Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jan 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2,971 of 4,748
  Welcome back and we forgive you. LOL.

x2.
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,972 of 4,748
EX-1000 still amazes me despite having it for a while and listening to it for so many hours. 

My only issue is the treble spike I hear. Is there any way I can find out what frequacy it is so I can eq it down? Is there a method I can apply? Thanks in advance. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #2,973 of 4,748
  EX-1000 amazes despite having it for a while and listening to it for so many hours. 

My only issue is the treble spike I hear. Is there any way I can find out what frequacy it is so I can eq it down? Is there a method I can apply? Thanks in advance. 

I have absolutely no issue with the treble, in fact I love the treble as much as I love its bass.

I know each individual responds to the treble differently. It may be due to the recording and source (my guess and most likely). Just curious, what source/amp are you using and what type of music do you listen? I mostly listen to classical music and those violins can be very treble demanding.

If your audio path is clean and transparent allowing the music flow effortlessly without or with the least resistance, you will have an open and airy sounding which will smooth the treble.

Man I love the energy released from the EX1000's treble. It makes music more fresh and fun to listen.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #2,974 of 4,748

I have absolutely no issue with the treble, in fact I love the treble as much as I love its bass.

I know each individual responds to the treble differently. It may be due to the recording and source (my guess and most likely). Just curious, what source/amp are you using and what type of music do you listen? I mostly listen to classical music and those violins can be very treble demanding.

If your audio path is clean and transparent allowing the music flow effortlessly without or with the least resistance, you will have an open and airy sounding which will smooth the treble.

Man I love the energy released from the EX1000's treble. It makes music more fresh and fun to listen.

I listen to a large variety. I have 7 portable amp out of which two are considered to be the warm sounding one. I have the treble spike with 627x too. I have tested this with my friends and they do not seem to have the same issue as me. 

EX-1000 is one amazing IEM for sure, better than IE800 by a large margin but my only reason why I cannot use it as often as I like is those occasional hot treble that sometimes ruins the moment for me. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,975 of 4,748
Cut two small pieces out of a (dried) alcohol swab and put them between tips and nozzles. It's a subtle change, but it will smooth out the treble a bit.

Like DMinor, I love the EX1000's treble energy. But I usually listen only at low to medium volume. At higher volume, I can relate to them becoming a tad too treble happy with certain kinds of music. The additional dampening effect from a thin piece of fabric between tip and nozzle takes care of that.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #2,977 of 4,748
You might have to try different materials and see what works for you.

I don't have a graph for the EX1000, but here are Rin's measurements for the IE800. Note how everything below 5kHz remains unaffected:

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #2,978 of 4,748
If you guys find any piece(s) of classical music that sounds treble hot and uncomfortable, please let me know the specific recording and I'll test it with my gears. I like listening to music at high vol (not terribly high) non-stop for long hrs. No fatigue to my ears with the EX1000 blasting. All my music is flac'ed at 16/44.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2,979 of 4,748
If you want to EQ the EX1000, try it with a notch around 8-12 kHz.

For me, the 1k is getting smoother in treble over the time, or maybe I getting smoother (or my sweat made this ^^) ... on the other hand I have to commit, that the little treble spot makes music alive in low and mid volume levels and fits the superb base perfect.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #2,980 of 4,748
  It wouldn't have mattered for me. I tried every tip at my disposal and had to make a makeshift tip in order to get a nice tight seal and even then the sibilance was still apparent (although not as bad as a bad seal). Even when listening from my desktop rig (DACport LX/UHA4 which is way better than the 601 and even better than the 801 from reviews) I had major sibilance issues. Could be just how my ear canals are shaped and the fact that I am sensitive to the spike. There was just no solution for me. I had the EX1000s for a couple months and was never able to resolve the issue. And when comparing the EX1000 to the FX700 I find them completely different. The EX1000s sound thin and anemic in comparison to the FX700s thick and heavy notes (which I prefer). The FX700 has quite a bit more bass quantity compared to the EX1000 while also maintaining the quality. Timbre is also noticeably more realistic than the EX1000 (everything sounds more natural). EX1000 has a wide presentation while FX700 has a wide presentation that also surrounds you up and down (more 3D).

Sony EX1000 truly sounds thin, though people say 500 hours of burn in will solve the problem, which I seriously doubt.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,981 of 4,748
Originally Posted by stormmilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It wouldn't have mattered for me. I tried every tip at my disposal and had to make a makeshift tip in order to get a nice tight seal and even then the sibilance was still apparent (although not as bad as a bad seal). Even when listening from my desktop rig (DACport LX/UHA4 which is way better than the 601 and even better than the 801 from reviews) I had major sibilance issues. Could be just how my ear canals are shaped and the fact that I am sensitive to the spike. There was just no solution for me. I had the EX1000s for a couple months and was never able to resolve the issue. And when comparing the EX1000 to the FX700 I find them completely different. The EX1000s sound thin and anemic in comparison to the FX700s thick and heavy notes (which I prefer). The FX700 has quite a bit more bass quantity compared to the EX1000 while also maintaining the quality. Timbre is also noticeably more realistic than the EX1000 (everything sounds more natural). EX1000 has a wide presentation while FX700 has a wide presentation that also surrounds you up and down (more 3D).

Sony EX1000 truly sounds thin, though people say 500 hours of burn in will solve the problem, which I seriously doubt.

I can trade my Heir 4.Ai (with Magnus 1 cable) with your EX1000, PM me if you are interested. The Heir 4.Ai sure doesn't sound thin.

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #2,982 of 4,748
EX-1000 still amazes me despite having it for a while and listening to it for so many hours. 

I have reunited with the EX1000 and I'm working on an EQ to use with James444's alcohol swab filter mod. If you have an iDevice, shoot me a pm for some info on free tone generators that help pinpoint the problem areas to EQ.

They only sound thin if you are used to items with much more accentuated bass and lower mids. When I first put them on the second time around my initial thought was- thin? It's a freaking subwoofer in my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back