Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Aug 31, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #3,076 of 4,748
My EX1000 looked so awful after yrs of heavy use with hardly any regular cleaning. The stock foam materials were so oily and dirty and worn out to a point it started affecting the audio. So I decided to pulled out all the foam materials . First I listened without anything put back in and it wasn't bad. Then I tried filling with some foams and it lost bass. But when I tried filling both housing with the stuff shown in the pic below, it sounds wonderful. I saved this little box when I bought a fountain pen nib from a vendor.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #3,078 of 4,748
Has anyone tried protecting the paint on the housing from fading? I'm thinking of using a layer of clear lacquer, maybe clear nail varnish (lol) when I get mine in the next few days. Please can anyone tell me if that's a good or bad idea? :D

If you haven't already don't do this! Nail varnish will erode any coating and dull any plastic in makes contact with

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #3,080 of 4,748

Thanks for the heads up! Bad idea afterall! Fortunately I haven't done it :) What about clear lacquer? WIll that produce the same result?

Honestly, I'm not sure, I can see where you are going with the thought, and there probably is some sort of resin that will protect it. However, consider that what ever you put on it, itself will dull, degrade and tarnish faster than any metal. Worse, whatever adhedes to the metal will likely peal off any paint when it comes off.

I'm using a 7550 now, and its housing, mostly plastic with some metal, seems to be a good compromise in presentation and durability. I owned a pair of EX600 before for a year and would love to get the EX1000, but the 7550 are probably the best bang for the buck and for what I use them for seem to be balanced frequency wise.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3,081 of 4,748
Thinking of changing my ex1k cables to beat audio cronus... Any users here with that?

Also maybe time to change out the filter foams... Any idea where to get foams filters that dont change the sound? Thanksss

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #3,082 of 4,748
I have tried both.   I had VSonic GR07 for 3 years, and started looking for an upgrade.   Tried DN-2000J, my comparison here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/755301/dunu-dn-2000j-more-than-evolution/1695#post_12443513
Then finally tried EX1000,   and EX1000 stays.

GR07 and EX1000 are more similar than different, so EX1000 is a natural upgrade to it.  While DUNU 2000J is quite different, I just can not get use to it.

During my search I have also tried IE800, IE80, IE8, Cardas A8, Hifiman RE400, RE600,  ER4P, ER4S.
EX1000 is the only one stays.

Not because EXK is a perfect IEM,  it is not,  I hope the mids can be more present, I hope there is no sibilance....   Why it stays is because it has all the great of GR07,  and plus something GR07 doesn't have, and what I was looking for:   more pleasant and less clinical, better sound stage and better immersiveness, more relaxed.  
It is more of a complementary to GR07, I will switch between them from time to time...

Quote:
  Anyone have any comments on the EX-1000 vs. the DN-2000? Torn between the two...any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #3,083 of 4,748

Yeah, I actually have owned the EX-1000 twice now (last being just a month ago or there abouts) and I've actually ended up sticking with my Baldoor/Mrice E100. Better than the EX-1000 or any other headphone I've owned.

It has more realistic sound stage, MUCH better natural bass which is deeper, harder, and more textured, mids that will melt your eardrums, and highs that that are crisp and clean while having no sibilance. Quite the very remarkable headphone. Oh, I also paid $11.99 for it off eBay. 

Yes, it's an earbud, so fit isn't as great as I would like as IEM's are much easier to take on and off and offer a more consistent sound.  Past that though they're the best thing I've heard at this point. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #3,084 of 4,748
Thanks, just bought Mrice E100A with microphone off Amazon.  Better than EX1000 for $21? I don't have any expectation on it,  any ways at lease I can use it for making phone calls.

I just tried EX1000 with Schiit Yggdrasil (and Matrix M-Stage as amp),   this nice R2R DAC removed most of the sibilance! On most of the songs EX1000 now have even less sibilance than Hifiman HE560, and on few songs it has more sibilance than HE560.   In other words, the amount of sibilance becomes acceptable.
What replaces sibilance is very precise and focused tremble.

Quote:

Yeah, I actually have owned the EX-1000 twice now (last being just a month ago or there abouts) and I've actually ended up sticking with my Baldoor/Mrice E100. Better than the EX-1000 or any other headphone I've owned.

It has more realistic sound stage, MUCH better natural bass which is deeper, harder, and more textured, mids that will melt your eardrums, and highs that that are crisp and clean while having no sibilance. Quite the very remarkable headphone. Oh, I also paid $11.99 for it off eBay. 

Yes, it's an earbud, so fit isn't as great as I would like as IEM's are much easier to take on and off and offer a more consistent sound.  Past that though they're the best thing I've heard at this point. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #3,086 of 4,748

Good luck with the E100! I've found in my testing that the audio quality and sound varies greatly between them. Working with Mrice now on the problem. They will have a "reference" pair in hand shortly (in route to Hong Kong now) to test so the quality issues will be resolved shortly. Once you get your E100's let me know what you think of them because, as I've said, the ones I have are the best headphone I've heard. Fit can be a problem too so let me know how that goes.
Haven't heard the Mrice E100, but imo it's virtually impossible for a non-sealing earbud to have deeper bass than the EX1000. Looking forward to other's impressions...

Nah, it's not impossible at all. The EX1000 being pretty bass light already makes them pretty easy to beat by a lot of buds and IEM's. Yeah, the E100's bass is the best I've heard in a bud or IEM to date. The JH16Pro FP has MORE bass...a lot more...but it was very bloated and loose. Other than that the E100 is king in my book so far. 

They really something that have to be heard to be believed. I wouldn't believe it myself either had it not been for the fact that my ears can't lie to me. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #3,087 of 4,748

Nah, it's not impossible at all. The EX1000 being pretty bass light already makes them pretty easy to beat by a lot of buds and IEM's. Yeah, the E100's bass is the best I've heard in a bud or IEM to date. The JH16Pro FP has MORE bass...a lot more...but it was very bloated and loose. Other than that the E100 is king in my book so far. 

They really something that have to be heard to be believed. I wouldn't believe it myself either had it not been for the fact that my ears can't lie to me. 

Deep bass is about extension, not impact. I don't doubt that a lot of earbuds have more bass impact than the EX1000. But I very much doubt that any of them can keep up in extension.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #3,088 of 4,748
Deep bass is about extension, not impact. I don't doubt that a lot of earbuds have more bass impact than the EX1000. But I very much doubt that any of them can keep up in extension.

Hence me saying that the likes of the JH16 has more bass. The extension, depth, impact, and accuracy of the E100's bass betters the EX1000. It really is that good. Believe it or not.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #3,089 of 4,748
Believe it or not.

Well, I remain skeptical and look forward to yfei's comparison. We all have our preferences and yours seem towards harder hitting bass, whereas I think the EX1000's bass is pretty much spot-on.

Also, I've heard all three "Category 1" earbuds in ClieOS' roundup and would rank none of them higher than the EX1000. And according to him, the Baldoor E100 are "Category 2".

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #3,090 of 4,748

Well, I remain skeptical and look forward to yfei's comparison. We all have our preferences and yours seem towards harder hitting bass, whereas I think the EX1000's bass is pretty much spot-on.

Also, I've heard all three "Category 1" earbuds in ClieOS' roundup and would rank none of them higher than the EX1000. And according to him, the Baldoor E100 are "Category 2".

Earbuds are subjective. 24bits thinks the E100 is way above the MX985 here:

http://headfonics.com/2015/05/the-12-e100-iem-by-baldoor/

And I've heard the Zen, was one of the first to receive the review pair a while back, and yeah...no where near as good as my E100. Bass was similar but the mids and highs were much more recessed and no where near the level of clarity and crispness.

So I call into question the pair of E100's ClieOS received or how his fit was. Again, the E100's vary wildly, hence why I'm working with Mrice. I've literally received over 50 pairs of them since my review and only two pairs of those 50 sound like my review pair. So I doubt even yfei will receive a "good" pair. 

It will be fixed soon though hopefully!

And no, I'm not a bass head. I just prefer to hear the music the way it was meant to be heard. If the bass is there that's because it was meant to be heard (or felt). I still place sound stage and clarity above all of which the E100 has plenty of as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back