Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #11,221 of 16,105
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #11,222 of 16,105
Very good to know. The take away is to always be certain both presets are loaded before doing anything else on the Realiser.
Actually, I kick myself for not noticing the "reload" which was sitting in the status area normally containing "active" at the end of a normal "wait, loading, active" boot process just before the initial speaker map appears for the current in-effect preset. I should have seen it, but from the distance I was away from the screen I never noticed it. Perhaps it should be at least a different color, or flashing, or larger font (probably not possible) or something to really attract your attention.

It was really only by chance that I happened to be sitting much closer to the screen and looking intently at it that I happened to notice the usual pattern and timing of field values and their getting populated as expected was disrupted up in that upper-right corner. Something didn't look right. And I looked closer, and sure enough there was the totally unfamiliar and unexpected "reload".

The rest is now history.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #11,223 of 16,105
Actually, I kick myself for not noticing the "reload" which was sitting in the status area normally containing "active" at the end of a normal "wait, loading, active" boot process just before the initial speaker map appears for the current in-effect preset. I should have seen it, but from the distance I was away from the screen I never noticed it. Perhaps it should be at least a different color, or flashing, or larger font (probably not possible) or something to really attract your attention.

It was really only by chance that I happened to be sitting much closer to the screen and looking intently at it that I happened to notice the usual pattern and timing of field values and their getting populated as expected was disrupted up in that upper-right corner. Something didn't look right. And I looked closer, and sure enough there was the totally unfamiliar and unexpected "reload".

The rest is now history.
Yeah, I've trained myself to know I can't do ANYTHING until I see the A and B user profiles are loaded.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #11,224 of 16,105
A16.jpg
Finally upgraded to the "new" 1.98 firmware version, allowing me to use the balanced cable I bought years ago with the HD 800 .
Just wow. Highly recommended.
I was so close selling the A16 when the Coax SPDIF did not work but now I just use the HDMI of my Laptop with Tidal and I am very happy.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #11,227 of 16,105
Can anyone tell me what “deep dive” is : (it shows on Smyth web site)
https://smyth-research.com/product/a16-realiser-2u/

I saw on HCFR an excerpt from an email from James telling a full price buyer about his delayed delivery schedule :
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...-realiser-a16-voir-post-1-t30075654-2190.html
...The provisional date we have set for digital units to be ready is the end of February.
We our currently going through the process of restocking with slight amendments to the hardware, so there will be slightly longer time needed for tested...
I sure hope that somewhere sometime the kickstarters/pre-orders won’t be lied to anymore…!

They deleted the picture of Matthew on the web site :
https://smyth-research.com/about/
this one info is just for fun. We do need it sometimes !

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #11,228 of 16,105
Finally upgraded to the "new" 1.98 firmware version, allowing me to use the balanced cable I bought years ago with the HD 800 .
Just wow. Highly recommended.
I was so close selling the A16 when the Coax SPDIF did not work but now I just use the HDMI of my Laptop with Tidal and I am very happy.
Where did you buy the cable from? Is that a custom cable? I still haven't figured out an easy way to get a balanced cable to connect my HD 800 S with the Realiser.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #11,229 of 16,105
The French dealer wrote a typewritten manual for his customers (proprietary unfortunately) ; also updated recently. But the problem is that it is only 20 pages long and highly condensed. I gather that a beginners' walkthrough video/manual (A16 for "dummies", myself included...) like Eich1eeF suggested would be a real bonus. Even a written manual.
It could even be a joint effort...:raised_back_of_hand:

Edit : I had some fun trying to begin a Realiser mini manual for "dummies" in French some time ago and it looked like this. Don't laugh...
And of course you can access all video tutos from Smyth in pdf format : I admit it took a bit longer...
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...smyth-realiser-a16-voir-post-1-t30075654.html

It would be amazing if you could do it in English too.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #11,230 of 16,105
Where did you buy the cable from? Is that a custom cable? I still haven't figured out an easy way to get a balanced cable to connect my HD 800 S with the Realiser.
3CFB839F-F798-42EB-8A64-1A62B27C6A49.jpeg
Yes, it was custom made by Custom Cans but I bought it ”used” from a guy who sold his HD800 before getting the A16 and so there was no need for him to keep the cable.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #11,231 of 16,105
Yes, it was custom made by Custom Cans but I bought it ”used” from a guy who sold his HD800 before getting the A16 and so there was no need for him to keep the cable.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. A 3 m cable with 2 x 6.35 mm TS/Mono Straight Jacks costs 133.50 GBP. Is this the right connector for the Realiser?
For anyone interested this is the website: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/hd800-cables/hd800-balanced-cable.html

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #11,233 of 16,105
Jan 30, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #11,234 of 16,105
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. A 3 m cable with 2 x 6.35 mm TS/Mono Straight Jacks costs 133.50 GBP. Is this the right connector for the Realiser?
For anyone interested this is the website: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/hd800-cables/hd800-balanced-cable.html
Don't waste your money.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better
In many cases, voltage-balanced headphone amplifiers will produce more noise and more distortion than single-ended amplifiers of an identical design.
The reason for this is that two separate output amplifiers are required in a voltage-balanced amplifier, and each must drive one half of the transducer's load impedance.
The output noise will double because there are two amplifiers instead of one. The damping factor will degrade by a factor of 2 because both amplifiers contribute to the source impedance of the balanced amplifier (output impedance is doubled). Distortion will usually increase because each amplifier is required to drive half of the impedance that would be seen by an unbalanced amplifier. Power consumption will increase by a factor of 4 for a given output level (assuming the power supply voltage rails remain unchanged).

In fairness to balanced designs, I should point out that a balanced output can deliver 4 times the power for a given power supply voltage. However, this would only be necessary if the product was battery operated. The balanced output would offer no real advantage in an AC powered amplifier.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #11,235 of 16,105
I would agree that Benchmark really does know its stuff, and that balanced headphones are not worth the trouble. I use a Sennheiser 800s, and I am really pleased with the Realiser and the 800s.

I have had my Realiser since late-September. I have an extensive library on my NAS - 27TB - of SACDs, mostly classical, mostly Mch.

I am a user of JRiver with Realiser deployed in 5.1, which I have found optimal for the 5.0/1 recorded on SACD. My realistic choice was to do the path from the PC to the Realiser in HDMI or USB. USB wins hands down, although HDMI was decent.

I can wait awaile for Atmos, DTS-X or Auro3d to come to fruition.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back