Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 16, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #11,178 of 16,105
There is a web site in France called Edencast : https://www.edencast.fr/test-smyth-realiser-a16/
...launched ten years ago by a blind person, Edencast is a digital platform dedicated in particular to the autonomy of French-speaking visually impaired people through the enhancement of technical aids...

They published yesterday a podcast lasting 2h25' on the subject of the Realiser A16. It is unfortunately only in French and is divided into :
1. Unpacking
2. Detailed presentation of the device and its accessories
3. Localization exercise for each virtual speaker
4. Broadcasting of various extracts from films and TV series containing multi-channel soundtracks
5. Listening to several soundtracks produced by Dolby
6. Broadcast of a concert extract in 7.1
7. Conclusion

This is only for your information but I thought you might be interested in this wonderful endeavour.

Edit : description of the guy who did the podcast
...coming from the “Digital Native” Generation, I lost my sight as a child. Growing up in a family of engineers and other computer related professions, it was only natural that I became interested in them when I was six years old. Since then, I have become a technophile and it is in particular from this passion that I launched Edencast on April 25, 2010. On a professional level, I am a consultant and trainer specializing in technical aids adapted to visual disabilities; a profession that I first practiced as a freelance and then in a company afterwards...

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #11,180 of 16,105
So you either have XLR inputs on your A16 or plan to use XLR to RCA cables?
Not sure why I would need either XLR or RCA inputs going from either an ATV or a NVIDIA shield. Don't both video and audio go over HDMI from either unit?

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #11,181 of 16,105
Sorry, this pretty much a simple question but really do not know how to get past it.
So, after admittedly quite a long time I wanted to use my Smyth Realiser A16 for watching some video via Netflix on my iPad. Latest camera adapter, plus lightning power.
No sound.
FiiO M11 coax in, no sound.
Both tested on my Soul DAC & headphone amplifier. Works.
Also used the “Test” button on the A16, No problem at all.
A16 always says no SPDIF Signal or nor USB signal.
Also scrolled through many profiles. Re-loaded everything. Nothing. Nada.
Any ideas?

Do you have the A16 working with other sources/inputs? For example analog stereo input? Have you installed a different firmware version since the last time it worked?

Only things I can think of now, probably you know, but just in case that you don't:

Sorry, again it took me ages to try another approach. So far I now used my Windows 10 Laptop and connected it via HDMI. It worked. So I am back in business with the litte 2.0 measurement I did with @sander99 .
After having a little fun with Tidal I revisted three audio plays I bought which have 7.1 sound. Worked after finding the right setting in the blueray software player.
Now I was on fire and thought maybe try Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Disney +. While Netflix worked there was no success with Amazon Prime Video and Disney+. I even chatted with the Disney+ support but they are just not support any Dolby format on Windows 10. The strange thing is that they do Spatial Audio on my iPad with my Airpod Pro. Do they fear it is too easy to steal their films on a Windows machine? I tried it with the USB C Camera Adapter for the iPad Pro (4th gen) but it then transfers audio and video to the hdmi port, so I would need and additional screen.
I read somewhere you could get Amazon Prime working on Windows 10 with Dolby audio. Does someone of you have experience with this?

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #11,182 of 16,105
Not sure why I would need either XLR or RCA inputs going from either an ATV or a NVIDIA shield. Don't both video and audio go over HDMI from either unit?
I was referring to the Okto DAC 8 Pro. It has 8 XLR outs, plus USB in/out. It does not have an HDMI out. As things stand right now, the A16’s USB input has yet to be configured via firmware. The A16 Pro model, of course, is configured to accept XLR ins. Years ago when I owned a Blue Hawaii headphone amp I used cables with XLR on one end and RCA on the other to connect my DAC to the BH.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #11,183 of 16,105
I was referring to the Okto DAC 8 Pro. It has 8 XLR outs, plus USB in/out. It does not have an HDMI out. As things stand right now, the A16’s USB input has yet to be configured via firmware. The A16 Pro model, of course, is configured to accept XLR ins. Years ago when I owned a Blue Hawaii headphone amp I used cables with XLR on one end and RCA on the other to connect my DAC to the BH.
I'm not planning on inputting anything to the A16 from the Octo. The Octo is my use case for 5.1 channel sound input from my PC for when I want to use my speaker system. The remaining two channels of the OCTO will be input the SPIDF output of the A16 (converted to AES/EBU via a Canare transformer).

The A16 is my use case for when I am using headphones for multi channel audio or stereo. As mentioned above, its output will be passed via spidf to the Octo, and from there via XLR cable to my THX 789 for my two headphones. (HD800, and LCD X).

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #11,184 of 16,105
I'm not planning on inputting anything to the A16 from the Octo. The Octo is my use case for 5.1 channel sound input from my PC for when I want to use my speaker system. The remaining two channels of the OCTO will be input the SPIDF output of the A16 (converted to AES/EBU via a Canare transformer).

The A16 is my use case for when I am using headphones for multi channel audio or stereo. As mentioned above, its output will be passed via spidf to the Octo, and from there via XLR cable to my THX 789 for my two headphones. (HD800, and LCD X).
Thanks for the clarification. Makes perfect sense.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #11,185 of 16,105

First of all thank you for uploading your PRIR which I find excellent.:gs1000smile:
It's a great initiative to share the captures for those who cannot afford a quality home cinema installation. As far as I'm concerned, I find it very well balanced. The sound is well spatialized and the atmos speakers are well positioned above the head.
After lots of testing, I just replaced the front speakers (L C R) and the subwoofer with a PRIR that I had with the A8 and that I find just a little better.
I finally have a setup that I really like and that is consistent with my listening room, which is very important in my opinion. The dialogues of the front scene literally come out of my screen.
Thanks again. :beerchug:
It would be good to do a kind of survey to see which are the most used PRIRs and thus allow everyone to find the most optimal PRIR to achieve A16 which is a great product even if it is not yet fully finalized .
PS: I am french, sorry for the translation.

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #11,186 of 16,105
There are today 4 people that I can see on the dropbox. People who graciously donated their PRIRs issued from their Realiser A16. It is not a whole lot considering the number of followers on this forum and the +- 300 A16s in circulation.
But who am I to talk about the dropbox since I am personally not contributing to it in any way (I possess no personal PRIR).
No offense guys. Just wondering aloud…the why :slight_smile:

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #11,188 of 16,105
Any new shipments in the last couple months? Getting a little nervous.
I am not sure but what I understood from different pieces of information is that Smyth again is forced to a hardware change and adapting to that, or at least there is a hold up in hardware delivery (due to a big fire at some chip/board manufacturer that touches the entire pro audio business). Or something like that.

[Edit: On the bright side: maybe we will get 32 channel Atmos...]

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #11,189 of 16,105
There are today 4 people that I can see on the dropbox. People who graciously donated their PRIRs issued from their Realiser A16. It is not a whole lot considering the number of followers on this forum and the +- 300 A16s in circulation.
But who am I to talk about the dropbox since I am personally not contributing to it in any way (I possess no personal PRIR).
No offense guys. Just wondering aloud…the why :slight_smile:
My current PRIR is only 6.0 from an imperfect nearfield home setup, so I didn’t think there would be any interest.
I should have tried to make Atmos work, but didn’t have a lot of time.
I couldn't see a way to edit the metadata either? (change names, attach images etc.)

Attachments

• PRIR.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #11,190 of 16,105
I ordered this eARC audio extractor:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001928796555.html
And the eARC audio extraction works. At least for the Dolby formats. My Samsung TV doesn't support DTS or multi channel PCM so I couldn't test that part.
I only could not get the HDMI input to work yet. (It should also be able to extract HD audio from the HDMI input so it could basically work as a HDMI audio video splitter.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back