Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Dec 25, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #4,321 of 4,748
Has anyone found a dd+ba hybrid thats an actual upgrade from the ex1k? If someone was to tune a dd w lower mids helping out, and sub bass like the ex1k along with the soundstage, with ba for treble and mid+highs, i really would be done here. Even if it cost more than 1k i want to find it. I love the ex1k but i wish the mids as far as guitars are concerned, had more crunch and emotion. Then, i love the audiosense t800 for mid clarity and treble detail as it bests the ex1k in both. Ex1k wins in bass obviously, and soundstage. But the all ba setup doesn't give guitars the emotion that dynamics do, so, im kinda stuck in a love triangle. I miss the sound of guitars on the magnum v5 drivers(grado offshoot fullsize hp) but, they had faults to the point i got rid of them. Ive asked before, and really don't know where to look anymore. Maybe it hasnt been created yet. But man, i have the sound sig in my head and have only gotten close to it on a properly setup hifiman he4 rig(once again full size). BUT, my fostex build(full sized) bests it on overall mid emotional attachment, warmth, and vocal timbre. Please someone find me my endgame, hemi is going cookoo for cocoa puffs over here. I love iems because they give me the easiest access currently, so i want to find my unicorn.

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #4,322 of 4,748
Has anyone found a dd+ba hybrid thats an actual upgrade from the ex1k? If someone was to tune a dd w lower mids helping out, and sub bass like the ex1k along with the soundstage, with ba for treble and mid+highs, i really would be done here. Even if it cost more than 1k i want to find it. I love the ex1k but i wish the mids as far as guitars are concerned, had more crunch and emotion. Then, i love the audiosense t800 for mid clarity and treble detail as it bests the ex1k in both. Ex1k wins in bass obviously, and soundstage. But the all ba setup doesn't give guitars the emotion that dynamics do, so, im kinda stuck in a love triangle. I miss the sound of guitars on the magnum v5 drivers(grado offshoot fullsize hp) but, they had faults to the point i got rid of them. Ive asked before, and really don't know where to look anymore. Maybe it hasnt been created yet. But man, i have the sound sig in my head and have only gotten close to it on a properly setup hifiman he4 rig(once again full size). BUT, my fostex build(full sized) bests it on overall mid emotional attachment, warmth, and vocal timbre. Please someone find me my endgame, hemi is going cookoo for cocoa puffs over here. I love iems because they give me the easiest access currently, so i want to find my unicorn.

Have you tried IER-M9? I would consider them an upgrade to EX1000. Even though they are an all BA setup, they don't sound like it.

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #4,323 of 4,748
Have you tried IER-M9? I would consider them an upgrade to EX1000. Even though they are an all BA setup, they don't sound like it.

Did you post this same theory in tbe akg 5005 thread? I had just read that and wondered about the m9!!!

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #4,325 of 4,748

Dunu 2000J w/ bass rings is the closest I have heard (not that I have heard a lot) to ex1000 hybrid but it had the same problem w/ upper mids & guitars (and doesn't really offer anything over ex1000 other than a little more warmth in lower mid). I think M9 might be a little too far in the opposite direction though, it captures everything but just a tad too tame- at least I like a little more bite (I should try removing or swapping the filter material maybe). This seems to be a tricky trade-off for the treble extension, too much upper-mid and details start getting masked, too little and the energy drains out.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #4,326 of 4,748
I think i am stuck for the moment. I love the ex1k, and every hp and iem i have, just wish i could combine a few to make one monster, but that's probably what alot of us wish for

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #4,327 of 4,748
I think the closest to ex1000 is the XBA-Z5. You need cable upgrade to improve the sound, especially for better dynamics as it can sound laid back with stock cable.

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #4,329 of 4,748

+1 on this. Not hyping it anymore than it already is but i went to try all 3 signature series at the sony store awhile ago just for fun with no preconceived notions and i left with this feeling that in an alternate universe where i have a thousand bucks to burn and looking for my endgame, that was probably that moment.

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #4,330 of 4,748
Did you post this same theory in tbe akg 5005 thread? I had just read that and wondered about the m9!!!
No not the M9, I think they have totally different sound signature. M9 is detail monster, warmish and easy to love tuning but coming from EX1000 Filterless, M9's treble is heavily lacking, and after all it is still a BA's bass. I don't consider M9 is an upgrade from EX1000 tho, I even think that the M9 isn't worth the price.

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #4,331 of 4,748
No not the M9, I think they have totally different sound signature. M9 is detail monster, warmish and easy to love tuning but coming from EX1000 Filterless, M9's treble is heavily lacking, and after all it is still a BA's bass. I don't consider M9 is an upgrade from EX1000 tho, I even think that the M9 isn't worth the price.

Well, most of the time sony products are overpriced at first. I really dont want another all BA set especially if someone is saying they are not as treble detailed as the ex1k. Ill just keep enjoying what i have until hybrids really get amazing in the under $500 bracket. Or, maybe post divorce ill have money, and be able to toss 2k at empire ears or something similar.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #4,332 of 4,748
In my opinion, the M9 improves the entire EX1000. Regarding the highs, they are not only more controlled and sweet, but they have more extension. As for the bass, despite being a full BA IEM, it is really defined and has a great presence. Also, rest assured that you will find it very difficult to get another IEM with a similar imagining ability.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #4,333 of 4,748
IMO M9(also N3) and ex1000 are just completely different flavors, though I'd disagree that ex1000 treble is more detailed.

@Mal Waldron happened to be listening to your namesake earlier with Steve Lacy

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #4,334 of 4,748
That's real sinergy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back