Some advice about Grado headphones
Sep 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rapalino

New Head-Fier
Hello, forum. I'm pretty new around here and I don't have any experience in this forum, so, if this thread is misplaced, feel free to put it where it is supposed to be.

Well, here's the thing:

I'm thinking to buy some headphones, a good-quality ones actually, and I'm not very familiarized with headphones brands, so I've been looking some information and found brands like Audiotechnica, Sennheiser, Ultrasone, AKG... but I'm still a newbie, haha.

Ok:

My budget is until 100 USD. And I want it to listen just rock/metal/indie, and also confortable in lenghty listenings. And i want it to be Over-ear.

I've made a search and I found that Grado are the best choice for these genres. "With Grado, guitars sounds like heaven" actual quote.

I kept reading and saw several reviews about Grado SR80i & SR60i, the ones that match my budget, and they say they're pure awesome sound, but they also say they're very unconfortable.

Finally, I came here to find some help or info. And this is it. Could you guys please, give me some help, some advice in this? I'd really apreciate that. Greetings. :D

PS: Sorry for my bad english. I'm Colombian. :)

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 12
I think a lot of the "Grado is the end-all for rock and roll" claims are probably a bit inflated or misplaced, but I will add that I *really* do enjoy my Grados for rock and roll (along with a lot of other genres). Within your budget, there's few other headphones I really like consistently beyond the SR-60 or SR-80. And none of them are going to be perfect for the music you're talking about, except the SR-60 or SR-80.

Regarding comfort, personally I've never had an issue with any pair of Grados, except the SR-325 (which were a tad heavy, but not really bad), but I'm sure I'm just weird like that - some people report having red ears or other problems. The upside is, that's usually with the "bowl" pads (like you'd find on the SR-225 or SR-325), not the "comfy" pads (like the SR-60 and SR-80 have). So I think you'll be alright with either of the models you're looking at. Of course I would suggest buying them from somewhere with a good return policy (and an authorized dealer - Grado will not honor warranties otherwise), so that if you're unhappy, you can exchange them.

Other headphones at or around $100 that I would consider "good" (but behind the SR-60 or SR-80 for what you're intending them to do) would include:

- Koss R/80
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50
- Creative Aurvana Live!
- M-Audio Q40

I wouldn't look at any of those initially; I think you're spot-on with the Grados for what you want, but I figure having some options in the event that they don't do what you want is always a good thing. :)

Regarding SR-60 vs SR-80, personally I'd probably get the SR-60 and save the $20, but that's me. :xf_eek:

Also be sure to pop into the Grado Fan Club and say hi at some point. :gs1000smile:

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 12
I can tell you that Grados in your price range are not over the ear, they are on the ear.

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 12
I can tell you that Grados in your price range are not over the ear, they are on the ear.

Didn't even notice that one. :xf_eek:

I also, admittedly, tend to get confuzzled on "over-ear" and "on-ear" as I've seen both used to describe something like the SR-60. But "around the ear" consistently means "full size circumaural" like the HD 650. IME. Of course YMMV.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't even notice that one.
redface.gif

I also, admittedly, tend to get confuzzled on "over-ear" and "on-ear" as I've seen both used to describe something like the SR-60. But "around the ear" consistently means "full size circumaural" like the HD 650. IME. Of course YMMV.

Maybe you could help this person.  I can't.

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 12
You guys, thanks for your replies. Yes, when I said "Over ear" I actually meant "Around the ear". That way is better for me because sometimes with "on-ear" cans, after a long time, it starts scratching my ears. Some people in their reviews say that they don't experiment any kind of annoying sense with SR-80i pads, and some other people say the opposite. So, I'd really like to clear that thing up. And, off course I'll keep in mind your advices.

Now, taking comfort as priority, and off course, a great sound, ¿Wich cans would you recommend that matches in my budget? "Around the ear" type, if any.

PS: I looked for Grado Fan Club but I didn't succeed. Could you please show me where it is? Thanks. :)

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
are those grados with bowls considered on-ear as well? like ps/gs1000

No, the PS/GS are around the ear.

You can buy G-Cushions for $45.00 USD and make any of the lower end Grados around the ear.  But, you will see all kinds of posts about how this changes the sound for the worse.  Myself?  I use G-Cushions on my 325i to good effect (IMHO) In My Humble Opinion.  They give me comfort plus a wider soundstage.  YMMV or Your Mileage May Vary.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 12
Unless your ears are very large the Grado bowls should fit around your ears. With any Grado cushion some claim scratchiness. I've never had a problem, but I always wash mine first in mild soap and water. The Grado 80s come with the bowls and the 60s with the comfies. I tried both with my 60s and much prefer the softness of the on-ear comfies than the around-the-ear bowls. Whether you buy the 60s or 80s (and I think they are essentially the same just with different cushions), you could order the opposite cushions as an extra set and try both. I even usually use comfies with my 225s. The Grado headband is very easy to bend/adjust so that the fit is comfortable. Personally, I find them very comfortable; my ears don't hurt from pressure with glasses and they don't sweat like they do with most closed phones I've tried.

If you start with the 60s and the L-cushions (http://www.headphones.com/Headphone-Accessories/L-CUSH-REPLACEMENT-HEADPHONE-CUSHION-FOR-GRADO-MODELS-SR225I-SR325I-RS1I-AND-RS2I-66785.html) you'll be just a bit over $100.

Mooch

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Unless your ears are very large the Grado bowls should fit around your ears. 

Mine fit over the bottom but on the top I guess...  My girlfriend says her ears fit comfortably in them (she has SR-60i w/ L-cush) and she can wear them forever with out discomfort, so it depends on your head shape...

Also, You should look into Alessandro MS-1/MS-1i as well if you are looking into Grados.  Same price at the SR-80/80i, but is slightly more open, along with some other tweaks over stock Grado's by Alessandro.  I really love mine, and consider them some of the best bang for buck in the Grado range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back