Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 16, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #9,121 of 15,989
sorry, unfortunately, it is not the realizer but another kickstarter object .. that I wasn't expecting so soon and that in theory should not have left from the UK, he screwed me ... I was hoping :frowning2:
https://www.woojer.com/vest/

Here's the status of your order and tracking information:
Tracking Number:
39389XXXXX
Detail Status: In transit
Courier: FedEx
Courier Contact: 199.151.119 (Italy)

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #9,122 of 15,989
I'm a "Pre-Order" Customer Feb 15 2017 is when i put $700 down (partial payment) Paid the rest in May 2017 including $70 for shipping to United States. Any idea when I might be getting mine?
I'm afraid that no user who writes in this thread can make a reasonable EOA for your case. This uncertain situation is based on the lack of communication from Smyth Research regarding the integration of the new modules within the existing A16 units and resuming of shipments.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #9,125 of 15,989
Just an interest check to see if anyone would like more information on how I go about converting my PRIRs for use "offline" with JRiver or similar programs (with no need to use the A8 or A16 to get the same effect). I am thinking of putting together a short tutorial on how I create the impulse files and then how I personally use them for both stereo and multichannel (at least for Mac). I am also thinking I could create the impulse files for those that send me a PRIR/HPEQ (A8 or A16) if they don't want to do it themselves (but I would likely need a small fee to cover my time).

I did not come up with the process of creating an impulse file with the Realiser that is then used to do the necessary convolution (pretty sure this came up in the old A8 thread). I believe it is still described somewhere in the old Dropbox folder (or now Google Drive) where many of the old guard shared their PRIRs. But I remember it wasn't the easiest to follow, so happy to help to make it clearer.

With Jriver, one nice feature is that you can use the file conversion function to run a file offline through its DSP and apply the Realiser effect so that is baked into the converted file with the added benefit of having all metadata preserved. This process is much faster than real-time. So theoretically if you wanted a version of your music library for DAP or mobile use with Realiser simulation, you could create that easily. The other option is to manually record the output of the Realiser in real-time and then apply metadata to the recorded file. That is obviously not an ideal process.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #9,126 of 15,989
New on for-tune web site, Germany : https://for-tune.de/produkt/smyth-research-a162u-realiser/
A16 is available in the following versions : (from EUR 4.750 to EUR 5.410)
A16 : 16-channel analog version with asymmetrical analog inputs / outputs on mini-jack sockets : EUR 4.750
A16PA : 16-channel analog version with symmetrical analog inputs / outputs distributed over 4 D-Sub connectors in the arrangement of the Tascam pins : EUR 5.120
A16AES : 16-channel digital version in AES format with sampling frequency conversion distributed over 2 x D-Sub sockets in the arrangement of Tacam pins : EUR 5.120
A1632 : 32-channel digital version in AES format with conversion of the sampling frequency distributed over 4 D-Sub sockets in the arrangement of the Tascam pins :EUR 5.410

The shipping schedule mentioned is : 10 days...and PayPal is accepted !
But somewhere else on the web site they say :
The new A16 Pro versions should be available from mid-August onwards. We are of course delighted to accept pre-orders now : https://for-tune.de/realiser-a16-jetzt-auch-als-pro-version/

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #9,127 of 15,989
If they have been developping several versions of the A16, i assume mostly aiming a professional purpose, i can understand why it is delaying shipping. I can also understand that they need some fresh cash. At least it shows that something is going on. However, the story remains the same. We are not babies that are going to throw a tantrum because we're being told that we'll have to wait again a bit longer... Even if we don't like it and get frustrated after a 4-year wait, we can still take it if we are being really explained what's going on.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #9,128 of 15,989
If they have been developping several versions of the A16, i assume mostly aiming a professional purpose, i can understand why it is delaying shipping.
Would make sense. I knew that some sort of AES-EBU version was in development. Not more.
I don't know and I don't understand why they don't give some updates.
Of course I think the professional customers are most important, I can understand this.
For me it's easy to say since I got my A16 already since last September.
I can understand everyone who is p*ssed because of the long waiting times.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #9,130 of 15,989
An out of date web site presumes another communication network totally dedicated to professionals.
They wouldn't talk via the "contact" form on their web site
Hm, I don't fully understand what you're tryign to say. Maybe it's my english...?

To cheer you up (maybe):

Smyth-Research communication center:
delayed-due-to-some-reasons.jpg

source: www.engrish.com
:wink:

If someone from Smyth Research reads this (Stephen?): Don't be angry. But this is how most of us here are feeling at the moment or since beginning of the KS campaign ...

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #9,131 of 15,989
Hm, I don't fully understand what you're tryign to say. Maybe it's my english...?
Sorry, I was a bit cryptic.
I just meant to say that a pro would not use Smyth out of date website to buy anything since the A16 pro is not even mentioned.
You cannot buy what you do not see. Therefore my comment on another communication network targetted to pros.
What has it got to do the with lack of updates : all of us have already bought and paid - and not received for a lot of us - our A16. The pros not yet...they are the priority.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #9,132 of 15,989
Therefore my comment on another communication network targetted to pros.
Yes. E-Mail and Telephone. I don't think there's a "hidden (social) network" for Pros somewhere. I think the Smyths have already their contacts to a lot of Pros. I know at least one of them...
But some professionals also backed the A16 on KS. I don't know if they get their unit earlier, I don't think so.
At least to me it's a good sign if many professionals are asking for the A16. This keeps the business up and running and let the Realiser appear as a professional tool, not just a toy for hobbyists.
The studio I know do use the A8 for pre-mixing on location (concerts etc.) because the A8 is portable, which the A16 is not so much.
The final mix will of course always be made in the real studio.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #9,133 of 15,989
Some months ago, there was a debate that Smyth Research were entitled to give priority to those seeking to upgrade their already-delivered A16 units because that approach brought some needed fresh cash flow. Now, professional customers are the most important also because this kind of buyers can inject consistent flow cash into Smyth Research’s account. KS backers and pre-orders were charged some 3 - 4 years ago. That cash flow is not important because is not available anymore.

It follows that the lack of cash flow is the main driver that may postpone fulfilment of rewards for KS backers and pre-orders. However, one can ask: what/who made the lack of cash flow?

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #9,134 of 15,989
It follows that the lack of cash flow is the main driver that may postpone fulfilment of rewards for KS backers and pre-orders. However, one can ask: what/who made the lack of cash flow?

Given that the A16 was supposed to be released 3 years ago, with all the delays induced by the complexity of the development, employees had to be paid without the cash coming in from new sales at full prices after the official release.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #9,135 of 15,989
However, one can ask: what/who made the lack of cash flow?

The answer is "delayed due to some reasons" :relaxed:. (Sorry, I could neither resist it, nor help myself :relaxed: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back