Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 22, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #11,191 of 16,105
Got the NS 1000M, room correction soon

Going to get around to finishing refurbing the Quads. I might try room correction and captures to see if the speed of a quad can be captured in the realiser impulse response applied over the headphone recreation, from, while in a studio treated room.
I bet that it could be... They imitate point sources an would make for interesting L R C and Lsc Rsc

I've heard captures of the quads before and because it is a different radiation pattern they map, particularly fairly well and generically to most people...

Better than the small driver speakers / monitors and reference stuff anyway, when using somebody else' Prir captures.

I want to try a Quad 2805 (close to same as the 63 for our purposes )and Yammy NS 1000M Room corrected 21 by 24 foot space.

I think those captures could be worth sharing... ! Still working on thoughts on captures. I am baiting my breath. But first am hoping to get around to this in the next 2 to 4 weeks, or month,!

I twas privileged to borrow the M2 sub pac from a friend tonight. That was fun and intriguing.
Sub pac and sub need apply next!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #11,192 of 16,105
Ok. What did I do? What have I broken? More importantly, how do I "fix" it and get everything back to normal?

My A16 no longer powers up and presents the speaker map for the last used preset. It stops just prior to that with the main menu screen presented, with everything in the menu accessible and usable as if everything were normal. But the final action of presenting the speaker map for the PRIR in effect (and also then allowing choosing another preset, etc.) never happens. It's just stuck at the menu screen.

I've pulled power out, waited, and re-plugged. No change.

I'm wondering if some "damage" was done because in some testing I was doing last night I got a red screen with "Error 001" several times. And that forced me to power off and on again. Obviously at that time I was still able to complete boot-up and get the speaker map. And another test produced another red screen and "Error 001". But now I can no longer complete the boot process.

Anybody know what the proper diagnostic steps are at this point? I don't really want to do a "factory reset" if I don't have to but I will if I must. Of course if I have a hardware problem I wouldn't think a reset would solve anything. Could I actually have a hardware problem?? Seems hard to believe.

NOTE: the testing I was doing was related to my Apple TV 4K streaming device. I was pursuing why I could not get sourc DD+ 5.1 audio (not Atmos, just plain DD5.1) from a film streamed from Hulu to the ATV4K as expected. The ATV4K does not "bitstream" so I expected decoding the DD5.1 audio by the ATV4K and delivery as LPCM 5.1 to the A16. But that's not what was happening. Instead I was getting a PCM5.1 "wrapper" with only 2.0 audio channels inside. Of course in contrast the identical film delivers the still encoded "bitstreamed" audio to the A16 from both Roku Ultra as well as nVidia Shield TV, and the A16 shows "Dolby Audio" in the display screen with "Dolby Digital+" and "5.1CH" in the display screen, exactly as it should.

Anyway I decided to try changing the audio output settings of the ATV4K, to see if that might solve the problem. The before setting is the default of "Change format OFF" (which causes the ATV4K to decode audio and put out LPCM) and "Dolby Atmos ON" (thereby facilitating delivering content with Dolby Atmos audio). Although I didn't have much confidence, I temporarily changed the setup to "Change format ON" and specified Dolby Digital 5.1 (which should force conversion of any audio to DD5.1) which in turn forced "Dolby Atmos OFF". I really didn't think this is how it should be configured, and shouldn't have been needed. I don't know if this results in Dolby MAT??

Whatever, it was right after making this audio setup change in the ATV4K that the red screen and "Error 001" now seemed to always hit the A16, as if something in the newly converted audio stream now coming from the ATV4K was breaking the A16.

I've tried removing the HDMI cable from the ATV4K going to the A16, thinking perhaps not having the source device identified in the last used PRIR might cause a "timeout" or something, and let the speaker map get populated. But no change I'm afraid. So it's something else.

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #11,193 of 16,105
Ok. What did I do? What have I broken? More importantly, how do I "fix" it and get everything back to normal?
My A16 no longer powers up and presents the speaker map for the last used preset. It stops just prior to that with the main menu screen presented, with everything in the menu accessible and usable as if everything were normal. But the final action of presenting the speaker map for the PRIR in effect (and also then allowing choosing another preset, etc.) never happens. It's just stuck at the menu screen.
I am certainly not the right person to advise you ; however at the time of my problem (buzzes) some time ago, Stephen asked me to :
...would it be possible for you to send a screen shot of the diagnostic page (press enter when the cursor is on the Audio Source line in the home page). Also a screen shot of the Updates/About page would be useful...

Could James help you out with a copy of those screens if you can access them of course ?

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #11,194 of 16,105

I'm wondering if some "damage" was done because in some testing I was doing last night I got a red screen with "Error 001" several times. And that forced me to power off and on again. Obviously at that time I was still able to complete boot-up and get the speaker map. And another test produced another red screen and "Error 001". But now I can no longer complete the boot process.

Anybody know what the proper diagnostic steps are at this point? I don't really want to do a "factory reset" if I don't have to but I will if I must. Of course if I have a hardware problem I wouldn't think a reset would solve anything. Could I actually have a hardware problem?? Seems hard to believe.

NOTE: the testing I was doing was related to my Apple TV 4K streaming device. I was pursuing why I could not get sourc DD+ 5.1 audio (not Atmos, just plain DD5.1) from a film streamed from Hulu to the ATV4K as expected. The ATV4K does not "bitstream" so I expected decoding the DD5.1 audio by the ATV4K and delivery as LPCM 5.1 to the A16. But that's not what was happening. Instead I was getting a PCM5.1 "wrapper" with only 2.0 audio channels inside. Of course in contrast the identical film delivers the still encoded "bitstreamed" audio to the A16 from both Roku Ultra as well as nVidia Shield TV, and the A16 shows "Dolby Audio" in the display screen with "Dolby Digital+" and "5.1CH" in the display screen, exactly as it should.

Anyway I decided to try changing the audio output settings of the ATV4K, to see if that might solve the problem. The before setting is the default of "Change format OFF" (which causes the ATV4K to decode audio and put out LPCM) and "Dolby Atmos ON" (thereby facilitating delivering content with Dolby Atmos audio). Although I didn't have much confidence, I temporarily changed the setup to "Change format ON" and specified Dolby Digital 5.1 (which should force conversion of any audio to DD5.1) which in turn forced "Dolby Atmos OFF". I really didn't think this is how it should be configured, and shouldn't have been needed. I don't know if this results in Dolby MAT??

Whatever, it was right after making this audio setup change in the ATV4K that the red screen and "Error 001" now seemed to always hit the A16, as if something in the newly converted audio stream now coming from the ATV4K was breaking the A16.

I've tried removing the HDMI cable from the ATV4K going to the A16, thinking perhaps not having the source device identified in the last used PRIR might cause a "timeout" or something, and let the speaker map get populated. But no change I'm afraid. So it's something else.
The error 001 is what I got and I had to send it back. At the same time I had noise from inside the A16 when powered so maybe that's why they asked me to send it back? Anyway you need to contact them. Sorry.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #11,195 of 16,105

If you have not already, email Stephen. He will probably tell you to reinstall the most recent firmware and then immediately do a full factory restore. Note that that will erase your presets, circular buffers, and listening rooms.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #11,197 of 16,105

R

I'd reinstall the firmware, and if that doesn't work, do the full factory reboot. If that doesn;t work, email James. Hope you saved your PRIRs and HPEQs to an SD card.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #11,198 of 16,105
Did you guys get the "error 001", or are you talking about trying to solve bugs in general?

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #11,200 of 16,105
Sounds like the stalling problem I had several times (no error 001 though).
Reinstalling FW helped most of the time, even without factory restore.

But i'd contact Stephen, he may be interested if you can recall what led to the error.

I have to say with the latest FW I had no stalling so far.

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #11,201 of 16,105
I ordered this eARC audio extractor:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001928796555.html
And the eARC audio extraction works. At least for the Dolby formats. My Samsung TV doesn't support DTS or multi channel PCM so I couldn't test that part.
I only could not get the HDMI input to work yet. (It should also be able to extract HD audio from the HDMI input so it could basically work as a HDMI audio video splitter.)
I tried again today and now I couldn't get eARC audio extraction to work anymore. The manual is pretty useless.
Probably I should power up my devices in some specific order, and have the "copy EDIT" switch in the proper setting at the proper moment.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #11,202 of 16,105
I tried again today and now I couldn't get eARC audio extraction to work anymore. The manual is pretty useless.
Probably I should power up my devices in some specific order, and have the "copy EDIT" switch in the proper setting at the proper moment.
They've made this stuff so complicated, you practically have to be an EE to make it work.

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #11,203 of 16,105
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

But nope, it looks like it's fried.

I'm still on firmware 1.81, not having wanted to disturb what was a nicely working "production" environment. I didn't upgrade my hardware so that motivation didn't exist. Also, the seeming complexity of "reference level calibration" didn't appear to have much benefit for my usage (maybe I didn't fully appreciate what it was for), since I'm mostly just using it as a 4-HDMI-input replacement for the HDMI-A8 (and its PRIR's) that also includes 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos support. All good enough for my needs.

I did try simply reinstalling the 1.81 firmware. Unfortunately that had no effect. Still stuck at main menu.

I guess I've got nothing to lose now, so next I'll next try a full factory reset. I'll probably wait until hearing from James, in case he wants me to try something or run some diagnostic steps for information gathering.

I've written to James but it's Sunday so I'll just wait for his reply hopefully sometime this week. I suspect I'll be returning it for repair. A few months back I'd asked James if the hardware upgrades were still available. He said they had run out of the HDMI boards and wouldn't have anything new until at least February. So as long as it looks like they're going to have my A16 back for repair, I might as well go ahead with the upgrade as well. There's no critical rush here.

In the meantime I will just move my HDMI-A8 temporarily back to where it used to live, to fill in for the A16. This will suffice for all non-Atmos audio, which is almost everything anyway. Should be perfectly fine, other than the inconvenience of having only one HDMI input into the A8. But pulling and inserting an HDMI cable as required is no big deal.

Jan 24, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #11,204 of 16,105
Jan 24, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #11,205 of 16,105
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

But nope, it looks like it's fried.

I'm still on firmware 1.81, not having wanted to disturb what was a nicely working "production" environment. I didn't upgrade my hardware so that motivation didn't exist. Also, the seeming complexity of "reference level calibration" didn't appear to have much benefit for my usage (maybe I didn't fully appreciate what it was for), since I'm mostly just using it as a 4-HDMI-input replacement for the HDMI-A8 (and its PRIR's) that also includes 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos support. All good enough for my needs.

I did try simply reinstalling the 1.81 firmware. Unfortunately that had no effect. Still stuck at main menu.

I guess I've got nothing to lose now, so next I'll next try a full factory reset. I'll probably wait until hearing from James, in case he wants me to try something or run some diagnostic steps for information gathering.

I've written to James but it's Sunday so I'll just wait for his reply hopefully sometime this week. I suspect I'll be returning it for repair. A few months back I'd asked James if the hardware upgrades were still available. He said they had run out of the HDMI boards and wouldn't have anything new until at least February. So as long as it looks like they're going to have my A16 back for repair, I might as well go ahead with the upgrade as well. There's no critical rush here.

In the meantime I will just move my HDMI-A8 temporarily back to where it used to live, to fill in for the A16. This will suffice for all non-Atmos audio, which is almost everything anyway. Should be perfectly fine, other than the inconvenience of having only one HDMI input into the A8. But pulling and inserting an HDMI cable as required is no big deal.
I find it hard to believe based on your initial recounting of things that the ATV could have caused a hardware failure on the Realiser. I just can't help but believe it rather screwed up the firmware/OS at some level. If inputs from an HDMI cable are "breaking" the A16, then its design is badly broken already. Never heard of a consumer product that could be broken in that way. I have to believe a comprehensive reboot will fix it. You also gave me a great reason to avoid the ATV (in addition to the crap regarding its latest firmware "upgrade"). You also might want to try to use an earlier version than 1.81 to see if you can get it up and running. If you do, you can then upgrade to the latest version if you want the added functionality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back