1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393
395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404
Next

Last
  1. Dixter
    There is some chatter over at the French site indicating Gilles put together asynchronous capture files and a few PRIR files on a SD for his customers.. plus a quick guide...

edit: indication that the files will be on the exchange site once it is live...

also of note... seems the 2U version is the one being sent out...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    CanMad likes this.
  2. Got the Shakes
    I’ll have to look when I get home, but I believe it comes in a pretty long length like maybe 10’ and then also comes with an extension cable.

jgazal likes this.
  3. Got the Shakes
    I would kill for the asynchronous capture files since I need to do another capture of my room.

4. Dixter
    Richter Di likes this.
  5. Got the Shakes
    Using online translation, best I could tell the asynchronous sweep files are being locked to the individual A16s he’s shipping so I’m not sure a user there can help. Maybe I’ll try shooting a message to him directly and see if I get anywhere with that.

Richter Di likes this.
  6. Fox1977
    Actually, what is said on the french forum is that the files provided by Gilles to his customers are copyrighted, therefore said customers are not allowed to share these files with others.

7. CanMad
    Smyth are lucky to have Gilles I think

Evshrug, Richter Di and J.Villain like this.
  8. sahmen

Smyth Realiser A16 (lien Podcast+transcription FR en post 1)

[​IMG] » 23 Août 2019 21:35

blanquart_c

Bonsoir,

J'ai reçu aujourd'hui mon A16 provenant de AV-in ((Gille); C'est la version rack. Je n'ai fait que le déballage car je dois m'absenter quelques jours. Gille a joint une carte Sd avec un petit guide simple en français de l'utilisation de la bête, et différents fichiers comme les fichiers pour capture asynchrone et quelques PRIR. Ce matériel est sous copyright AV-in.

Dés mon retour je vous tiens au courant de mes expériences.

Christian

I received my A-16 today from AV-in (Gille); it is the rack version. All I've done [so far] is unbox it, because I have to go away for a few days. Gille included an SD card containing simple instructions in French for the use of the beast, as well as different files, such as those for asynchronous capture and a few PRIRs. This material is copyrighted to AV-in

As soon as I am back, I shall let you know about my experiences (impressions?)

Christian

[​IMG] » 23 Aoû 2019 21:49

mr. fox

J’ai l’impression qu’il n’y a que des versions 2U qui sont livrées pour le moment...
    mr.fox

I get the impression that only 2U versions have been delivered so far.

[​IMG] » 23 Aoû 2019 21:59
    sebbs

Félicitations Christian

[​IMG]

Concernant la petite carte sd que fournit Gilles Gérin à ses clients et dont les données sont sous copyright AV-in, en ce qui concerne les fichiers de capture asynchrone et les quelques PRIR je n'ai rien à redire mais concernant le petit guide d'utilisation en français je trouve que c'est de la mesquinerie de ne pas le laisser en libre téléchargement.

Il ne faut pas oublier qu'il y a une tripotée d'accessoires qui vont avec le Realiser comme le head-tracker (dont beaucoup d'entre nous vont surement en acheter un second) ou autre qui sont vendus sur la boutique AV-in, donc Gilles Gérin a tout intérêt à se faire un peu de pub avec par exemple un guide d'utilisation en français téléchargeable gratuitement, même pour ceux qui sont passés par kickstarter par exemple.

Enfin bon.

Congratulations, Christian

I have nothing to say about the small SD card whose content is copyrighted to AV-in, (the one which) Gilles Gérin is providing for his clients, the asynchronous capture files, and the small number of PRIRs. However, I find it rather petty that the small user guide in French has not been made available for free download.

One should not forget that there is a gaggle of accessories which work with the Realiser, such as the head-tracker (of which many among us are certainly going to purchase a second piece), and others that are sold by AV-in, so Gilles Gérin has everything to gain by generating a little publicity for himself, through a free downloadable user manual in French, for example, even for kickstarter backers.

Oh well!

mr. fox
    [​IMG] » 23 Aoû 2019 22:42

De toute façon, la fonction de capture asynchrone n'est pas encore activée d'après ce que j'ai compris de ceux qui ont déjà reçu le A16.

mr fox
    At any rate, from what I have gathered from those who have already received their A16s, the asynchronous capture feature has still not been activated.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  9. esimms86
    Thanks for your post. If I were interested in spending $4000 for early shipment of my Kickstarter (#174) A16 - which I’m not- I would seriously consider purchasing it through Giles in order to receive his special brand of customer service. Parenthetically, I wonder if any A16s were shipped to the Indian dealer.

BTW, while I believe that the A16, even in its current state, is good value for $4000, I can’t justify spending that kind of money now as a retired person (especially as a married retired person who would like to stay married!).

10. Richter Di
    August 12th
    I guess it is fair to say that they didn’t.

11. Chillzone21
    Who has compared the A16 directly to the A8? DSperber?

12. illram
    I mean.... are you surprised?:wink:

Evshrug likes this.
  13. Richter Di
    Kind of. I had for sure hopes.

14. dsperber
    I don't have an A16. I only demo'ed one at CanJam SoCal, but that was more for a demo of Atmos via SVS. I was already an established convinced believer in the A8/SVS and its clear dominance over Dolby Headphone as far as being able to produce a genuinely real-sounding virtual surround illusion, not to mention its uncanny ability to "capture and then duplicate during playback" the actual listening environment sound to my own ears of a 5.1/7.1 array of physical loudspeakers as reproduced through stereo headphones. I went to CanJam because I was fascinated to see if it was really possible to add a vertical component of overhead speakers with the A16 and its 16-channel PRIR. What would be the overall virtual 3D speaker sensation, and if they would be just as capable of producing vertical physical location cues to my hearing system as horizontal-only PRIR's did with the A8 and its 8-channel PRIR.

And I came away very impressed, to a large degree also with how they'd come up with a new very fast but still very accurate sweep-signal calibration process running through all the many speakers individually and very rapidly, and yet still produced an amazingly accurate playback sensation. I also came away realizing that I should have been using the head-tracker all these years, rather than not (simply because of cabling inconveniences). The demo experience (which used HT) was so "convincing" that I found and installed one HT/ST setup where it was most convenient. And I can report that my subsequent listening experience through that setup is noticeably more "3D realistic". I am now a HT convert.

I don't have access or knowledge of (yet, anyway) a nearby sound studio or home theater or listening environment where I might be able to arrange for a Dolby Atmos calibration. So my own near-term plan is just to continue to use my 5.1/7.1 AIX PRIR's with my A16 (really purchased to replace my analog-only #0001 A8). I don't plan to utilize the A16 to do the decoding of source content (other than Atmos content in the future), but rather plan to still use my upstream Oppo players to do all 5.1/7.1 decoding and continue to feed 5.1/7/1 decoded multi-channel LPCM via HDMI to the A16, same as I do today with my A8. In other words, for non-Atmos content the HDMI-enabled A16 will simply be a replacement for my analog-only A8 eliminating my current 7.1 pre-out analog connections from my Oppo player to the 7.1 analog inputs of the A8.

Now it's not like I don't expect to experiment with Atmos, even while still not having a personalized Atmos PRIR. I do plan to give the Atmos PRIR's provided with the A16 a shot, playing back Atmos content through my Oppo UDP-203. The source would either be BluRay discs with Atmos content, or streaming content via my Roku Ultra (feeding the HDMI input of the 203). I don't expect this generic one-size-fits-all PRIR to produce results which would measure up to a PRIR from a personal measurement, but we shall see just how well it "fits" my own hearing system.

Anyway, I don't have my A16 yet. Don't really expect it anytime soon, I'm afraid.

In the meantime, I will simply continue to "enjoy my own personal AIX mixing room 5.1/7.1 sound" PRIR's through my A8's while listening to "conventional" mostly DTS-MA HD audio from streaming/disc movies, or DD5.1 from HDTV. And I will follow with great interest the experiences and impressions of everybody else posting here on this thread.

I find it very interesting that so many people are seemingly trying to "create a theoretical room" and matching PRIR for themselves through the manipulative and EQ capability of the A16, mixing individual channels from other PRIR's, using one-speaker and rotating seating position to produce "virtual multiple listening angles", etc.. To me this is kind of like expecting to manually produce "the best possible listening PRIR" (which, by the way, will only be "best" for you and very likely nobody else), rather than working to "capture a real live listening environment" in a PRIR so that using it for playback reproduces the ACTUAL SOUND OF THAT LISTENING ENVIRONMENT.

In fact, some listening environments are mediocre, and that's what the corresponding PRIR reflects. Some listening environments are fabulous, and similarly that's what that corresponding PRIR reflects. For me, the objective of the A8/A16 is to be a "sonic camera" of how any given listening environment sounds to you, and to duplicate that sound at playback. Your collected library of assorted PRIR's is not a collection of 100% "perfect, best-possible" sounds (wouldn't they all then be identical??). It is a collection of DIFFERENT sounds, representing DIFFERENT listening environments. Inevitably you will prefer one or several over others (given your own personal hearing system and playback/headphone equipment) but that is exactly the same as would happen in the real world if you went into an audio store that had say ten different listening rooms set up with ten different assortments of electronics, speakers and locations, room size and floor/wall/ceiling treatments, etc.. They would each sound DIFFERENT, and you would walk away no doubt declaring one of them the clear winner, I assure you.

Obviously one must be lucky enough to have access to a wonderful listening environment you can borrow or rent for an hour, and that can also be hooked up to the A8's calibration mechanisms so that a PRIR can be captured. For me that's always been the real magic of the A8 and SVS, namely the ability to "sonically photograph" the actual real sound of say the no-longer existing AIX room to a PRIR, and then to be able to play any content back through that PRIR (for me via (a) Oppo 103 -> HDMI to A8 -> optical to Audio-GD NFB9 DAC -> XLR to Stax SR-009/SRM-007tii, or (b) Oppo 203 -> 7.1 pre-out analog to A8 -> optical to Oppo Sonica DAC -> XLR to Stax SR-Omega/SRM-T1S) so that when I listen to anything it's genuinely as if I were back at AIX listening to that same new content through the actual speakers, equipment, floors/walls/ceiling and baffles of the AIX room... while in my bedroom wearing headphones. That's the real "thrill"

Somehow I can't really expect any "manually produced one-channel-at-a-time fictional-speaker PRIR" to sound as good or as realistic as a true PRIR actually captured through the automatic sequence of sweep signals sent through all statically located physical speakers of a real listening environment which actually has its own overall true tonal and locational characteristics to your real ears as measured by the microphones in your ears as you sit there looking "center", or "left" or "right". I guess it may be better than nothing, and it may be better than trying to use a generic exchange-offered PRIR that reflects somebody else's personalized calibration, but I believe it really will never be as wonderful or realistic (mediocre or fabulous) as your own actual personalized PRIR calibration of any true listening environment.

I think I have five different PRIR's (not dozens). But I only listen to two of them, namely the 5.1/7.1 AIX set. Why? Because "it sounds the best". Clear winner. It's like the AIX room is my own personal home theater listening environment, and I love its wonderful warm speaker sound and lack of echos... for everything. Why not just use it always, same as if I always went into my family room with its TV and sound system anytime I wanted to watch TV or a movie, and thus always heard things through the same sound setup? Bottom line: I do. I never stray from that AIX PRIR.

I suspect eventually I will be lucky enough to get a high-end Dolby Atmos PRIR created somewhere. Looking forward to adding that one for always-use like my AIX PRIR is for 5.1/7.1.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    ajax1 and innocentblood like this.
  15. sander99
    What you can also very easily do with your A16 for the short term (yes I know, more manipulation but probably better than all non-personalised speakers):
    Create a new virtual room, select the 7.1 ear level speakers from your AIX 7.1 PRIR and select the atmos speakers (and maybe the wide speakers for 9.1.6) from one of the supplied generic BRIRs.

First

Back
384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393
395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404
Next

Last