So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Apr 7, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2,326 of 2,328
I read about the ALO-modified HFI-780, and it looked like a good value.  But, I wanted to know if I basically liked the sound of the unmodded HFI-780 first.  So, I bought a stock HFI-780 from ALO, and used them for 2-3 weeks.  I found that I really liked their sound, including a prominent, but really beautiful high end (it reminded me a lot of the ER4S treble, which I also enjoy tremendously).  I thought that, with more refinement and a quieter background, the real beauty of which these phones were capable would come out.  So, I sent them back to ALO for the mods.  When they came back modded, they were everything I was hoping for - the full (but not wild) bass, with lush, tuneful mids and a treble that surpassed that of the ER4S, to my ear.  I received them almost two years ago now, and these phones are still in my collection of four most-valued full-sized phones: an ALO-modded (woodied and recabled) SR225, an HD650 with an 18 AWG ALO Jenna cryo wire replacement cable, a stock HF-2, and the ALO-780.  My favorite amp with the ALO-780 is a Mapletree Ear+ HD fitted with NOS tubes.  Was the $$$ spent on the ALO mods to the stock HFI-780 worth it to me?  Every penny.  Instead of having a set of phones where I'd hear what they were doing really well, and wish that their flaws were not there to limit their goodness, I had a set of phones which were finally freed from those flaws to do really exceptionally what they had previously done "only" really well.  The final cost of the ALO-780, including two shippings, was about on par with the cost of the HD650 + aftermarket cable, and the modded/re-cabled SR225.  And, I'd put the overall sound quality of these three sets of phones on a pretty comparable level as well.  So, during the time period over which I was collecting those three headphones, the cost of the modded HFI-780 was in the range of costs for which that level of sound quality was selling for.  The HF-2 is an outlier (costing about 2/3 to half of what I paid for the various other three phones - it's a really nice "thank you" gift from John Grado orchestrated through Todd the Vinyl Junkie).  So, if you're looking for a full-sized closed phone with the gorgeous upper end of the ER4S, the modded HFI-780 is a good pick, in my opinion - having used the ER4S on a daily basis for two-to-three years.  Good shopping!

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #2,327 of 2,328
Thanks a million for this, I am a fan of the V shape EQ, by the sound of it they really have a great bass and treble with the added bonus of excellent mid-range which the stock HFI 780 are famous for. Looks like my next portable close can is about to be purchased :)
Quote:
I read about the ALO-modified HFI-780, and it looked like a good value.  But, I wanted to know if I basically liked the sound of the unmodded HFI-780 first.  So, I bought a stock HFI-780 from ALO, and used them for 2-3 weeks.  I found that I really liked their sound, including a prominent, but really beautiful high end (it reminded me a lot of the ER4S treble, which I also enjoy tremendously).  I thought that, with more refinement and a quieter background, the real beauty of which these phones were capable would come out.  So, I sent them back to ALO for the mods.  When they came back modded, they were everything I was hoping for - the full (but not wild) bass, with lush, tuneful mids and a treble that surpassed that of the ER4S, to my ear.  I received them almost two years ago now, and these phones are still in my collection of four most-valued full-sized phones: an ALO-modded (woodied and recabled) SR225, an HD650 with an 18 AWG ALO Jenna cryo wire replacement cable, a stock HF-2, and the ALO-780.  My favorite amp with the ALO-780 is a Mapletree Ear+ HD fitted with NOS tubes.  Was the $$$ spent on the ALO mods to the stock HFI-780 worth it to me?  Every penny.  Instead of having a set of phones where I'd hear what they were doing really well, and wish that their flaws were not there to limit their goodness, I had a set of phones which were finally freed from those flaws to do really exceptionally what they had previously done "only" really well.  The final cost of the ALO-780, including two shippings, was about on par with the cost of the HD650 + aftermarket cable, and the modded/re-cabled SR225.  And, I'd put the overall sound quality of these three sets of phones on a pretty comparable level as well.  So, during the time period over which I was collecting those three headphones, the cost of the modded HFI-780 was in the range of costs for which that level of sound quality was selling for.  The HF-2 is an outlier (costing about 2/3 to half of what I paid for the various other three phones - it's a really nice "thank you" gift from John Grado orchestrated through Todd the Vinyl Junkie).  So, if you're looking for a full-sized closed phone with the gorgeous upper end of the ER4S, the modded HFI-780 is a good pick, in my opinion - having used the ER4S on a daily basis for two-to-three years.  Good shopping!

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #2,328 of 2,328
Hello,

I own HFI-780s for few months and I really like how those sound, however I have a problem with how uncomfortable those are. I dont mind the earpads at all (well those could be better as well, but I can live with stock ones), but the headband is just terrible for me. I am looking for some market solution for this problem, so far I found 2 possibilities:

- buying Beyer replacment headband for DT990: http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt770_prodt880_pro_kopfgurt.htm and wrapping those around standard headband;
- trying to get the headband cushion for Ultrasone PRO series and swapping with the HFI-780s stock one;

Does anyone did something similar to their HFI-780s? Other suggestions how to deal with this issue are also appriciated (but keep in mind that I am not really a DYI guy and I want to keep my 780s looking decent).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back