So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 16, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #2,266 of 2,328
Yeah, they are. I am really happy with them [they are very special for me (such that i wanted to give away them to a sister (as a good gesture, and appreciation to her) for his birthday. but at the end, i regretted it; and i give to her another things]. They are really fun headphones [more than my previous and current headphone(s)]. More than with the stock drivers, and the drivers doesn't blow out.... Even with the amplification power that i have now [XMOD/VDAC+CKKIII vs XMOD+Arietta (the drivers died with this equipment)], even with my new DAC that is two times more powerful, and my amp is also two times more powerful, that my former one.
I wanted to experiment with the ED9 pads (which i think, can improve the sound (especially in the bass and treble)), but they are ridiculously expensive
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radical_53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@wilashort: Seems to be a great pair of phones
wink.gif
I still hope to find the right moment to have mine recabled. Maybe I can find some lasting earpads somewhen, hopefully. As long as they're really nice and soft, the first two to three weeks roughly, I absolutely love them. I still like them very much afterwards but they're just much better with fresh pads. A pity they start hardening so fast.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #2,267 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rideau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scrivs, I'm keeping the stock cable, but changing out the earpads. The Ultrasone ED 9 pads can be picked up from ALO. My primary reason for getting these, gaming and movies. I also see some portablity with them.

Alright, I see.

I'll just try out the stock pads first for a couple of days and see how they fit me. If they realy start to bother me I'll have a look at ordering the ED9 pads aswell.
Thanks for the info.

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #2,268 of 2,328
@rideau: Have you been successful with it?

I was lucky to get a unit rather soon from the f/s section. Now I do have the problem that this new amp picks up much more noise from my PC. It's dead quiet without a source but starts to whine as soon as I connect it to my soundcard, especially when I use its un-amped line out. I can't even get the volume to a decent level with the un-amped source. Guess I'll have to put some work into this
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #2,269 of 2,328
The one thing with getting the Ultrasone 9 pad is that you do not get the center filters. There are 2 things you can do: 1. which Ken at ALO recommended, using some old nylon stockings to cover the sections and 2. which is the route I took, was to just purchase the Beyerdynamic ear pad kit which had the filters. The Ultrasone 9 pad are ridiculously comfortable and the sound has changed for the better. It's like sitting a couple rows back at a concert, I don't know if it was from the HFI-780's being burned in or the pads which I love. Kind of a pricey thing to do but if you use them alot you will like them.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #2,271 of 2,328
When I was trying to get some from ultrasone I was told 110 euros without tax so if they are cheaper I would certainly be interested as well.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #2,272 of 2,328
$150 for the Ultrasone 9 pad and $24 for the Beyer pads.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #2,274 of 2,328
Quote:

$150 for the Ultrasone 9 pad and $24 for the Beyer pads.

To those of you who have inquired into purchasing Ed 9 pads, and who have posted a price for them, can you post information on where an order can be placed for them (a link or a phone number, for example)?
Thanks.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #2,275 of 2,328
Mar 20, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #2,276 of 2,328
Quote:

Here you go > ALO Audio

Thanks so much! Very kind of you!

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #2,277 of 2,328
I guess I'll invest that money into something else instead of a pair of pads.
It seems like I found the reason for the hiss with my new Little Dot MK V and it's based on the low impedance of the 780s. I ordered an impedance adaptor to give me 120 ohms extra which hopefully solves the problem. Quite interesting to see how much sound can be squeezed out of these cans if they're treated right
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #2,278 of 2,328
im going to run the HFI-780 out of a sansa clip+ , unamped.
will it be powerful enough to run it to, like, at least 80% of its sq potential? and what about the volume?
if anyone got a hfi-780 and a sansa clip i would like to know.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #2,279 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antrax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im going to run the HFI-780 out of a sansa clip+ , unamped.
will it be powerful enough to run it to, like, at least 80% of its sq potential? and what about the volume?
if anyone got a hfi-780 and a sansa clip i would like to know.

I've got a Sansa Clip+ and a ALO-780 (the HFI-780 modded and recabled by ALO). Using a Grado 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter, and plugging the ALO-780 into the headphone out of the Clip+, it sounds really good, at least "80%" of its sq potential (but not as high as I would rate "90+ %"), to my ear and my "pseudo-quantitatively qualitative percentage rating" scale. My experience with the ALO-780 at the highest SQ I'm familiar with is with it being driven by either an Amphora or by a Mapletree Ear+ HD with a Tung-Sol 5751 or 12AX7 driver tube (my favorite tubes for the 780 paired with the Mapletree), with a 5.5G iMod Source (plugged directly into the iMod dock on the Amphora, or using an ALO VCap dock with a ZYN Mk II RCA pair IC to the Mapletree. And, unlike those higher-priced amps, the Clip+ has multiple pre-defined (and user-definable custom) EQ settings to suit the spectral output to the preferences of the listener. With the ALO-780, I use the "Normal" EQ setting. I wouldn't be fulfilling my duty as a fellow Head-Fier if I didn't include my opinion that my favorite DAP with the ALO-780 is an AMP3 - for its more transparent and more spacious presentation of the music, with plenty of volume for these phones. HeadphoneAddict has posted that he would agree that the AMP3 is a good match for a recabled HFI-780, but that the AMP3 might be too trebly for a stock HFI-780. With the Clip+, it's definitely a good and very enjoyable listen, and you'll have the EQ settings to help optimize the spectral balance for your ears. My opinion is that you'll be in a sufficiently good SQ range to hear the kind of quality of which the HFI-780 is capable.

With the Internal Setting of the Clip+ set at "High" for its Volume setting, and the on-screen volume display bar showing the volume set to its Max, and a thumpingly jumping Rock track (I used Absurd Mind's "Gedanken Reich"), my Radio Shack Digital Sound Pressure Level Meter is reading 98 dB, which is about 18 dB higher than (about 64 times the power of) the "doing hearing damage" level of 80 dB. This volume, to my ears is a) quite a bit louder than I would normally listen, b) mildly-to-moderately unpleasantly loud (not yet in the so-called "ear bleed" range) and c) not containing obvious levels of distortion. With the ALO-780 and the Clip+, I normally listen on "High" volume setting, with the display bar between 65% and 85% full (toward the mid-to-upper end of its volume range). I have yet to hit a song where I've run the Clip+ with these phones at the Max volume, even tracks released with a noticeably lower-than-usual volume level.

The above considered, my opinion is that it would be worth your while to pair the Clip+ with the HFI-780 to see if it's the sound you're looking for (or close enough to be worth its price to you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back