Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 21, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #9,182 of 16,011
I registered too + the newsletter...
You access a regular page of a web site. Not yet "the" Realiser Exchange but a little bit more credible than before :
my files
my account (name, etc)
community
dashboard
contact
support
Quite a few features seem to be accessible. I was able to add my Realiser using the serial number (uploading the Device ID file didn't work for me). Currently there is three sound rooms visible. I have tried to add them to my files, but that hasn't worked yet (maybe because there is a queue and it takes a while). There is an option to upload your own files and merge them with others. A very nice feature is a 3D view of the sound room that can be rotated in all directions. It is possble to listen to the room. By clicking on a speaker it is possible to turn it on or off.
exchange3d.PNG

Jun 21, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #9,183 of 16,011
I don't see the message that @You Gene mentions on the Facebook page of Smyth Research... I do see one from someone named Simon dated from 4 days ago, but no answer... Was it deleted afterwards ? That would not sound like a great signal, unless they don't want to spoil a forthcoming update (one can still hope!)
I managed to register also on the Realiser Exchange website. When i activate the 3D view of the rooms, only one works for me with a music sample, but i can see only 3 speakers (Center, Side Left and Side Right), not the whole room like on @neurologic9 screenshot. And i can activate only 5 speakers at the same time, if i activate a 6th, it disables another one.
It's a nice feature that needs to be improved. The sample is too short, though. 10 seconds is not enough to experience the room. It should be at least one minute.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #9,184 of 16,011
I don't see the message that @You Gene mentions on the Facebook page of Smyth Research... I do see one from someone named Simon dated from 4 days ago, but no answer...
Don't go on the centre page, go on the right side entitled "publications des visiteurs"
You need to push on "2 commentaires" (beneath the message from Simon) to access the answer from Smyth Research.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #9,185 of 16,011
To be 100% certain, I tried again your Dutch & Dutch PRIR yesterday afternoon and noticed that your Center (the corrected one) is fabulous. At least for me : neat, not too high physically but more in front of me and very clear for dialogues.
The more you try those comparisons, the more you change your mind.
Now I am using Rene's Nova channels + jazzman C channel.

Thanks guys.

Thank you for your PRIR feedback. I appreciate your input. I'm also intrigued by the sonic differences individuals hear when trying other PRIRs, so I'm eager to discover how well, or poorly, my PRIRs work for others.

To all A16 owners,

With the A8, a number of owners informally shared PRIRs with the rest of the Realiser community. This exchange resulted in a wealth of highend PRIRs that all could try. As you would expect with the A8, only a few resulted in a good match. But for me, the experience was both enlightening and productive as I was able to find several PRIRs that were a good match.

Today I signed up for a new Realiser Exchange account (jazzfan). However, I was disappointed to find only a few in the way of PRIRs, shared or for purchase, in the official repository.

I'm equally disappointed that more A16 owners have not elected to participate in the unofficial Google Drive A16 repository. It would be nice to try out PRIRs from other A16 owners from either unofficial or official repositories.

Now with the pandemic, being able to listen to other people's systems without having to leave the security of one's home has become a very attractive option for me. Any thoughts on how to increase participation in sharing A16 PRIRs within the Head-Fi Realiser community?

Jun 22, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #9,186 of 16,011
Today I signed up for a new Realiser Exchange account (jazzfan). However, I was disappointed to find only a few in the way of PRIRs, shared or for purchase, in the official repository.

I'm equally disappointed that more A16 owners have not elected to participate in the unofficial Google Drive A16 repository. It would be nice to try out PRIRs from other A16 owners from either unofficial or official repositories.

Now with the pandemic, being able to listen to other people's systems without having to leave the security of one's home has become a very attractive option for me. Any thoughts on how to increase participation in sharing A16 PRIRs within the Head-Fi Realiser community?

The Realiser Exchange website litterally just opened, so give it a bit of time to get filled up. Users will create accounts and may upload their PRIRs on it, and may share them with the A16 community (or not, it will be their choice). Being able to listen to other PRIRs straight from the website is already a very nice feature.

Jun 22, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #9,187 of 16,011
Does some official guide to navigating the Exchange site exist anywhere? Things do look simple and intuitive so far, but the site is still not where it could be as yet, and one never knows how much more sophisticated or complicated things are going to get... So I was just wondering... Maybe A8 owners have some input regarding how their own exchange system used to work???

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #9,188 of 16,011
Just got the following e-mail from James Smyth:

Thanks for contacting us.

We've entered the last stage of testing the new boards with the new firmware.
We expect to start retrofitting this week, and the process should not take long.

I will contact you once your unit has been upgraded and ready to be shipped back to you.

Regards
James

Cheers,
Urs

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #9,189 of 16,011
Just got the following e-mail from James Smyth:

Thanks for contacting us.

We've entered the last stage of testing the new boards with the new firmware.
We expect to start retrofitting this week, and the process should not take long.

I will contact you once your unit has been upgraded and ready to be shipped back to you.

Regards
James

Cheers,
Urs

Thanks for sharing. Glad someone here has gotten a reply regarding the upgrades we’re waiting for.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #9,190 of 16,011
Maybe A8 owners have some input regarding how their own exchange system used to work???
Yes. There was none...
(not totally true. I got measurements from others from studios in Germany. Tried some of them. They didn't work for me. I don't see much sense in sharing personal measurements as they will not work for most people).

I just tried to register to the Exchange site but didn't get the registrarion E-Mail. I hope I didn't enter a wrong E-Mail address?

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #9,191 of 16,011
It seems that they got the new boards later than expected. Gilles told one of his customers that the boards are on their way and that he will soon start to upgrade the units.
If there was a delay with the delivery of the new boards, they could just say it...

I don't see much sense in sharing personal measurements as they will not work for most people.
The Realiser Exchange website should eventually allow one to inject our HRTF in someone else's PRIR to greatly improve the way it sounds to their ears (Stephen was talking about a result around 80% as good as if it had been measured by the user). I have a PRIR measured in Paris with the Smyths (or theoretically, i should have it eventually once they send it to me). I will be able to extract my HRTF from this PRIR and to inject it in the PRIR that someone else will upload for a result not too far from how it would sound if i had measured myself in that room.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #9,192 of 16,011
Yes this functionality is planned, but I suppose it will not work right away?

I can't tell because I can't register. Maybe they manually check the E-Mails??

How long did it take when you registered?

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #9,193 of 16,011
Yes this functionality is planned, but I suppose it will not work right away?

I can't tell because I can't register. Maybe they manually check the E-Mails??

I registered last night and the confirmation email was in my inbox within 15 seconds of me completing my registration.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #9,194 of 16,011
One thing I can't stress enough is that when you upload your PRIR files the notes become very important...
document as much information as possible... better to have too much info versus not enough...

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #9,195 of 16,011
I don't see much sense in sharing personal measurements as they will not work for most people
The more PRIRs to choose from, the more chance to find a somewhat matching one. Also some people may be closer to average, and some people may be less sensitive to certain differences in HRTF.
I also registered succesfully in seconds. But you have to "add" your device (A16 serial number) before you can use certain functions.
(I don't have my A16 yet so I don't have a serial number.)

By the looks of it, the merge function is there and no mention of a fee. Maybe someone can try? [Edit: looking closer, looks like you can not select files yet, but maybe it is just because I have no device.]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back