Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Sep 6, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #4,666 of 4,748
I've been ignoring my EX800ST for a while and forgot why I liked these. They are so universally good in any tunes I put it on, and aren't as sensitive with Output Z like a lot of multi BA sets. I really need to bring this baby out more.
That start from today, I switched from my Ananda to the 800ST while planning to get out of the house and I really don't feel like I'm missing anything :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #4,667 of 4,748
Thanks a lot for your info

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15858926

But, sadly it's too late I have brought the fake unpackaged MUC-M12SB1 almost 6 months ago because the seller claims the sound is no different from the one with the package and he said is not fake but OEM without packaging. By the way, have you compare the sound original and fake Kimber? is that really different? I cannot find a thread that reviews sound comparisons between the fake Kimber MUC-m12SB1 and the original.

I want to make a custom cable, do you have a recommendation to make the sibilance peak treble disappear or lowing the peak with jack balance 4.4, I already have the mmcx converter from willow audio, and origin cable but 3,5

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #4,668 of 4,748
I want to make a custom cable, do you have a recommendation to make the sibilance peak treble disappear or lowing the peak with jack balance 4.4, I already have the mmcx converter from willow audio, and origin cable but 3,5

Recently I was burning-in my new ad2000x from Audiotechnica. I thought to myself, why not?? and then I plug in the Ex1000 along with it to the Hugo. At this point I already had ~50 hr on Ex1000 and it still has some nasty peaks. So I was running them initially for 10 hours overnight at high volume (relative to normal listening that is), and check on them every 5 hours later. The sibilance peak had gone down significantly to a level that it is no longer bothering me, and the sound quality had also improved a lot. Turns out normal listening of ~50 hour is not enough to burn it in:L3000: I think the volume being high is the key.

I plan to burn them in further, can't wait to see what is around the corner.

Oct 4, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #4,669 of 4,748
Mine took over 200 hours to settle! Keep burning :)

Oct 4, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #4,670 of 4,748
These are my first dynamic driver headphones. Is that normal for dynamic driver IEM/headphones to require so many hours of running in?
That seems not the case for balanced armatures. I remember my Er4B came out of the box just fine :L3000: and had not change much since I unboxed them

Oct 4, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #4,671 of 4,748
These are my first dynamic driver headphones. Is that normal for dynamic driver IEM/headphones to require so many hours of running in?
That seems not the case for balanced armatures. I remember my Er4B came out of the box just fine :L3000: and had not change much since I unboxed them
That's cause burn in is placebo and an old tactic that salesman came up with . When customers wanted to return the product, the salesman said that it needed to burn in X amount of time to fit better, sound better, look better etc so the warranty will go out when burning in. Then customer can't get the money back.

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #4,672 of 4,748
That's cause burn in is placebo and an old tactic that salesman came up with . When customers wanted to return the product, the salesman said that it needed to burn in X amount of time to fit better, sound better, look better etc so the warranty will go out when burning in. Then customer can't get the money back.
It's not actually^^ Burn in is a real thing and with the ex1000 the difference is night and day.

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #4,673 of 4,748

Some of this is true but I heard dynamic drivers changes so many times that I'm sure there are some that are burning in. I also had two EX1K (and still have), one new and one with 1000+ hrs on the clock and changes was obvious to my ears, when compared.

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #4,674 of 4,748
Yup! Take my ier-z1r for example.. I have heard absolutely no difference in sound since I bought them and they have well over 100+ hours by now. Same with my Z5s.. No difference in sound even when I put a $500 custom cable on them.
The EX1000 though... like I said; night and day difference^^

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #4,675 of 4,748
It's not actually^^ Burn in is a real thing and with the ex1000 the difference is night and day.
Out of the box the Ex1000 sounds like music from an old school radio receive, with serious treble roll off. Over a few days the roll off went better and stabilized. I thought that was its sound, i.e. having significantly less detail than my Er4 and sometimes sibilant. I was starting to enjoy just the way it is :L3000:

Then the "accident" happen. I tried to burn it in at high volume. Just over night the sibilant issue was way more manageable, the detail are coming back, and the excellent separation of the Ex1000 is starting to shine. It sounds wide, detailed, bass go deep and separation especially is very good.

I wonder what would be its final stabilized sound quality/signature. How's yours??

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #4,676 of 4,748
The ex1000 was the very first pair of iems I ever bought so I had nothing to compared them to. I still have some treble spikes here and there but that's mainly due to the fact that I always play music on an insalely high volume (106db full gain).
The main difference I noticed during burn in was the bass. They went from basically no bass to the most awesome bass I've ever heard in an iem. At one point I could actually hear the bass getting better by each track and it's the coolest audio experience I've ever had to this very day^^

Oct 5, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #4,677 of 4,748
The ex1000 was the very first pair of iems I ever bought so I had nothing to compared them to. I still have some treble spikes here and there but that's mainly due to the fact that I always play music on an insalely high volume (106db full gain).
The main difference I noticed during burn in was the bass. They went from basically no bass to the most awesome bass I've ever heard in an iem. At one point I could actually hear the bass getting better by each track and it's the coolest audio experience I've ever had to this very day^^
Thats awesome! I also notice the bass had extended deeper. Since the last 10+ hr burn in I had stop as I want to focus on burning my headphone first. I don't want to just leave the ex1000 there and burn itself without me watching it grow.

By the way you really want to tone down a bit on ur volume, you don't want to look in real life like your profile picture (which is cute in its own way tho)!
I had slight tinnitus developed a few months ago, as I was listening to my er4B for long hrs at 90+db. It had only gone away after I stopped just that. I haven't look back since.

Anyways I see you have 2x Ex1000. I have 2x er4B too:L3000:
You really like the ex1000 don't you?

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #4,678 of 4,748
Yeah I know you're right. I'm pushing 40 now and I get random ringing in my ears more often now regardles weather I'm listening to music or not.
Yes I quickly realised that the ex1000 is (for me at least) the greatest Iem ever made. So as soon as I learned that they had been discontinued I immediately bought a second pair^^

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #4,679 of 4,748
I also wanna add that I would trade 5 pairs of the ier-z1r for 1 pair of the ex1000, that's how much I love them. They are so unique that I really think most people have no idea what they are capable of :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back