Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #9,166 of 16,030
In addition to listening, I use the Test button on the remote to confirm each speaker's position.

Thanks for the rename tip. Definitely will come in handy.

If you chose to use the one speaker method for the Center on the third PRIR, make sure you perform the same one speaker operation for the SW or else it won't be populated. The third PRIR only contains two measurements - a Center and Subwoofer.

I followed your recipe in the _Readme V2 file, but however I do it, only 8 channels get populated with PRIR, should be 16 not?

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #9,167 of 16,030
I followed your recipe in the _Readme V2 file, but however I do it, only 8 channels get populated with PRIR, should be 16 not?
Did you unlock the listening room before trying to apply any changes to it (change the "red key" in the right upper corner into a "gray key")?
Did you first set the proper listening mode (9.1.6 if it is an atmos room, 9.1.6t if it is a pcm room) in the listening room before you started to select speakers from PRIRs?

Have you selected the listening room that you want in the preset that you use?
Are you listening to a suitable source signal? (If for example only the Atmos room in your active preset has a 9.1.6 layout you will need a dolby encoded source signal [Edit: a dolby bitstream].)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #9,168 of 16,030

Merging the three PRIRs listed below will result in a 16 channel 9.1.6 Atmos room.
  • PRIR_jazzfan_ Home D&D 8C _7[ 15.08 02-Jun-2020 ]200602210152.svs
  • PRIR_jazzfan_Home D&D 8C OH_9[ 17.26 06-Jun-2020 ]200607005319.svs
  • PRIR_jazzfan_Home D&D 8C _9[ 16.59 10-Jun-2020 ]200610195136.svs
I've updated the instructions in my original post and uploaded a new Readme v3 file to the Google Drive. Please review the new insturctions and try again. Send me a PM if you need additional assistance. Thanks!

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #9,169 of 16,030
Thank you for the enormous work you have been doing and are sharing with us. I just want some information from your end :
There is something I do not understand with your instructions.
You have 3 PRIRs :
1) 15.08 2nd June with 7 speakers (L,R,C,Lss,Rss,Lb,Rb)
2) 17.26 6th June with 6 overhead + Lw/Rw ; (Lw, Rw,Ltf,Rtf,Ltm,Rtm,Ltr,Rtr)
3) 16.59 10th June with 2 speakers (C,Sw)

No. 1 is all right but when I come to no. 2, the following occurs :
scroll to channel 3 (Center) = OK
select one matching speaker = OK
select channel 1 (Center) = NON OK because I come to the following screen :
1592063043923.png
Also when I copy your file no. 2) from the SD card it shows a red dot next to it :
1592063067039.png

I am sorry if I sound ungrateful. I must have messed up somewhere...or your instructions for step 2 apply instead to step 3 and vice versa ?

Not sure if you were able to resolve the issues. I updated my original post with corrected instructions. Let me know if the new instructions work for you.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #9,170 of 16,030
Did you unlock the listening room before trying to apply any changes to it (change the "red key" in the right upper corner into a "gray key")?
Did you first set the proper listening mode (9.1.6 if it is an atmos room, 9.1.6t if it is a pcm room) in the listening room before you started to select speakers from PRIRs?

Have you selected the listening room that you want in the preset that you use?
Are you listening to a suitable source signal? (If for example only the Atmos room in your active preset has a 9.1.6 layout you will need a dolby encoded source signal [Edit: a dolby bitstream].)

Yes, I followed all the steps as per you suggestions.

When I select the new preset, I see the 9.1.6 layout, but upon checking the virtual speakers (arrow down), I only see 8 visualised speakers with PRIRS present in the Room.

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #9,171 of 16,030
Yes, I followed all the steps as per you suggestions.

When I select the new preset, I see the 9.1.6 layout, but upon checking the virtual speakers (arrow down), I only see 8 visualised speakers with PRIRS present in the Room.

I Figured it out. I believe there is an error in the Read Me. The first 2 files contain the surround and OH PRIRS, and the last one the PRIRS for the C and SW. So, you need to do a selection for the individual speaker (C) for the last file, and not the second one (if I make myself clear).

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #9,172 of 16,030
I Figured it out. I believe there is an error in the Read Me. The first 2 files contain the surround and OH PRIRS, and the last one the PRIRS for the C and SW. So, you need to do a selection for the individual speaker (C) for the last file, and not the second one (if I make myself clear).

There are still many things I don't get though. I have 16 speakers which via TEST are all in the right position (the L speakers is used to accept the LFE feed not?). When I replay 7.1 content, the up mixer (sometimes working, sometimes only working after reloading the preset), it seem is doesn't up mix to 16 channels (also when I check the listening parameters, it show 7.1.6 and not 9.16). Lw, Ls, Rw and Rs seem to be unused, while I have the idea the feeds for these speaker are going to the OH speakers.

I will rename the files to actually see what I'm doing, but as of now there are some issues.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #9,173 of 16,030
Not sure if you were able to resolve the issues. I updated my original post with corrected instructions. Let me know if the new instructions work for you.

Thank you for your PRIRs which I was able to listen to, with a big help from audiohobbit, I admit.
I prefer - no offense - to listen to Rene's Nova PRIR 9.1.6. It gives me a more percussive effect. At least I could compare and choose which is the aim of it all. This is why we will have so much fun with the Realiser Exchange. I believe I will never find the graal, I mean the ideal PRIR, but the whole purpose after all is to look for it.

Talking about a previous unfortunate post :
I admit I may have gone a bit over the edge some time ago talking about Stephen in a not too flattering way. But done is done. You can never retrieve what is said...I can only rein in my temper.

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #9,174 of 16,030
it seem is doesn't up mix to 16 channels (also when I check the listening parameters, it show 7.1.6 and not 9.16). Lw, Ls, Rw and Rs seem to be unused
The upmixer does not use the wides Lw and Rw. In a 7.1.x or 9.1.x there should not be Ls and Rs (surrounds for 5.1) but Lss and Rss (side surrounds) and Lb, Rb (back surrounds) and all of these should be used by the upmixer.
the L speakers is used to accept the LFE feed not?).
Not sure what you mean here. Solo'ing the LFE channel is done via the LFE button.

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #9,175 of 16,030
Thank you for your PRIRs which I was able to listen to, with a big help from audiohobbit, I admit.
I prefer - no offense - to listen to Rene's Nova PRIR 9.1.6. It gives me a more percussive effect. At least I could compare and choose which is the aim of it all. This is why we will have so much fun with the Realiser Exchange. I believe I will never find the graal, I mean the ideal PRIR, but the whole purpose after all is to look for it.

Talking about a previous unfortunate post :
I admit I may have gone a bit over the edge some time ago talking about Stephen in a not too flattering way. But done is done. You can never retrieve what is said...I can only rein in my temper.
I'm getting tired of this crap too. I sent my Realiser in on January 28th which is nearly 5 months ago, and not a word. Wasn't this suppossed to be the month by which all the upgrades and repairs were supposed to be made. Looks like the only things accomplished so far, are two new versions of the firmware (because the first new version didn't work properly) and new product offerings for the pro market. Yeah, people do have a right to be pissed off.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #9,176 of 16,030
I heard back from James Smyth on the Mac/USB issues that I reported:

"Yes we have tested this and have realized that the Mac operating system Catalina does not work with the A16.
We would advise if possible for you to use an older OS. Currently we are in discussion with the USB company to get this problem fixed ASAP."

Not sure if anyone's noticed but a catalina driver is available for download. I installed it along with the 1.91 firmware update and it's now working on the latest OS X through HDMI (haven't tested USB). I also tested up mix on 7.1 HDMI in and this worked too (but did not seem so stable as I sometimes had to swap between presets to really get sound on OH channels etc).

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #9,177 of 16,030
To be 100% certain, I tried again your Dutch & Dutch PRIR yesterday afternoon and noticed that your Center (the corrected one) is fabulous. At least for me : neat, not too high physically but more in front of me and very clear for dialogues.
The more you try those comparisons, the more you change your mind.
Now I am using Rene's Nova channels + jazzman C channel.

Thanks guys.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #9,178 of 16,030
Posted today on facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pg/SmythResearch/posts/?ref=page_internal
...Hell Simon,
Yes we are still trading, COVID-19 had slowed things down over the last few months, but we will be back shipping Kickstarter units early next month.
All units shipped out will have the upgrades which include eARC and 24 channel Atmos decoding.
Thanks again for your continued support.

SMYTH RESEARCH

Can someone tell me if this is trustworthy ??? I am extremely cautious nowadays!

PS : the "realiser exchange" page is back on the Smyth Research website. Not functional but back

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #9,179 of 16,030
Posted on facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pg/SmythResearch/posts/?ref=page_internal
...Hell Simon,
Yes we are still trading, COVID-19 had slowed things down over the last few months, but we will be back shipping Kickstarter units early next month.
All units shipped out will have the upgrades which include eARC and 24 channel Atmos decoding.
Thanks again for your continued support.

SMYTH RESEARCH

Can someone tell me if this is trustworthy ??? I am extremely cautious nowadays!
This sounds different from the statements on their website: "Our business operations here in the UK are running normally" and "it’s business as usual"
If we look at the past, we can probably trust them that they will start shipping sooner or later. Starting shipping early next month sounds to me like an intention, not a promise.

At least there is some good news. The website https://www.realiserexchange.com is online again and I was able to register successfully.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #9,180 of 16,030
At least there is some good news. The website https://www.realiserexchange.com is online again and I was able to register successfully.
I registered too + the newsletter...
You access a regular page of a web site. Not yet "the" Realiser Exchange but a little bit more credible than before :
my files
my account (name, etc)
community
dashboard
contact
support

Users who are viewing this thread

Back