So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Apr 14, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #2,296 of 2,328
Completely Agreed about that....
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have just bought some stock HFI-780s, am finding with some songs they sound a bit tinny and boost hi-hats and certain vocals too much;....

Me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....people have killed their headphones in the past with high volume burn-in.

May 25, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #2,300 of 2,328

Quote:
What is the difference between 780 and 2500pro? Comfort difference?

I want to buy but don't know which one i should take.

The 780 will have more forward mids while the 2500 have somewhat recessed mids.  The 780 bass remains very powerful as you use them, while the 2500 start out with very powerful bass which becomes a bit tamer as they get past 250 hours.  The treble on the 780 can be slightly sibilant, while I never heard that with the 2500.  The 780 will make your ears feel hotter and sometimes make you sweat, but the 2500 don't do that.  The 780 are more fun and worked best for me from a solid state amp, and the 2500 more audiophile sounding if you have an acceptably warm sounding amplifier (great with TTVJ portable Millett Hybrid or Cavalli CTH and HiFiMan EF1 amps).

May 25, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #2,301 of 2,328
Thanks HeadphoneAddict for good review. And is it there any difference in comfort between them? How many hours you can wear the 780 and 2500 with full feeling of comfort? How about bass which you prefer from the 780 or 2500?

I don't use any amp at home only the creative x-fi sound card in the PC. I really don't want to feel any discomfort with HP's.

I like very deep bass like on subwoofers which will combine with the rest of good SQ that will make me feel surprised on the most songs. I like open and air sound not dark, boomy or something like that. Oh i listening to rap, hip-hop, pop, some electronic and some jazz with deep bass ( it's really beautiful l ) 

How you think which i should pick up?

May 25, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #2,302 of 2,328

Quote:
Thanks HeadphoneAddict for good review. And is it there any difference in comfort between them? How many hours you can wear the 780 and 2500 with full feeling of comfort? How about bass which you prefer from the 780 or 2500?

I don't use any amp at home only the creative x-fi sound card in the PC. I really don't want to feel any discomfort with HP's.

I like very deep bass like on subwoofers which will combine with the rest of good SQ that will make me feel surprised on the most songs. I like open and air sound not dark, boomy or something like that. 

I addressed the comfort issue "The 780 will make your ears feel hotter and sometimes make you sweat, but the 2500 don't do that."  That means that I could wear the 2500 for longer periods of time without discomfort, like maybe 3-4 hours vs 60-90 minutes.  

I preferred the bass of the 780, and while the 2500 started out with a similar amount of bass the amount dropped by the time I had 250 or more hours on them.  I had the same problem with my Grado SR-325i.  The 780 bass goes quite deep like a subwoofer.  However, the 780 bass did not seem boomy to me.

The 780 only sounded "dark" if I listened to my Stax or HD600 for a while and then suddenly switched to the 780.  They sounded best on my Travagans Red solid state amp with AD743 opamps installed.  The Pro 2500 never sounded dark or boomy, but I don't know that they would sound all that great from an X-fi.  They sounded best from a nice warm tube amp, as mentioned above.  I did find that a re-cable could make the 780 sound dark by taming the treble (stock cable has hotter treble), and if you did re-cable them the APS v3 or Jenna Labs cable sounded best.  However, I would invest in a good source and amp before spending money on a cable.

You could also consider a Pro 750 and do some research into those.  I haven't heard one myself.  In comparison to a Denon D2000, I thought the 780 sounded more open, but less open than the 2500.

May 25, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #2,303 of 2,328

Quote:

I like very deep bass like on subwoofers which will combine with the rest of good SQ that will make me feel surprised on the most songs. I like open and air sound not dark, boomy or something like that. Oh i listening to rap, hip-hop, pop, some electronic and some jazz with deep bass ( it's really beautiful l ) 

I llisten to mainly electronic music and am a basshead so went for the 780's. I have  never tried the 2500 but  the 780s have good isolation and tight bass (better with  a large does of eq from the xonar DX)  but I do get hot / sweaty ears i think due to the synthetic pads and tight fit  so regular regular listening breaks are needed. The treble can be a little harsh at mid/ higher volumes and I have EQ'd it down slightly for most tracks .

The ALO cable and similar mods have high praise here but added cost is a factor and only available in the states is a negative. Source wise I have a Xondar DX and it does a good job but much prefer the sound with the added little powerhouse  Bravo tube amp and which itself soon to be replace with  the Matrix mstage and or Headstande Arrow HE as i the "tube" sound does not suit my music tastes. Generally amping does help with low end sources - dont bother with fiio e5s and cmoys as I have both and are not worth it other than for fun. 

I like my 780s but miss the open feel of my old sennheizer 580s which had detail, non fatiguing, good bass and comfort hence looking at the 650's for my next purchase. I would look at the ATH M50 as I read that it is a bassy can,  seems to be praised and good value too.

hope this helps

May 25, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #2,304 of 2,328
BlutoSlice. If you like the open feel and your 780. If you are forced to use only closed phones so go for the 900 pro. People tell that they can bring feeling like using the 2500 pro. The cons it's a little bit expensive. 

May 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #2,305 of 2,328
For what it is worth, I'm not a fan of my 780s.  I'm going to be looking to replace them as my "work" headphones.  They are, however, awesome at isolation if that is important to you.  I can listen to loud volumes and no one can hear what I am playing.  I do occasionally listen to some hip-hop and rap, and they are good for that, but most of my listening is classical and I do not like them for that.  It might be that I just prefer an open can and do not like closed cans at all.  I do not have much to compare it to though, my other closed cans are the Sony MDR-V6 (which I like a little better I think), and my Senn HD-280s which I like less.

May 29, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #2,306 of 2,328
Yes, they have very good isolation, but they aren't completely closed. They are port vented as the Denons, and they leak a significant amount on loud to very loud volumes....

Quote:
For what it is worth, I'm not a fan of my 780s.  I'm going to be looking to replace them as my "work" headphones.  They are, however, awesome at isolation if that is important to you.  I can listen to loud volumes and no one can hear what I am playing.  I do occasionally listen to some hip-hop and rap, and they are good for that, but most of my listening is classical and I do not like them for that.  It might be that I just prefer an open can and do not like closed cans at all.  I do not have much to compare it to though, my other closed cans are the Sony MDR-V6 (which I like a little better I think), and my Senn HD-280s which I like less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back