Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #10,681 of 15,986
Mark “Dr. AIX” Waldrep, the founder of AIX Records and a long-standing A8 user who has a successful live Kickstarter campaign running right now on a new book on streaming, downloaded music and personal audio has just commented in there that he will be covering HTRF technology and Smyth Research’s efforts in the area in his new book. More importantly he mentioned his studio is/was one of the best places to get a measurement in which I don’t doubt based on the sound quality of his label’s recordings. Not sure whether he offers the measurement service or not but those A8, A16 owners near LA may want to ask him perhaps.
I’m pretty sure that that option has long been off the table. Dr. Waldrep has also announced his retirement.

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #10,682 of 15,986
I know that the team at Smyth Research has never produced anything ahead of or close to schedule but I am hoping(against hope?) that they are able to get the Realiser Exchange, complete with CanJam PRIRs, online by Christmas.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #10,683 of 15,986
I know that the team at Smyth Research has never produced anything ahead of or close to schedule but I am hoping(against hope?) that they are able to get the Realiser Exchange, complete with CanJam PRIRs, online by Christmas.
For those of us with CanJam PRIRs even just getting those would be a great Christmas present. Really hope they are not lost or mixed up, it’s been a long time since they were taken.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #10,685 of 15,986
4-6 weeks.
In Smyth weeks this means 4-6 months... :dt880smile:
(just kidding...)

Concerning buzzes/white noise etc.: until now I had these errors only with FW 1.91. Then I downgraded to 1.81 and it was ok. Now with 1.98 so far none of these bugs. I hope it'll stay this way. So possibly (hopefully) really a FW issue.
I hope no HW issue and I don't need to send the unit back to Northern Ireland, concerning the nightmares others had with sending their units back and forth.
If we had no pandemic I'd fly over there with my Realiser in the hand luggage...

Still waiting for the new internal SD card, because I had the stalls, but so far also none of these with 1.98.
I told Stephen I'm not in a hurry because everything seems to run smooth at the moment.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #10,687 of 15,986
@audiohobbit

I apologize if I missed it somewhere, but did you ever figure out what the best files were for async measurements? Meaning which is the best file for premeasurement gain calibration and all that stuff? I might have some time to take another shot at my 5.1 async capture and was curious if there were certain gain files you found to be better than other, etc.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #10,688 of 15,986
I’ve made a simplified to-do list for resuming measurements with Realiser A16. You can see some of the settings for the A16 and angles for “look centre”.

Table PRIR.jpg

The first six PRIRs are the ones suggested by @audiohobbit. My subwoofer is connected to the audio system via a miniDSP. Previously, when I tried to capture the PRIR for SW, I muted the two speakers, but I don't know why I couldn’t hear the sweep for the SW either. If I connected the SW to line output 3-4 of A16, set up a new preset in miniDSP only for the SW with the LPF at 120 Hz, then I could hear the sweep for the SW.

For the PRIRs corresponding to the ceiling mounted speakers, I’ll use the top of a bookcase that is roughly 2 metres height. The connections and angles are shown in the attached table.

I hope that next week a colleague from the office can assist me so that I don't have to get up from the measuring position to change the required settings in A16 and move the set-top device.

Thanks again for helpful suggestions I received in this forum.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #10,689 of 15,986
I highly doubt the exchange will be up by Christmas at this point. Or maybe it’ll be up tomorrow. It’s hard to see where their priorities lie. New firmware, people shipping back units with issues, exchange, buyers outside of Kickstarter. They’ve 100% fallen behind on their 10 a week for Kickstarter backers. I should’ve received my shipping email at least. #329.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #10,690 of 15,986
Finally found time to install Apple TV 4K and listen to Tidal Dolby Atmos stuff as well as watch Netflix Films with Dolby Atmos. The 9.1.4 measurement in a recording studio paid 100% off for both. What a great experience! Thanks to calibration HD800 even has clean deep rumbling subbass.
Do you enjoy Tidal Atmos Music? I find it to be very much a gimmick... an afterthought.

Are you going to share your PRIRs?

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #10,693 of 15,986
Finally found time to install Apple TV 4K and listen to Tidal Dolby Atmos stuff as well as watch Netflix Films with Dolby Atmos. The 9.1.4 measurement in a recording studio paid 100% off for both. What a great experience! Thanks to calibration HD800 even has clean deep rumbling subbass.
It's a measurement you made yourself in a recording studio ?

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #10,694 of 15,986
I will be reviewing the A16 soon

This looks like a pretty long and hardcore review really , lots of functions

Has anyone been using it as a DAC for a desktop setup?
How about reviewing it as a control center for multichannel speaker based home theater.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #10,695 of 15,986
Yes, this magic device NEEDS more reviews and attention. But I’m afraid I agree that it’s a very difficult device to learn and it’s perfection is very elusive.

Just watch Zeos unboxing. He’s a very experienced YouTube reviewer and although brash and shouty, he’s very knowledgeable. I’m not sure he’s review will be positive. We’ll see.

Is the person who lent it to Zeos on this forum?

He's never been more hilarious. Obviously from a kickstarter. So who, fess up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back