Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 23, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #9,211 of 16,045
Just curious if anyone has tested the new Dolby Atmos Music content on TIDAL via the A16 ? May need an Apple TV for the HDMI input...

I'm using their 30 day free trial. I bought NVidia Shield TV Pro 2019 since that seems to be the most supported device to get Dolby Atmos from streaming services. So far I've gotten Dolby Atmos from Netflix and Tidal. Amazon Prime Video should have some Dolby Atmos titles but I haven't got Dolby Atmos from their app so maybe it doesn't support NVidia Shield with Dolby Atmos.

Unfortunately I don't have access to an actual Dolby Atmos studio or home theater so I have to use the BBC or Surrey rooms which don't work that well for my ears+brain combination. I can sort of localize the sounds and manLOUD helps a little. Still, I am not very impressed with the Dolby Atmos mixes in Tidal. There are not that many tracks mixed in Dolby Atmos and those that are, are mixed to really emphasize Dolby Atmos. Sort of like the early days of stereo mixes where the instruments were divided to left/right, not good. I'm not sure if it's worth paying 19,90€/month to listen Post Malone singing from the back speakers...

Netflix, however, has many Dolby Atmos titles and I can absolutely hear the difference. I watched Netflix movie Extraction and it has very well mixed Dolby Atmos track. A lot of car honkings, helicopters and bullets flying all around me.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #9,212 of 16,045
I think it is likely that many Realizer owners, like me, are getting the A-16 because they don't have a multi-channel speaker system. I could measure my two channel system, but my speakers are 180 pounds each, so there is no way I can move them around like you did with the Dutch & Dutch speakers. Frankly, it all seems like way too much work for a questionable result (since my room is in no way optimized for multi-channel). I'd much prefer to get a custom measurement created for myself in a room with properly setup Atmos speakers and room treatments.

If your speakers don't move, you can move yourself. I measured a 7.1 room with my two speakers and didn't move them at all. I made multiple PRIR rooms with different speaker locations and combined them later.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #9,213 of 16,045
If your speakers don't move, you can move yourself. I measured a 7.1 room with my two speakers and didn't move them at all. I made multiple PRIR rooms with different speaker locations and combined them later.
Times like this I happy to be the owner of LS 50s.

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #9,214 of 16,045
Turned out that my registration E-Mail actually landed in the Junk Mail Folder but Outlook Web App doesn't show this folder and I don't know how to do that. With another webmailing tool I see the Junk Mail Folder and I could move the registration mail to the Inbox and finally register.
I have a .bin file created by my A16 and tried do upload this, but did not succeed. Results in a massive amount of errors (with which the user shouldn't be bothered so that's a not so good error handling I have to say)
Will try the ID of my unit tonight.

Unfortunately I have to say the Exchange site as it is at the moment still looks like heavily under construction...

Concerning DTS-X (and Auro 3D):
I am 99.999% sure that no hardware upgrade is needed for this. The only thing that they need is the certification, and then with a new firmware just unlock the already fully implemented DTS-X functionality. For DTS-X everything is prepared: You can define listening rooms and the Neural X upmixer switch is also already there but just does not do anything at the moment.
The A16 is fully prepared to decode DTS(X) but without the license it woul be "illegal".
I don't know why this is so complicated (they wrote something about special hardware needed for the certification that is not easily available in the UK, no idea what this is), especially if you consider that Stephen (and Mike) have been long time working for DTS!

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #9,215 of 16,045
Indeed no hardware upgrade is needed for DTS-X, and that's why the features in development are mentioned to be for all hardware variants.
Now that there is a version dedicated to professionals, i guess Smyth Research should apply for DTS-X licensing very soon if it's not already ongoing, because it's one thing to be radio silent with us insignificant individual customers who can be waiting for years, but it's something else to keep pros uninformed and to ship units stripped for some important features without giving them a schedule of when these features will be activated. I think their credibility is important to them in the business world. (or at least it should be !)

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #9,216 of 16,045
Now that there is a version dedicated to professionals, i guess Smyth Research should apply for DTS-X licensing very soon if it's not already ongoing, because it's one thing to be radio silent with us insignificant individual customers who can be waiting for years, but it's something else to keep pros uninformed and to ship units stripped for some important features without giving them a schedule of when these features will be activated. I think their credibility is important to them in the business world. (or at least it should be !)
on the other hand, aren’t most professional use cases based on multi ch. pcm over usb?

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #9,218 of 16,045
Professionals in the studio don't need the codecs. What they need is a 16 channel digital discrete input to drive them from the DAW like the speakers. And this is possible via USB and now AES/EBU digital input afaik.

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #9,219 of 16,045
Just curious if anyone has tested the new Dolby Atmos Music content on TIDAL via the A16 ? May need an Apple TV for the HDMI input...

Unfortunately, Tidal on Apple TV will only outputs 5.1 PCM. I sent them an email about it and they said they would think about it. I encourage others to do the same. (BTW, only Apple TV 4K supports Atmos.)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #9,220 of 16,045
James got back to me regarding my place in line and potential ship date. I pre-ordered 12/31/2016

Apologies about the late reply
Due to COVID 19 the last 3 months have been very slow, but we will be starting to ship out units again early next week.
We have shipped out 200 Kickstarter units and have another 110 units to ship to complete all Kickstarter orders..
As soon as we finish the Kickstarter units we will immediately begin shipping pre-order units.
I see you're pre-order customer 66 , I estimate you will receive your unit at the end of this year.

There is an option to pay the retail difference to receive your unit next month.
Let me know if this interests you?

Thanks again for your patience and support.

Regards
James

Not ideal, but this is the first time I've been told my place in line. Having a rough end in sight feels good, but boy would this have been nice the last few months :)

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #9,224 of 16,045

I have the same question. I recently ordered a Roku Streaming+ to answer that question and I'll report back after I've had a chance to give the device a try.

I think it is likely that many Realizer owners, like me, are getting the A-16 because they don't have a multi-channel speaker system. I could measure my two channel system, but my speakers are 180 pounds each, so there is no way I can move them around like you did with the Dutch & Dutch speakers. Frankly, it all seems like way too much work for a questionable result (since my room is in no way optimized for multi-channel). I'd much prefer to get a custom measurement created for myself in a room with properly setup Atmos speakers and room treatments.

My primary focus has always been creating the most convincing two-channel audio listening experience within my means. I've always preferred the 3-dimensional open and natural, image presentation of stereo speakers over the in-your-head sound of headphones. While I will watch an occasional movie on my modest HT setup, a multi-channel Dolby system was never the driving factor for my A16 purchase. When I first heard of the A8 capabilities, I jumped at the chance to experience the sound of speakers via headphones. Now, I look forward to listening to any highend two-channel setup with the Realiser, and as @audiohobbit mentioned, employing the manLOUD HPEQ process can improve your listening experience with PRIR measurements that are not your own.

Making 5.1/7.1 measurements with two speakers is a simple process that doesn't require moving speakers, only positioning yourself properly relative to the speakers themselves, which I did for my A16 measurements. The challenge was to create overhead channels. But even mow, I've not had a chance to experience an Atmos movie due to a lack of Atmos capable hardware. Regardless, the Dolby Surround results I was able to achieve with my D&D 8C were satisfactory even with a less than acoustically optimal shared HT/living room.

Of course, custom measurements would be ideal, but not everyone has access to a good studio or an ideal HT setup for measurements. In those cases, having the ability to sample PRIRs taken by others is a benefit that heretofore was not possible before the advent of the Realiser. If you're fortunate enough to find a PRIR that is a reasonably close match, the Realiser makes it possible to have a transformative headphone audio experience.

Speaking for myself, I think I'd rather have an A16 virtual 5.1 Dolby Surround system made from measurements of a pair of Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX ($330k/pr.) speakers, rather than limiting myself to measurements of a professionally built Dolby Atmos home theater system. However, I'd be equally satisfied with two-channel measurements of a pair of Chronosonics. This speaks to the true beauty of the Reaslier system, whether it be with two-channel or multi-channel listening. With the Realiser, an optimal experience is limited only by your ability to take personal measurements of good speakers in a good room (or if you are fortunate, by using someone else's PRIR).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back