completely glossed over his future exaltations like at the HJE900, but I'm sure he's a nice guy.

average_joe does great reviews but I don't get why it takes him so long to figure out how something sounds, maybe he's just busy and can't listen to music half the day like some of us Lol.

As for pianist I haven't seen many opinions by him yet really so I'm not sure what the controversy is about but I am looking forward to receiving my RE0 to see what all the fuss is about.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post but I guess I just want to point out that it seems like head-fi has lots of good car-racers that agree on which car drives better, moreso than wine-tasters that are biased to certain grapes and can sense chocolate and cinnamon with touches of creosote in their '57.

Sometimes I get confused by certain audiophile terms on head-fi and then turn to this glossary http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50 which helps, but I do think some people use certain words differently, which can cause confusion or a certain illusion of subjectivity.

Edit: I forgot the IMO.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #1,067 of 4,748
do you have problems in the EX700 EX600 and EX1000 , especially imroved treble , so I am very curious corrected sibilant sound harsh , I do not want to live a new disappoinment , thank you.

I'm sorry for bad english
redface.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,068 of 4,748

Quote:
I think ljokerl is a very fine car-racer and I have not seen any bias and not much subjectivity in his reviews.

I find some reviewers on head-fi are too "positive" and simply talk about the good parts of every IEM they've tried and I feel I don't learn as much from those reviews, ClieOS is one such example, as much as I like shigzeo's reviews he is another such example where I have a hard time understanding how an IEM sounds, when you browse his blog every single review is positive, I'd like more critique and weaknesses pointed out or direct comparisons to other products the way that DAC/Amp review guy does very very well. As good as they are at reviewing, I ran into a problem researching the Sensaphonics J-Phonic since the only reviews of it were by ClieOS and Shigzeo and I had a hard time getting a picture of how it sounds, I had to rely on ClieOS saying it's a step above the GR07 and RE262, I think when I hear it I'll have much more distinct feelings and descriptions of how it sounds as that is usually the case.

James444's reviews are creative and he gives very good analogies which give me a great idea of how the products sound like "the EX1000 is a mercedes benz, I think you're looking for a sports car" or "The W4 has two bass poodles, and the EX1000 is one giant woof woof".

Overall most reviewers on head-fi are pretty good and that's why I like this place, there aren't many flavoured or biased reviewers, but DFKT is one, he is very good at critiquing and comic-relief but he really "loves" or "hates" whatever he touches, actually his reviews on that anythingbutapple place seemed really good to me but then I got a Cowon S9 and realised I think I don't share his sonic preferences at all as he seems to love "enhanced" sound or something so I completely glossed over his future exaltations like at the HJE900, but I'm sure he's a nice guy.

average_joe does great reviews but I don't get why it takes him so long to figure out how something sounds, maybe he's just busy and can't listen to music half the day like some of us Lol.

As for pianist I haven't seen many opinions by him yet really so I'm not sure what the controversy is about but I am looking forward to receiving my RE0 to see what all the fuss is about.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post but I guess I just want to point out that it seems like head-fi has lots of good car-racers that agree on which car drives better, moreso than wine-tasters that are biased to certain grapes and can sense chocolate and cinnamon with touches of creosote in their '57.

Sometimes I get confused by certain audiophile terms on head-fi and then turn to this glossary http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50 which helps, but I do think some people use certain words differently, which can cause confusion or a certain illusion of subjectivity.

I don't know about impressions and SonyEx1000 but this thread is getting interesting.

popcorn.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,069 of 4,748
     Quote:
do you have problems in the EX700 EX600 and EX1000 , especially imroved treble , so I am very curious corrected sibilant sound harsh , I do not want to live a new disappoinment , thank you.

redface.gif

Many people do not like the EX700.  There are no complaints on the EX600/1000 sound yet, the "improved treble" is just some extra sweetness and clarity around 6kHz.  Sony seems to have somehow corrected the deafening harshness around 1kHz, perhaps new shape of the housing.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #1,070 of 4,748
This thread is a train wreck right now.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but I think the JVC FX700's isolate better than the Sony's.  It seems to be b/c the body of the JVC's rests against your ear, helping with some of the isolation (albeit minor).  The Sony's just have the tip and that's about it. Since the driver housing is not facing across your ear, there is no extra help.  I do find the "isolation" hybrids with the foam do help a tiny bit.  Just an observation for those that might be interested.

@leylandi, I have not experienced any sibilance with my Sony's but I don't think a lot of my music of choice has much in the recordings.  A poster a while back was experiencing it but when he posted sample songs, they were sibilant with any phone I tried.  Don't just take one person's opinion on this though.  Hopefully other owners will chime in.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #1,072 of 4,748
Quote:

redface.gif

I can only speak in regards to the EX1000, to which I haven't experienced any harsh treble, even when listening to reasonably low bitrate tracks or internet radio streams. Though I have but very few tracks in my collection, in which harsh high are to be expected, simply due to poor recording. Other than that, nothing at all noteworthy on my side.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,073 of 4,748

Quote:
I don't know if it has been mentioned before but I think the JVC FX700's isolate better than the Sony's.  It seems to be b/c the body of the JVC's rests against your ear, helping with some of the isolation (albeit minor).  The Sony's just have the tip and that's about it. Since the driver housing is not facing across your ear, there is no extra help.  I do find the "isolation" hybrids with the foam do help a tiny bit.  Just an observation for those that might be interested.

However I have to say the regular hybrids sound better.  Isolation tips are going back in the box.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #1,074 of 4,748
My Zo personal subwoofer amp arrives tomorrow. I'll post any noteworthy changes I hear, since people who own one practically swear by it, for what it's intended to do anyways. The name says it all.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #1,076 of 4,748
While joker is one of the few reviewers in which I sense more objectively than most, his sense of what is technically better is still fundamentally biased. Every user is going to prioritize certain aspects more than others and put more weight on them. There are so many variables that go into the sound of an IEM and the perception of those aspects is so variable it's like one's tastebuds. So yeah this hobby is very subjective and we have to live with it, if it were a competition we will all have the same IEM. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #1,077 of 4,748

Quote:

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but I think the JVC FX700's isolate better than the Sony's. 

It has.  In fact, I and a few others have felt the same way.  When I had the FX700 I was actually disappointed how much isolation I was getting from it.  

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #1,078 of 4,748
I get about the same isolation lol, I prefer the FX500/700s with a shallow insertion though which brings the isolation down a nod. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #1,080 of 4,748
You would want an IEM that has a peak at the 2k-4k region as that brings in a "crunch" into the instruments. I recommend the HJE900s, FX500, FX700 and CKM99s.  I'm sure there's more but I'm not into that kind of stuff all that much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back