Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #9,136 of 15,989
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #9,138 of 15,989
Just an interest check to see if anyone would like more information on how I go about converting my PRIRs for use "offline" with JRiver or similar programs (with no need to use the A8 or A16 to get the same effect). I am thinking of putting together a short tutorial on how I create the impulse files and then how I personally use them for both stereo and multichannel (at least for Mac). I am also thinking I could create the impulse files for those that send me a PRIR/HPEQ (A8 or A16) if they don't want to do it themselves (but I would likely need a small fee to cover my time).

I did not come up with the process of creating an impulse file with the Realiser that is then used to do the necessary convolution (pretty sure this came up in the old A8 thread). I believe it is still described somewhere in the old Dropbox folder (or now Google Drive) where many of the old guard shared their PRIRs. But I remember it wasn't the easiest to follow, so happy to help to make it clearer.

With Jriver, one nice feature is that you can use the file conversion function to run a file offline through its DSP and apply the Realiser effect so that is baked into the converted file with the added benefit of having all metadata preserved. This process is much faster than real-time. So theoretically if you wanted a version of your music library for DAP or mobile use with Realiser simulation, you could create that easily. The other option is to manually record the output of the Realiser in real-time and then apply metadata to the recorded file. That is obviously not an ideal process.
I'd be very interested in doing this; could this be used with Equalizer APO and then used as a windows audio setting? (Similar to Hesuvi)

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #9,139 of 15,989
Is it soup yet!

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #9,140 of 15,989
If they have been developping several versions of the A16, i assume mostly aiming a professional purpose, i can understand why it is delaying shipping. I can also understand that they need some fresh cash. At least it shows that something is going on. However, the story remains the same. We are not babies that are going to throw a tantrum because we're being told that we'll have to wait again a bit longer... Even if we don't like it and get frustrated after a 4-year wait, we can still take it if we are being really explained what's going on.

BS! If they have units to sell they have units to ship. How much time money and effort did they piss away to develop these new models? Not once has Smyth made an announcement that they are broke and need to sell unit's in order to ship units. That is just crud made up by people on this thread. If there is any truth to that then they can make an anouncement and show us their financials. If I lived in ether the UK or the US I would have filed a complaint with the police by now.

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #9,141 of 15,989
BS! If they have units to sell they have units to ship. How much time money and effort did they piss away to develop these new models? Not once has Smyth made an announcement that they are broke and need to sell unit's in order to ship units. That is just crud made up by people on this thread. If there is any truth to that then they can make an anouncement and show us their financials. If I lived in ether the UK or the US I would have filed a complaint with the police by now.
Obviously since they don't communicate, these are speculations, i never said i know it for sure. People here are trying to understand Smyth Research in a way that makes a bif of sense. With a little transparency, they would dry out these talks on this thread and we could focus only on the A16 itself, its features, the experiences and the problems users face while using it.
"If they have units to sell they have units to ship", true but again if they sell some of the units that were meant for preorders, it brings some cash in and given how long it takes them to ships units (they shipped something like 250 units in 10 months, maybe a bit more), they'd have time to buy parts and assemble new units by the time they reach the shipping for these preorders.

The Smyth Research team includes 6 people according to their website. You can imagine how much it costs to pay these people for 4 years if there is no cash flow in, plus the costs connected to offices, electricity, insurances, taxes, etc. The deal they made with Heavenly Sound brought some money, but they may also ask for some results.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #9,142 of 15,989
Just an interest check to see if anyone would like more information on how I go about converting my PRIRs for use "offline" with JRiver or similar programs (with no need to use the A8 or A16 to get the same effect). I am thinking of putting together a short tutorial on how I create the impulse files and then how I personally use them for both stereo and multichannel (at least for Mac). I am also thinking I could create the impulse files for those that send me a PRIR/HPEQ (A8 or A16) if they don't want to do it themselves (but I would likely need a small fee to cover my time).

I did not come up with the process of creating an impulse file with the Realiser that is then used to do the necessary convolution (pretty sure this came up in the old A8 thread). I believe it is still described somewhere in the old Dropbox folder (or now Google Drive) where many of the old guard shared their PRIRs. But I remember it wasn't the easiest to follow, so happy to help to make it clearer.

With Jriver, one nice feature is that you can use the file conversion function to run a file offline through its DSP and apply the Realiser effect so that is baked into the converted file with the added benefit of having all metadata preserved. This process is much faster than real-time. So theoretically if you wanted a version of your music library for DAP or mobile use with Realiser simulation, you could create that easily. The other option is to manually record the output of the Realiser in real-time and then apply metadata to the recorded file. That is obviously not an ideal process.
Yes, please provide more information how you did this, that would be great!

On the old A8 thread someone described the process once and Darin used this process to create his 'out of your head' offering later on. Back then I had not the time to copy the described process, but as you already said: it would be very easy to convert a complete music library for offline usage with such a software-only solution.
If we can do this easily, that would be wonderful.

I once recorded some of my favorite songs through the A8 and copied the SVS-processed files to my smart phone. Later on I tried to listen to them with my smart phone and in-ear monitors and I can tell you from own experience: listening to your favorite songs through your virtualized high-end loudspeakers - when you actually are sitting in a nice street caffee and enjoining a fine espresso - will drive you tears of joy into your eyes.... !

You can do the same with multichannel recordings as well.... :xf_cool:

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #9,143 of 15,989
@jazzfan and everyone who wants to add PRIRs to the google drive: after uploading files please pm @Rene Lou then he will move it from the "upload files here" to the (read only for us) "A16 PRIRs" folder.

Will do in the future. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi sander
Thanks for the pm - I moved the new jazzfan files to the „3) A16...“ folder and renamed the readme files since there is an updated one (now called _Readme (v2).txt). @jazzfan: Thanks !

Thanks for moving the files.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I think you already tried reinstalling (older) Firmwares (several times)?
Did you have "the buzz" also?

I know, these pictures come from the documentations of the rooms that I linked in my thread. And there are more details like speaker distance and/or room dimensions

Guys, this is much easier:
You go to any speaker, select PRIR 1 and select ALL matching speakers. Then all the speakers from PRIR 1 will be populated.
Then you go to one of the missing speakers like Lw and select again ALL matching speakers from PRIR 2.
Then all the speakers except a SW are populated.
Then you got to the SW and select the SW from PRIR 3 by selecting one matching speaker.
Finished.
You could go to the C and select the other C from PRIR 3 though. I would propose create 2 rooms with both centers and then AB-compare them. How to do this is in the manual, I use this a lot at the moment. I can also write a little manual if needed how to do that.

You can of course select any other SW from other rooms, because as I understand this is not a real SW but one of these Dutch and Dutch speakers as SW. I don't know how deep they really go.
Or try Direct Bass.

PS: A red "dot" besides a text just means that the text is longer than can be displayed.

Thanks for simplifiying the instructions, but I believe the correct instructions should be modified as follows:
For PRIR_jazzfan_ Home D&D 8C _7[ 15.08 02-Jun-2020 ]200602210152.svs go to the first missing speaker, then select ALL matching speakers (this has a bad center channel)
For PRIR_jazzfan_Home D&D 8C OH_9[ 17.26 06-Jun-2020 ]200607005319.svs go to the first missing speaker, then select ALL matching speakers
For PRIR_jazzfan_Home D&D 8C _9[ 16.59 10-Jun-2020 ]200610195136.svs go to the SW, then select ALL matching speakers (corrected center will overwrite the bad center)

I'll update the README with these corrected instructions.

BTW... I'm waiting for a ROKU Streaming Stick+ to arrive next week. I'm hoping the ROKU device will allow me to hear the new 9.1.6 Atmos room I recently created. As I mentioned, my current hardware limits me to 5.1/7.1 listening only.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #9,144 of 15,989
For PRIR_jazzfan_Home D&D 8C _9[ 16.59 10-Jun-2020 ]200610195136.svs go to the SW, then select ALL matching speakers (corrected center will overwrite the bad center)
Hm, I'm not sure about this. Have you tested it?
It shows the PRIR where each speaker comes from besides the speaker so one can check this, but the length of text shown is limited so maybe they all just show "PRIR_jazzfan_ Home D&D 8C" and a red box behind it...
When going to the file "browser" in the A16 you can rename now PRIRs and HPEQs, that comes in really handy, I recommend give them shorter names so you can identify the PRIR in every display mode. This has to be done BEFORE you create a listenig room I presume.
To be absolutely sure I'd select the C and one speaker from the PRIR with the good C channel (didn't know that the other one was flawed somehow).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #9,145 of 15,989
I'd be very interested in doing this; could this be used with Equalizer APO and then used as a windows audio setting? (Similar to Hesuvi)

I had never heard of Equalizer APO but after a quick glance it looks like it would work, at least for serving as a virtual sound card to apply the effect to all audio. Jriver can also be used a a virtual sound card in Windows if I recall correctly. I am more familiar with Mac where if I want to apply the affect to audio outside JRiver, I use Audio Hijack.

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #9,146 of 15,989
Yes, please provide more information how you did this, that would be great!

On the old A8 thread someone described the process once and Darin used this process to create his 'out of your head' offering later on. Back then I had not the time to copy the described process, but as you already said: it would be very easy to convert a complete music library for offline usage with such a software-only solution.
If we can do this easily, that would be wonderful.

I once recorded some of my favorite songs through the A8 and copied the SVS-processed files to my smart phone. Later on I tried to listen to them with my smart phone and in-ear monitors and I can tell you from own experience: listening to your favorite songs through your virtualized high-end loudspeakers - when you actually are sitting in a nice street caffee and enjoining a fine espresso - will drive you tears of joy into your eyes.... !

You can do the same with multichannel recordings as well.... :xf_cool:

You are absolutely right. I use IEMs and remember the first time I got everything to work and loaded some converted files on my phone. Before, I was tethered to my desk with the Realiser, but now I could simulate my listening room anywhere. I was possibly more excited than when I first got the A8.

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #9,147 of 15,989
But you'd need a manual HPEQ (manLOUD or manSPKR in A16 terms) for listening with IEMs.
I use IEMs also (well only) for stationary listening and without a HPEQ or one for my LCD2s it sounds horrible.

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #9,148 of 15,989
This may be a good news for those of us who are waiting for upgrades, pre-orders & Kickstarter , I got shipping confirmation for my realiser.

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #9,149 of 15,989
This may be a good news for those of us who are waiting for upgrades, pre-orders & Kickstarter , I got shipping confirmation for my realiser.

Kickstarter order or upgrading an A16 you sent back to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back