Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 22, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #5,868 of 15,989
Is it possible to do measurements of an unequalized system with analog sweeps, and then for playback insert the equalization after the source but before the A16? By equalization I am broadly including frequency, time and delay compensation. If the equalization is done separately for each channel, then since these linear operations and filters should commute with the Smyth SVS linear filters in theory it should work, although their may be implementation issues. However, if the equalization is done jointly for multiple channels (such as Trinnov equalization with remapping), the situation seems less clear. Anyways, so long as one has channel-wise equalization before the A16, such as minidsp, audyssey, dirac , with blu-ray, AVR, PC, respectively, then one should obtain the same equalization as if digital sweeps were output over HDMI followed by equalization (not sure about dirac: does it do remapping?). This approach doesn't rely on any capability for PEQ in the A16 itself. Of course, the requirement to have the equalization in the loop affects portability and in particular the ability to share PRIR, unless one also shares an equalization filter, which may not be available or compatible. I wonder if anyone has tried this with the A8.

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #5,870 of 15,989
@Sanctuary I figured out how to measure the way you’re talking about that worked on the A8. You pick your speakers for the first sweep, when presented with the enter to save or SPK to redo you hit the back button. You can then select different speakers to measure that what you just did. When you get back to the screen where it plays the sweeps it will have a little white outline around the speakers you’ve already measured. This will allow you to measure up to 16 speakers individually and save them in a single PRIR. Glad you pointed this out because it’s going to make my file management much nicer when I redo my measurements tomorrow.

Aug 22, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #5,871 of 15,989
This will allow you to measure up to 16 speakers individually and save them in a single PRIR.
The user manual states that a PRIR can contain up to 64 speakers. I already suspected there could be more than 16 because I saw PRIRs with 32 speakers mentioned in one of the older documents.
So I was wondering maybe with the method you mentioned you can measure and safe up to 64 speakers as wel?
(Even if you can not use them all at once, you can put all speakers for all formats that you measured in the same physical room in one PRIR for neat organisation. I suspect by the way that PRIRs with 32 or 64 speakers have been introduced with the idea in mind of using multiple A16s cascaded together to do 32 and maybe even 64 channel simulations.)

Aug 22, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #5,872 of 15,989
Is it possible to do measurements of an unequalized system with analog sweeps, and then for playback insert the equalization after the source but before the A16?
Yes, using the multi channel analog inputs of the A16.
And in theory also via USB, if you have a pc that can play the media file, decode the 3D audio formats, do the EQ etc. and send the result as 16 channel PCM over USB to the A16.
However, in each case: you must have the EQ etc. calibrated with the real physical room and speakers! You can not do that afterwards with only the virtual system.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #5,874 of 15,989
My guess is you will receive an email next week. Two weeks running it has been on a Tuesday.

Early on it seems more like five a week not even ten.
Yeah, maybe because of the new firmware and having to change the manual and getting into the "rhythm"

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #5,875 of 15,989
Early on it seems more like five a week not even ten.

Plus however many they sold retail

Note to others - it seems worth confirming the plug (country) and extras you've ordered when you get the email confirming your address - I think a couple received wrong power plug and wrong accessories?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #5,876 of 15,989
This will allow you to measure up to 16 speakers individually and save them in a single PRIR.

Would the room you've done be something you could upload for others to try, or does that only work through the (as yet) unreleased exchange website?
(I'm not suggesting you upload yours, just interested in the mechanics of sharing - are we locked out from doing it any way other than their site?)

there's a few A8 files here you may want to try out with your A16
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-svs-realiser-prir-exchange-thread.610920/

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #5,877 of 15,989
The user manual states that a PRIR can contain up to 64 speakers. I already suspected there could be more than 16 because I saw PRIRs with 32 speakers mentioned in one of the older documents.
So I was wondering maybe with the method you mentioned you can measure and safe up to 64 speakers as wel?
(Even if you can not use them all at once, you can put all speakers for all formats that you measured in the same physical room in one PRIR for neat organisation. I suspect by the way that PRIRs with 32 or 64 speakers have been introduced with the idea in mind of using multiple A16s cascaded together to do 32 and maybe even 64
Would the room you've done be something you could upload for others to try, or does that only work through the (as yet) unreleased exchange website?
(I'm not suggesting you upload yours, just interested in the mechanics of sharing - are we locked out from doing it any way other than their site?)

there's a few A8 files here you may want to try out with your A16
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-svs-realiser-prir-exchange-thread.610920/

I honestly don't know if there's any DRM on the files or if they could be used others.

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #5,878 of 15,989
I honestly don't know if there's any DRM on the files or if they could be used others.
I think the answer is here:
5.3.3.3 Lock PRIRs
A locked PRIR can only be used by the A16 that was originally used to measure it.
Normally set OFF.
When set ON a measured PRIR is locked to the host A16.
When set OFF a measured PRIR can be used by all A16 units.
External micro-SD card storage for PRIR and HPEQ files. Files can be copied to/from the SD card from/to the permanent internal memory. Files cannot be deleted from the micro-SD card.
My interpretation (and I can not think of another one):
If a PRIR is measured with this lock setting off, it can be copied to an SD card, and from there distributed to other users any way you want, copied on an SD card again and used by all A16 owners.

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #5,879 of 15,989
The A8 Files will work with the A16.. but the A16 files will not work with the A8... when you copy a A8 file to your micro sd card the A16 will be able to load them and the A16 will rename them for you... if you do this its probably best of have a PC directory for the A8 files and a seperate directory for the A16 files.... once you load the A8 files into the A16 and they get renamed then backup the files on the A16 and place them in the A16 directory... I would think you would also have sub directory for the Headphone files and the speaker files if possible.. it seems the A16 is more complicated than the A8 but managable if the data is backedup properly... one thing I did notice witht he A8 files is note taking of all the details during capture and what the files contain is a valuable resource down the road... maybe a nice Excel spread sheet ?

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #5,880 of 15,989
Very important!
8.3.3.2 Look-elev
Look-elev is the elevation, or tilt, angle of the head. NOTE: Elevation angles are not currently used.
I would be very interested to know if you can already measure the up- and down- looking angles. If you do a PRIR measurement without these, you will never be able to use elevation head tracking with this PRIR (if and when it is implemented in the future).
If [Edit: now already] you can and do measure a PRIR including the up- and down- looking angles then later , if and when elevation head tracking is implemented you can use elevation head tracking with this PRIR.

@Got the Shakes, or anyone else, please try if you can switch "Look-elev" on in the "Config look angles menu" (see page 68 of the manual) and try to measure a PRIR including the up- and down- looking angles:

upload_2019-8-23_3-59-3.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back