Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 19, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #2,251 of 16,050
Hoping for some help here. I have purchased both HDX and UHD titles on VUDU.

I am using a Samsung BD-F7500 4K Upscaling 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player, HDMI output configured to AUTO. I am using the VUDU app on the Samsung
when I pull up Movie Sound on the AV7702, I get the following Options (when playing a UHD title):

Stereo
Dolby Digital +
Dolby Atmos/Surround
NeoX
Virtual

On the VUDU app, its says I purchased a UHD title and highlights HDX. When playing the movie, at the bottom it allows me to pick between HDX and SD only.

So does this mean I am actually getting Dolby Digital Plus for sound not Dolby Atmos?
Is it offering me to upconvert from DD+ to Dolby Atmos?

My AV7702... I have a 7.1 surround system as far as speakers. I dont actually have the 2-4 ceiling speakers nor do I have height surrounds.
My TV is a 1080p set not a 4k set. Its a Panasonic TC-P65VT60.

The reason I ask is that eventually I will be getting an Smyth A16 for headphone surround. My entire collection of bluray and 4k is on VUDU now. I think what VUDU does is the software looks for a downstream 4k TV EDID. So what I think I need to do is the following (If I dont upgrade to a 4k TV);

Change my bluray player to a VUDU UHD compatible device like a Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player UBD-M9500 or Nvidia Shield TV
Connect that to the Smyth A16
Connect A16 to something like this: HD Fury box https://www.hdfury.com/product/integ...60-444-600mhz/ (not sure if this would go in front of or behind the A16 or after the AV7702..in between the AV7702 and the TV)
Connect Fury box to AV7702.

So what I am trying to do is pick off the Dolby Atmos audio feed to go into the A16 for my headphones and then have the Fury box convert the video from 4k to 1080p for the TV.

https://forum.vudu.com/forum/vudu/ge...e-devices-list
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.hdfury.com/product/integ...60-444-600mhz/

Thoughts?

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,252 of 16,050
Thanks for mentioning the Mobius here ! i have ordered a pair, should be great to use in hotels room :)

People from audeze are very active on mobius thread, i wish smyth people were a little more active here too...

Me too! I feel a bit more openess about their process would be good after making us wait a year more. I really trusted them with May 2017.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #2,253 of 16,050
Audeze is a good company and the Mobius headphones will be good for the price, but i don't think personally, that anything at the moment on the market will move you and bring so much 3D surround sound realism like the A16.
Anyone planning to use Stax 009 with it?
What will be your headphones of choice.
I am wondering how Ether Flow will work as for me they were more comfortable then HD800.
I will be using my HD 800, though in short bouts I might use my vintage Stax SR-X mk III. The SR-X is amazingly responsive, but it's an on-ear and hurts much quicker.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #2,255 of 16,050
Oh, I can think of many other improvements (just wishfull thinking here) for example
-full atmos 9.1.6 decoding (similar for DTS, and 15.1 Auro 3D)?
-something specific for Ambisonics?
-sophisticated room correction for AV Amp mode, like Dirac Live
Or maybe flac decoding? Maybe DSD too?
Maybe an adapter for connecting normal HP cable/plug to both A and B jacks?
Or maybe even price cut?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #2,258 of 16,050
I didn't find them to have a wide soundstage but with Realiser A16 it may be working.
Don't you find them heavy after 2-3 hours on your head?

I also hope the Utopia will be a good pairing with the Realiser. If not, I always have my HD800's :)

As far as Utopia comfort, to me personally, they are fantastic. The headband and materials used in it are very nice and I can sit there hours upon hours listening to them (I already do tons of marathon gaming sessions with them on, lol).

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #2,259 of 16,050
Anyone planning to use Stax 009 with it?
What will be your headphones of choice.

I bought a Stax 009 setup last august and I already own a pair of Sennheiser Hd800's. I'm also awaiting the Yarra soundbar and have just ordered the Audeze Mobius.

The Hd800's sound decent enough and they are quite comfortable so I imagine they will work very well with the Realiser.

I have put maybe 20 hours on the 009's (partly because I have been putting off having a conversation with my wife about why I would spend a few thousand dollars on a new pair of headphones when she already knows what I spent on my Sennheisers.) Anyway, the 009's do sound good but I have not noticed a great difference from my hd800's. Bit of buyers remorse but I need to spend more time with them and definitely would like to hear them with the A16 before I make a final judgement.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,260 of 16,050
Stax 009 is great as i had them,but you need a high quality energiser for best sound. I just want to stick with A16 and just a pair of headphones, as i like simplicity and comfort amoung the sound quality.
Not sure about the HD820, but they were supposed to have the biggest soundstage of all closed back headphones. If they won't work there are other high quality open back headphones.
Soon we should have another update, and i hope to have a shipping date this time.
Fingers crossed anyway for the anoucement at CanJam Los Angeles.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2,263 of 16,050
Mar 26, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #2,264 of 16,050
It'd better be good ...
Coming up on the two year anniversary of the first post in this thread and still no ship date let alone shippable product. Maybe it will all turn out all right in the end, but I, for one, am glad I did not get in on the ground floor of this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back