Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 19, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #6,916 of 15,987
There seems to be no way to save a room to separate memory.
You can copy them to SD card, and from there to your pc.
Edit: oh no, sorry I was confused with PRIRs, rooms are another matter (I think)...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #6,917 of 15,987
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #6,922 of 15,987
no... its 3x3.... look center, look left and look right... with each sweeping L then R then C...
This is confusing. It's 3x L R C Sub SL SR, you can even see this in the dropbox preview window.
I have an Oppo too, streaming from my Synology NAS works fine, I'll try playing on the USB port later...

Edit: USB works too (Oppo 203), I have no clue what's happening...can somebody else please try to play one of the files on their system?

Attachments

• Screenshot2.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #6,925 of 15,987
I can not manage to play the file except downmixed to stereo. But it seems to contain 3 x 6 sweeps allright, except I could not hear the sub sweep, but a pause instead (maybe the lower part of the sub sweep was there but I couldn't hear it).
@Dixter: are you sure that is not what's happening in your case (for whatever reason): downmix to stereo? And maybe dolby prologic being applied afterwards? The latter could explain that you do get a sweep in the center, but the rear L and R sweeps are going to L and R front (I assume you mean fronts with L and R).

If @SobiC can hear the 3 x 6 sweeps correctly then I assume the file is ok but it is just a matter of how to play it back correctly.
(I have never had 5.1 channel flac or wav files before, I have to figure out first how to play them.)

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #6,926 of 15,987
I can not manage to play the file except downmixed to stereo. But it seems to contain 3 x 6 sweeps allright, except I could not hear the sub sweep, but a pause instead (maybe the lower part of the sub sweep was there but I couldn't hear it).
@Dixter: are you sure that is not what's happening in your case (for whatever reason): downmix to stereo? And maybe dolby prologic being applied afterwards? The latter could explain that you do get a sweep in the center, but the rear L and R sweeps are going to L and R front (I assume you mean fronts with L and R).

If @SobiC can hear the 3 x 6 sweeps correctly then I assume the file is ok but it is just a matter of how to play it back correctly.
(I have never had 5.1 channel flac or wav files before, I have to figure out first how to play them.)
Thanks! The LFE signal is 10dB below the other channels (-5.5dBFS - this is what the Realiser gave me at full volume)
I've converted the WAV to MP4 (HE-AAC), maybe this is more pleasing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jr8886tm7tr8vi/SMYTH Realiser - 5.1 Longsweep 30deg.mp4?dl=0

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #6,927 of 15,987
Thanks! The LFE signal is 10dB below the other channels (-5.5dBFS - this is what the Realiser gave me at full volume)
I've converted the WAV to MP4 (HE-AAC), maybe this is more pleasing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jr8886tm7tr8vi/SMYTH Realiser - 5.1 Longsweep 30deg.mp4?dl=0

I have a feeling its on my equipment that is causing the issue... got too many people in the house now wanting to watch shows... so I can't get to it right now... will let you all know how it goes... thanks for the files and the help here...

Oct 19, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #6,928 of 15,987
Hi Everyone,

I am new to head-fi, but have been monitoring this thread for awhile and have a question. I finished initial set up of my realiser last night, using the Atmos mix of Godzilla: King of Monsters as a test case. I noticed something curious. After I got the volume to an acceptable level (90 with volume limit turned off) I noticed my volume would fluctuate seemingly for every scene, going from 90 to 86 to 82 to 84. Am I missing something? Does not happen with PCM audio.

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #6,929 of 15,987

Try using JRiver.

Oct 19, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #6,930 of 15,987
I just loaded both file formats.. FLAC and WAv... both work the same way on the USB input of the OPPO.... it sweeps three speakers only... L, R, C ???
I've just tried playing back the flac on my Cambridge CXUHD, which is essentially a re-branded Oppo 203. I'm playing back the file from a USB hard drive using the Oppo media control app, and I'm getting sound on all speakers, including the surrounds. For me, that's even the re-encoded Dolby or DTS (can't remember which) sound via coax, so it most certainly should work on HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back