So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #46 of 2,328
I ordered a pair. Will report back when they arrive.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #47 of 2,328
Headphone newbie here so forgive me if this is a dumb question: would you use the HFI-780s in a portable situation? It's hard to say how big the cans are from the photos. Sizewise, how might they compare to the ESW9s?

I'm looking for a backup set of phones for those few days when I don't feel like putting UE11s inside my ears. I'd mostly be using these in a gym where I move around, so a tight fit is also important. What do you think?

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #48 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a pair. Will report back when they arrive.

I'm looking forward to your impressions, this will be really interesting.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #49 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone newbie here so forgive me if this is a dumb question: would you use the HFI-780s in a portable situation? It's hard to say how big the cans are from the photos. Sizewise, how might they compare to the ESW9s?

I'm looking for a backup set of phones for those few days when I don't feel like putting UE11s inside my ears. I'd mostly be using these in a gym where I move around, so a tight fit is also important. What do you think?

I will take some pictures of both the 780 and the ATH-ESW9 later today.

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #50 of 2,328
Hi Freeblues, how would you compare the ESW9 and the UE11? Which one sounds better?
Thanks

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #51 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone newbie here so forgive me if this is a dumb question: would you use the HFI-780s in a portable situation?

Absolutely. But I think everyone has a differing level of self-consciousness. Me, I'm often found wearing my larger, rounder and more garishly BLUE PROlines on public transport, so the new HFIs are, by comparison, streamline, svelte and discreet!
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #52 of 2,328
I am also willing to try one, but not limited to this 780 model, for better surround sound performance when playing those new Hi-Def DVD titles.

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #53 of 2,328
openearcupsofESW9and780a.jpg

Xin Reference Beta
ALO Auricap Dock using RCA connections to a quarter input on the Xin Reference
iMod 5.5g
ATH-ESW9 on the left
Ultrasone HFI-780 on the right

At work today I had this setup without the HFI-780s.

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #54 of 2,328
HFI-780

HFI-780openearcupsa.jpg

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #55 of 2,328
ATH-ESW9

hangingopencupsESW9.jpg

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #56 of 2,328
The pads on the esw9 look either softer or more broken in. I like the feel of that kind of leather (or is pleather?) If the pads are just broken in, would you anticipate the 780s becoming close to that? I know that was kinda confusing, but if you look at the pix, I'm referring to the wrinkly leather on the esw9s. The 780s look stiff and... new. Probably b/c they are...

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #57 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pads on the esw9 look either softer or more broken in. I like the feel of that kind of leather (or is pleather?) If the pads are just broken in, would you anticipate the 780s becoming close to that? I know that was kinda confusing, but if you look at the pix, I'm referring to the wrinkly leather on the esw9s. The 780s look stiff and... new. Probably b/c they are...

When I had Edition 9 - the pads remained pretty damn stiff. ESW9 pads are not the softest either, but they do manage to be comfy if your ears are not too big or don't pop out too much.

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #58 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will take some pictures of both the 780 and the ATH-ESW9 later today.

Thanks for those pics! I dunno, the Ultrasones look pretty big. How about the sound, do you have a preference (for reference, I'll be using an iMod, ALO Au/Ag cables and either a vcap with an iqube or no vcap with a Lisa).

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Freeblues, how would you compare the ESW9 and the UE11? Which one sounds better?
Thanks

I don't own the ESW9s, at least not yet. I'd love to hear how they compare with the UE11s!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely. But I think everyone has a differing level of self-consciousness. Me, I'm often found wearing my larger, rounder and more garishly BLUE PROlines on public transport, so the new HFIs are, by comparison, streamline, svelte and discreet!
tongue.gif

I'm with you! I don't much care what I look like. If the cans work for me in my situation an aren't too impossibly uncomfortable then I may give 'em a try.

Thanks all for the input, keep it coming...

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #59 of 2,328
ESW9 pads are leather
HFI-780 are something like pleather.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #60 of 2,328
Can't take it any longer
biggrin.gif
. I'm going to order.

One question - how is the isolation with these ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back