Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 18, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #9,151 of 15,988
Nope , mine was a retail purchase , delayed for the hardware change (announcement happened right after purchase) and Covid.
original delivery date according to my Dealer was 30th March .

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #9,152 of 15,988
Ok, so you paid the full price and bought it at the Dealer in India?

Then unfortunately this is still no good news for KS backers, pre-orderers, all who wait for their HW upgrade and servicing/repair of their failed units they sent to Smyth Research.

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #9,153 of 15,988
But you'd need a manual HPEQ (manLOUD or manSPKR in A16 terms) for listening with IEMs.
I use IEMs also (well only) for stationary listening and without a HPEQ or one for my LCD2s it sounds horrible.

Perhaps its the particular IEM then. I use the UE Reference Remastered IEM and find it to be flat and transparent enough not to require a HPEQ at all. In fact, I prefer to use that IEM with no HPEQ over Stax with a HPEQ.

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #9,154 of 15,988
Talking about Stephen, did anyone hear about the "ostrich effect" : https://medium.com/@aliceparley/ost...ews-will-not-make-them-disappear-c93c0c197b81
... we like to imagine that nothing is happening and that the problems are solved by themselves. It is a fantasy that calms and comforts us in a certain way. Worse, on many occasions, we are not even fully aware that we are hiding our heads in the sand. In practice, we would ignore risk situations or signals of the same by pretending that they do not exist...

He certainly fits the profile !

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #9,155 of 15,988
Yes I got it full price from Aernoud Dekker of Audio Note India . Since the shipments stopped earlier this year, this is the first time I’m seeing shipments resume , hence the possibility is high that all shipments will start.
I got the UPS tracking number .

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #9,156 of 15,988
Really??

How about he is just overloaded with work? That's my impression.

Aside from that: I'm pretty sure that he, at least from time to time, read here in this thread.

How would you feel if you read that people who do not know you speculate about your personality/psychology etc. ???

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #9,157 of 15,988
Ok, so you paid the full price and bought it at the Dealer in India?

Then unfortunately this is still no good news for KS backers, pre-orderers, all who wait for their HW upgrade and servicing/repair of their failed units they sent to Smyth Research.

I would say the positive is that this shows at least some movement with A16s with the new components being made. Hopefully that means everything is in hand to start producing KS units and working through upgrades. While it doesn’t give us any concrete timeline at least it’s a small positive sign.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #9,158 of 15,988
I would say the positive is that this shows at least some movement with A16s with the new components being made. Hopefully that means everything is in hand to start producing KS units and working through upgrades. While it doesn’t give us any concrete timeline at least it’s a small positive sign.
It could also simply mean what most people here have always known, at least since shipping began, and nothing more: namely, that, only customers willing to shell out total retail price for the A16 seem to attract the immediate interest, attention, and responsiveness of SR. Only such clients are able to get SR's attention, and they even seem to retain that attention until the newly purchased unit has shipped. It seems if you fall into this category, James will drop whatever he is doing at any time, and ready a fresh unit to sell to you instantly, and give you a one-time only SR red carpet treatment. However, another thing we also know, sadly, is that this courtesy does not extend to those owners whose units (whether KS or retail) have already shipped, not even those who are seeking repairs or upgrades, talk less of KS or pre-orders that have not yet shipped in the first place.

It follows that even if they do have everything in hand, shipping out repaired or upgraded units (talk less of KS or pre-order units) may not exactly be the first pre-occupation on their minds at the moment, "due to some reasons," :relaxed:

I really wish I could share the cautiously optimistic tone conveyed by your post, however, "small" or tentative it might be. Unfortunately, that does not come easy when one has been "bitten" as often as some of us on this site have, by SR.

Note that I am not saying that the shipping will never resume. I am saying that we can believe it only when, and after we've actually seen it happening again, and not before.

Of course this is just my personal take... YMMV

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #9,159 of 15,988
Even for a new buyer , I’ve never paid this much for anything other than my workstation .
Yet 4 months of wait time, I would have taken a refund in the case of any other product . The product is unique and niche and hand assembled by the company . The vendor clearly stated limited availability. I was not sold on headphones when I first saw the Kickstarter go up for A16. Hence didn’t jump in .
I do understand the pain of waiting without much information . I shared my info so we know the shipping resumed.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #9,160 of 15,988
Congrats on your unit shipping.... and thanks for sharing that info... we all want everyone to get their units so we can share the experience the A16 brings... After you get your A16 let us know how you like it.... it is pretty cool ...

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #9,161 of 15,988
Thanks mate . I will , I joined this forum to learn from the good people here who have so much expertise with the A8 and now the A16.

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #9,162 of 15,988
Hm, I'm not sure about this. Have you tested it?
It shows the PRIR where each speaker comes from besides the speaker so one can check this, but the length of text shown is limited so maybe they all just show "PRIR_jazzfan_ Home D&D 8C" and a red box behind it...
When going to the file "browser" in the A16 you can rename now PRIRs and HPEQs, that comes in really handy, I recommend give them shorter names so you can identify the PRIR in every display mode. This has to be done BEFORE you create a listenig room I presume.
To be absolutely sure I'd select the C and one speaker from the PRIR with the good C channel (didn't know that the other one was flawed somehow).

In addition to listening, I use the Test button on the remote to confirm each speaker's position.

Thanks for the rename tip. Definitely will come in handy.

If you chose to use the one speaker method for the Center on the third PRIR, make sure you perform the same one speaker operation for the SW or else it won't be populated. The third PRIR only contains two measurements - a Center and Subwoofer.

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #9,163 of 15,988
Yes the SW of course also.
If the SW is still missing after the first two PRIRs and you select all matching speakers with your third PRIR that contains a SW and C, then the SW will be taken from this PRIR, what I don't know without testing is if the C will also be overwritten with the one from your third PRIR, when there is already one from the first PRIR. So if you have (shorter) Names of the 3 PRIRs you can see it in the Listening Room Display from which PRIR every speaker comes, and also in the speaker map display (press the green A or B for user A or B) when you press the Down button you will see all speakers in this preset listed with the PRIR they come from. Just in case you didn't know this.
And if you press the up button you see which HPEQ will be used and also what audio stream is decoded (5.1 etc.) and some more infos.

I have to do this all the time because my user A somehow often forgets the preset settings. This is odd.
Example:
Preset 1 for User A I set Listening room 1 for every mode (Atmos, DTSX, PCM), I set a specific HPEQ and a delay (typically 110 ms for Blurays with my setup). I go to the top line to (re)load this preset, then I go to speaker map display. It happens that when I now go back to the preset settings page (normally using the BACK button) that Preset 1 has different settings, Listening rooms 5, 6 whatever, a different HPEQ and Delay 0 for example. And a different upmixer setting and so on. As long as I don't reload this preset I'm still listening to the preset as I set it up in the first place.
But let's say I just want to make one change for this preset, let's say activate the upmixer. So I go back to the preset settings page for Preset 1 and if I don't look at all the settings there and just change the upmixer setting or anything else and reload it, it could happen that I have totally different settings in the preset.

And also there is a problem with my volume settings (user A and B) I set the volume for example to 70 and it can happen that when I press the VOL + button then again, the display does not increase from 70 to 71 but jumps back to some lower value, 65 for example, but this is random. However it never jumped to a higher level fortunately.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #9,165 of 15,988
Of course.
These jumps are random. And if it drops to a lower level I can increase it again in the normal 1-incremental steps.
And withTri-Vol there would be a small 1,2 or 3 beside the Volume display.
Has nothing to do with Tri-Vol.
( I tested this once and deemed it useless for me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back