Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 16, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #6,856 of 16,011
in that you have your PRIRs.
and those are only 5.1/7.1. Adding speakers from the factory PRIRs is not really the solution since they have a totally different timbre, and even location could be off, because measured with different (dummy) ears.

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #6,857 of 16,011
Hello everyone,

I am new here and trawling through a couple of web sites : head-fi of course, HCFR, hi-fi forum and avsforum. I bought my A16 with Gilles Gérin last October 2018.

Suppose that I receive this A16 today - which I certainly did not - what am I supposed to do after the unpacking??? Read 130 pages of manual, read all the 9 tutos which I surmise none of you did.

Any hints on the particular chronology of the “to-dos” after the unpacking? Apart from the quickstart in the manual which is not exactly helpful...

Thank you all for whatever advice I receive!!! and thanks specifically to the tech-savvy, because we need you guys/girls…or whatever.

You Gene

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #6,858 of 16,011
Suppose that I receive this A16 today - which I certainly did not - what am I supposed to do after the unpacking??? Read 130 pages of manual, read all the 9 tutos which I surmise none of you did.

I'm probably six week or so from getting my A16 (#131), but I've skimmed the manual and watched the vids. With a device this complex, I don't think you are going to be able to skip the manual, jump right in, and get good results. I'm expecting to need to give the manual a close reading once I have my A16. (With all the firmware updates happening, I decided it did not make much sense to read it in detail yet.)

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #6,860 of 16,011
this last firmware update (1.75) was very helpful for my situation. i was having to constantly switch back and forth between presets to get the audio to play from my Nvidia Shield when I would switch between Netflix, Youtube, etc. after the 1.70 firmware. now the audio plays through the assigned preset (after a short 2-3 second delay) as it should.

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #6,861 of 16,011
Hello everyone,

I am new here and trawling through a couple of web sites : head-fi of course, HCFR, hi-fi forum and avsforum. I bought my A16 with Gilles Gérin last October 2018.

Any hints on the particular chronology of the “to-dos” after the unpacking? Apart from the quickstart in the manual which is not exactly helpful...

Thank you all for whatever advice I receive!!! and thanks specifically to the tech-savvy, because we need you guys/girls…or whatever.

You Gene

Haha, you’ll actually want to do all the manual reading and tutorial watching before you receive the unit, so you can get going on day 1. Otherwise it’s a pretty long learning curve.

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #6,862 of 16,011
Haha, you’ll actually want to do all the manual reading and tutorial watching before you receive the unit, so you can get going on day 1. Otherwise it’s a pretty long learning curve.
Except that they will probably/eventually have to do manual updates in spots after a number of firmware upgrades.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #6,863 of 16,011
Every modern AVR is as complex or more complex than the A16 is by now. Often their manuals have more pages also.
Compared to the A8 the A16s UI is relatively straightforward and a huge step ahead.

Installed the new FW yesterday. The SVS Bass still introduces bad distortions. The other bass and treble settings seem to work without distortions, I think if I find some time I will measure the output FR with these functions.

I tested CD and mp3 playing via HDMI (2ch PCM) from the Oppo 103: When I started the first mp3 it took a few seconds with silence but after that everything worked perfectly!
No stutter, no mute time, no swallowing of track beginnings anymore!
Live CDs play seamless now. mp3s from Live CDs still have a slight pause between the tracks but I think this has to do with the mp3 and or the player, not the Realiser.

So I'm really happy about this, excellent work Smyth and MDS!

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #6,864 of 16,011

I hear you. You have got a point : no pain, no gain…

I will read the damned manual. Can I do it from page 1 onwards or do you have a particular chronology to follow up.

According to a pdf from Stephen Smyth from October 2017 entitled “Realiser A16 Remote Control User Interface Overview” :

...quote " the A16 user interface is divided into 6 distinct modes of operation : 1. Setup of the default settings of the system, 2. File handling, 3. operation of personalisation measurements, 4. Building virtual sound rooms for listening over headphones, 5. configuring the AV mode for listening over loudsdpeakers and 6. Real time listening to presets that are configured for virtual sound room or AV listening " unquote.... He then rambles on about Settings, Sound rooms settings, Apps, Virtual listening rooms and Files. It is only about 4 pages long.

And when he mentions 6 modes of operations, I wonder if you are to consider it from a chronological point of view or as a general summary of what the A16 is made of.

I know that I am obsessed with chronology, but without a proper game plan, how are we supposed to go from here to there.

You Gene

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #6,865 of 16,011
Just read the manual starting page 1... no you can start p. 11 chapter 2. As long as you don't have the A16 you can skip safety precautions and FW-update.
FW-update is always explained in the specific instructions for the new FW so not necessary to read this at all in the manual.
The manual starts with a basic explanation what the Realiser is all about.
Then watch the videos. You can also start watching the videos. Maybe that's easier for you.

Can't understand that s.o. is so reluctant reading the manual. (ok, I'm an engineer...)

If you'd live in my vicinity I would give you (and a friend of mine with an A16) a short introduction/tutorial but in english I'd have some problems and via text it's also difficult.

First thing after unpacking would be checking the FW.

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #6,866 of 16,011
Just read the manual starting page 1... no you can start p. 11 chapter 2. As long as you don't have the A16 you can skip safety precautions and FW-update.
FW-update is always explained in the specific instructions for the new FW so not necessary to read this at all in the manual.
The manual starts with a basic explanation what the Realiser is all about.
Then watch the videos. You can also start watching the videos. Maybe that's easier for you.

Can't understand that s.o. is so reluctant reading the manual. (ok, I'm an engineer...)

If you'd live in my vicinity I would give you (and a friend of mine with an A16) a short introduction/tutorial but in english I'd have some problems and via text it's also difficult.

First thing after unpacking would be checking the FW.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I am more into books, detectives, science fiction in French and in English ; taking up genealogy as well. Tech is not my forte.

But thank you for taking me seriously ; I bet I am not the only one in this situation. I will begin as you say.

You Gene

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #6,867 of 16,011
But you basically know what the Realiser is all about and how it basically works?

When do you expect to get your A16? As I read, Giles provides a short manual in french.

To all others, concerning HDMI audio pass-through: As I understand it you can either have the audio extracted and SVS processed or sent to analogue via AV mode, or passed through to the HDMI output.
I think that's not what you wanted? Sounds relatively useless to me. Especially so when the A16 has to stay turned on when passing through.
The other thing is Hybrid mode but that means analog multichannel out + SVS processing.
I think most of you want SVS processing plus HDMI out of the original bitstream?

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #6,868 of 16,011
But you basically know what the Realiser is all about and how it basically works?

When do you expect to get your A16? As I read, Giles provides a short manual in french.

To all others, concerning HDMI audio pass-through: As I understand it you can either have the audio extracted and SVS processed or sent to analogue via AV mode, or passed through to the HDMI output.
I think that's not what you wanted? Sounds relatively useless to me. Especially so when the A16 has to stay turned on when passing through.
The other thing is Hybrid mode but that means analog multichannel out + SVS processing.
I think most of you want SVS processing plus HDMI out of the original bitstream?

No worry there. I bought the A16 last October 2018. I have at least 6 to 12 months to get there. I have some basic knowledge of the Realiser A16 thanks to the HCFR podcast with Stephen Smyth in 2016 and some technical information from Gilles on a regular basis. I also made a pdf from the 9 tutos (see HCFR first page) to enable me to read them at leisure at my desk. But making them is definitely not understanding them unfortunately.

Gilles manual is about 20 pages from what I hear.

Back to reading the manual...and chin up as they say!

You Gene

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #6,869 of 16,011
When kickstarter, I asked Stephen to easily change input on the A16.
He told me then that it was enough to define in each Preset a different entry.
Unfortunately the first FW did not offer such a possibility.
Contacted, Stephen promised to put it in place during a MAJ.
The FW 1.75 finally brings such a solution.

1. Disable in "Menu" the choice of the audio output.
2. in each preset specify the desired output.
3. The input choice is then made in the "Speaker Map" by simply changing the Preset (Adj +, Adj): D

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #6,870 of 16,011
I'd like it all simultaniously: SVS (for 2 users) + multichannel analog out + original bitstream over HDMI. (But one question is: what about volume control since there are only 2 volume knobs? Maybe then no volume control but full line level on multichannel analog outputs? With of course a menu setting to prevent this for people who have directly connected power amps or active speakers without volume control. Alternatively maybe Smyth could assign buttons for a 3rd volume control.)

Edit: actually I don't think anyone would ever need to use multi channel analog out and HDMI bitstream at the same time, but I think passing through HDMI bitstream should be rather trivial and no extra trouble to implement switching it on in various modes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back