So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Feb 8, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #76 of 2,328
Slwiser, would you think the HFI-780 can be used as a portable can (for everyday walking, commuting etc)?
Also, is it possible that they are the same can, and with burn in they will sound the same?

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #77 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slwiser, would you think the HFI-780 can be used as a portable can (for everyday walking, commuting etc)?
Also, is it possible that they are the same can, and with burn in they will sound the same?

I think Skylab is showing a bit more maturity in waiting to post anything. Today the headphone has shown its first signs of changing on me and they went in the wrong direction for me. No I don't think they are the same cans as the UE9. These are really new cans based on the old HFI-750 with changed mu-board and pads more like the UE9 with similar drivers as the old HFI-750. We will just have to see what they sound like a few hundred hours into this. The Pro 750 and 2500 are updated Prolines with only a face lift. What I am anticipating is that the sound will eventually return to what I was hearing on the first day or very near it. It seems that I have seen this before somewhere.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #78 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you plan to mod them?

Even if I new I wouldn't tell you.
tongue.gif

I need to open them first to see what can be done. But if you want general idea search for the 650 mode.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #81 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Skylab is showing a bit more maturity in waiting to post anything. Today the headphone has shown its first signs of changing on me and they went in the wrong direction for me. No I don't think they are the same cans as the UE9. These are really new cans based on the old HFI-750 with changed mu-board and pads more like the UE9 with similar drivers as the old HFI-750. We will just have to see what they sound like a few hundred hours into this. The Pro 750 and 2500 are updated Prolines with only a face lift. What I am anticipating is that the sound will eventually return to what I was hearing on the first day or very near it. It seems that I have seen this before somewhere.

I have often found that the first sound, well most of the time, is a good indication of what the sound will return to and normally it improves from that. I have had so many things go south for a while leaving me to wonder if I wasted my money only to be delighted to find out that I didn't, (waste my money).

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #82 of 2,328
My understanding that these are replacement for HFI-750, if that's the case HFI-680 should provide more balanced and detailed sound, as their response is more tuned for music, when HFI-780 for gaming and movies.
Interesting that HFI-680 and 780 have different impedance
HFI-680
----------
Frequency range 15-25.000 Hz
Impedance 75 Ohm
Sound pressure level 99 dB
HFI-780
---------
Frequency range 10-26.000 Hz
Impedance 35 Ohm
Sound pressure level 96 dB

Taking ER-4P/4S analogy, higher impedance - better details and highs and lesser bass. Wondering if impedance adapter will work to make HFI-780 into 680.

I used to own HFI-650 TrackMaster. Saint.panda's review of closed phones has a very accurate description of their sound signature.
Looks like the driver is still the same and enclosure is not that different from the original HFI, except shiny part. I can't tell by the picture if it got bigger, the old one was quite shallow for ears, the same problem as reported by UE9 owners.

BTW, mylar drivers do not need ridiculous amount of burn-in like titanium plated ones in proline series and UE9. What would be interesting is to transplant PL750/2500 drivers into new HFI enclosure, that should make them very close if not identical to UE9.

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #83 of 2,328
I know what the specs say but how to they sound is the main thing. I like what I am hearing from my 200$ 780s which is much like my Editions for the money. How would the 750s compare, I had the Proline 2500 and from my preferences the 780 would beat out the 2500s. It was my understanding the Prolines were very similar in sound profiles. Ultrasone is saying the 780 have the UE9 pads and mu-board design but probably not the same material.

But as good as the 780s are would the driver transplant even be worth it? But it is something to consider.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #84 of 2,328
imo I agree with what Dex. stated previously, gold plated drivers (650/680) are less harsh on the high end frequencies then titanium (750's+). At least that was my conclusion after sampling them. In the end I left the Ultrasone bus because of the S-Logic. I like music in my face like the sen. hd-25 .
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #85 of 2,328
Sometimes "for movies and gaming" just means "a little more bass", which is generally a welcome thing for me.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #86 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just briefly... can you describe the sonic characteristic of this new HFI-780?
which music genre match with this cans? and just from your initial impression, which one do you choose? ESW9 or HFI-780?

[size=xx-small]edit: disregard my first question, i forgot to check page 5
biggrin.gif
[/size]

hi mate, so...do you plan to get one of those ?
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #87 of 2,328
WTH! My HFI780 broke already and it's been less than 12 hours. I only got to listen to it for <5 minutes. What kind of crap is this?

Here's what happen, i plug it into my DAC1 to break in and i left it there overnight to burn in with sine sweeps, pink noise, and Ultrasones own demo track. I check it this morning and there's a serious imbalance. I only heard it for 5 minutes when i first got it so i could see what it sounds like. I tested my stuff with other cans so it's not my amp or components. OMG.

I think something is up with the wires. The right driver is 90% silent as the left. It got maybe 75% when i started wiggling the right can around. I think the wire got pinched somewhere. This is directly related to the swiveling and folding of this headphone.

edit: 10 minutes later
What is works again?? I dont know i dont trust this. Should i Return it? Wait it's cutting in and out..NVM it's definitely screwed up

Short Impressions:

It's pretty similar to my HD650 but more extreme. It's very dark but not laidback. The "effects" this headphone makes reminds me of bass boost, loudness, and 3d positioning enabled. Bass is almost as controlled as a balanced 650.

A $200 closed version of the HD650 with the "S logic Plus" sound is how i would describe the HFI780.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #88 of 2,328
^I don't know about your problem but I would think the cable is the weakest link with this unit. I think an eighth plug is to small for a full size headphone. I have found that I use the quarter that came with it all the time. It was already attached to the eighth inch plug and sometimes this becomes loose and I have to re-tighten it. Just a thought.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #89 of 2,328
It's Definitely something wrong with the wiring on the right side. If i play with the right side while it's on my head the right driver cuts in and out. Im very unimpressed with this. I believe it could happen again with a new pair. Id rather this headphone NOT fold up.

To recable this thing in split mode would be a significant upgrade. Like the edition 9....

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #90 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's Definitely something wrong with the wiring on the right side. If i play with the right side while it's on my head the right driver cuts in and out. Im very unimpressed with this. I believe it could happen again with a new pair. Id rather this headphone NOT fold up.

To recable this thing in split mode would be a significant upgrade.

I agree with the re-cabling ideal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back