Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 18, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #6,886 of 16,011
seems one person is reporting a success at asynchronous capture over on the French site... maybe we are close to having asynchronous capture ???
can you give us a link? thx

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #6,887 of 16,011
I wonder if anyone here has access to s copy of the manual that Gilles prepared. If so, then would be great if they could get permission from Gilles to put it in a Dropbox and post a link for people to download. Google Translate, I assume, would suffice for people like me who don’t read French.

I believe from what I read on the HCFR forum that the manual is a sort of proprietary document of 20 pages. When I asked Gilles by email whether this manual existed, he said : YES, absolutely, it does exist. He did not propose to HCFR or to me to send it over via pdf. And I am kind of embarrassed to demand the bloody thing (sorry for my French...)
That is all I know.

You Gene

PS : wonderful news about this browser thing!!!

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #6,888 of 16,011

But let me personally add: That they are working on it doesn't mean that it will be available soon. I think that is a lot of work to do and as they are very busy at the moment, I wouldn't expect it in the next one or two months.

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #6,890 of 16,011
But let me personally add: That they are working on it doesn't mean that it will be available soon. I think that is a lot of work to do and as they are very busy at the moment, I wouldn't expect it in the next one or two months.

I have a feeling that there are several individuals that might be beta testing various options for the A16... I know that Giles has the proper sweeps for the capture... and the manual is not being released that he wrote to the public...

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #6,891 of 16,011
Thanks. Put this throgh google translate because my french is too bad. having a lo to laugh ... :D
but I understand most of it.

As I already thought, I think the asynchronous measurement is already fully implemented, we just need the correct signals. Gilles seems to have a set of these (and I think, or nearly know, that other professionals may have as well)

What romain also says is what I already said: The room sizes of the actual listening room and the room that the PRIR was captured in shouldn't differ that much, otherwise you don't get your brain convinced that this is "real" what you're hearing.
Capturing a big cinema auditorium and listening to it at your small living room would not be satisfying.

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #6,892 of 16,011
What romain also says is what I already said: The room sizes of the actual listening room and the room that the PRIR was captured in shouldn't differ that much, otherwise you don't get your brain convinced that this is "real" what you're hearing.
Capturing a big cinema auditorium and listening to it at your small living room would not be satisfying.

yes and no... yes that you most likely won't want to listen to a large virtual room inside of a small living room.... but no, in that I have a friend that has a patio that overlooks a shipping channel with views out to 50 miles...
its amazing sitting on his patio and listening to music in a virtual room ... the visuals come into effect and that small virtual room turns into a 50 mile wide virtual room.. :)

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #6,893 of 16,011
has a patio that overlooks a shipping channel with views out to 50 miles...
wow. But how many people do have such rooms/views?

And Romain (and I also) are referring more to home cinema.

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #6,894 of 16,011
I have a feeling that there are several individuals that might be beta testing various options for the A16... I know that Giles has the proper sweeps for the capture... and the manual is not being released that he wrote to the public...

Worth mentioning also is the fact that all of those that received the A16 with the accompanying manual did not - to my knowledge - offer the manual for everyone's use. I do not believe for a second that they signed a "confidentiality agreement". That being said, Gilles is a very helpful guy, believing from the first in the quality of the A16 and the only one (?) to have been in northern Ireland visiting the Smyth brothers ; meaning he knows a lot about the A16...

Still, you are right, I am missing something.

You Gene

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #6,896 of 16,011
Worth mentioning also is the fact that all of those that received the A16 with the accompanying manual did not - to my knowledge - offer the manual for everyone's use. I do not believe for a second that they signed a "confidentiality agreement".
It's protected by copyright, like basically any other written document, so everyone who has a copy would need permission from Giles to distribute copies not for their personal use. I believe it's intended as a perk for people who buy directly from Giles.

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #6,899 of 16,011
I believe from what I read on the HCFR forum that the manual is a sort of proprietary document of 20 pages. When I asked Gilles by email whether this manual existed, he said : YES, absolutely, it does exist. He did not propose to HCFR or to me to send it over via pdf. And I am kind of embarrassed to demand the bloody thing (sorry for my French...)
That is all I know.

You Gene

Thanks and careful with that axe!

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #6,900 of 16,011
On the french forum, "Gilles preorder" #37 has his unit already on the way (or maybe he even got it now). Gilles sends units following the order of those who paid it fully (since the final payment was asked a while after the order was made, some early in the preorder list may have paid later than others and therefore may get their unit eventually later). If Gilles already shipped over 30 units, added to around 80 KS backers and something like 10 full price buyers or more, it means that at least 120 units have been shipped already in 9-10 weeks. It would concur with audiohobbit's quote of James Smyth when he says "we have now tested over 150 systems and counting"
I guess Gilles' list of preorder may run dry soon (i don't know how many preorders he got, but i don't think it reaches 100 or so) which would then make more units to send to backers.
It's a pity that James doesn't inform us about how the number of units shipped, but it's already very good that he at last answered about Brexit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back