Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 21, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #5,791 of 16,011
5776_1530650217_thumb.jpg

He was a bit surprised that he did not get serial #1 like he thought he would... wonder where number 1 will end up now...

Is this what you are looking for ?
Found the image here, But if this is the commercial version of the 2U then it was used for demo purposes at the shows.
https://www.midifan.com/modulenews-detailview-30141.htm?fromM=1

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #5,793 of 16,011
I hope the manual will be online tomorrow. Friday early morning I'll sit 5hrs in 3 trains and will have plenty of time to read it.

You and I both. I’d really like to capture a PRIR to see how much better it sounds than the generic ones.

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #5,795 of 16,011
Maybe the A8 manual will give some hints. p. 30ff

Edit:
The PRIR measurement is initiated with the SPK-Key and I see this key also on the remote of the A16.
Beforehand you'll have to do a level calibration with the CAL-Key.
There you have to switch speakers on or off that should or should not be measured, then there's the level calibration to see if the speakers have the right volume for the PRIR process (you'll have to have the mics in your ears and sit on your chair already).
After that the PRIR measurement starts by pressing SPK-Key.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #5,796 of 16,011
Maybe the A8 manual will give some hints. p. 30ff

Edit:
The PRIR measurement is initiated with the SPK-Key and I see this key also on the remote of the A16.
Beforehand you'll have to do a level calibration with the CAL-Key.
There you have to switch speakers on or off that should or should not be measured, then there's the level calibration to see if the speakers have the right volume for the PRIR process (you'll have to have the mics in your ears and sit on your chair already).
After that the PRIR measurement starts by pressing SPK-Key.

I did all of that yesterday. If I choose async mode (which I assumed I’d need since I’m measuring a speaker at a time) I get to a screen where it says “waiting for input” and there’s no way to proceed. If I try the route to measure all of the speakers at one which won’t work for my setup in general because of my analog input situation, it does show on the screen that it’s outputting sweeps, yet no sound is played through the receiver at all.

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #5,798 of 16,011
I think async mode may refer to the measuring process with the disc, rather than a direct connection via analog outs.
So maybe you try sync mode instead!

I did, but it doesn’t output any sound and I can’t figure out how to measure a speaker at a time using that mode.

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #5,800 of 16,011
I did all of that yesterday. If I choose async mode (which I assumed I’d need since I’m measuring a speaker at a time) I get to a screen where it says “waiting for input” and there’s no way to proceed. If I try the route to measure all of the speakers at one which won’t work for my setup in general because of my analog input situation, it does show on the screen that it’s outputting sweeps, yet no sound is played through the receiver at all.

Sorry, maybe a dumb question, but how exactly are you trying to measure the speakers? Are you only selecting a maximum of two channels at a time through the A16 as well (not just the cables)? If not, it will give you the waiting message because it assumes you are doing more speakers than cables you have (two) hooked up. If you are not doing this, you need to make it so that you are only trying to measure no more than two channels, or else it will just keep trying to send a signal to nothing.

On the A8 at least, before each set of sweeps, you have the option to select 1 through 8 channels to measure at a time. You would do that by just pressing the various channels on the remote to turn them on or off, and it would show in both the UI as well as the channel lights. There's also an option that needs to be enabled that allows you to keep doing various measurements until you are ready to finalize. Otherwise, after each set of measurements, it will act as though that is the PRIR you want to keep. With the A8, you need to select Menu > SPK. and set finalize at end to "NO" until you are ready to finalize.

I don't know what the new modes are called in the A16, but there was no "Async" mode in the A8. The most basic, and most versatile was called "ALL", which allowed you to capture all speakers at once, or one at a time (or any combination up to 7.1).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #5,801 of 16,011
How did you connect the A16 to the AVR?

2 channel analog out from the 1-2 analog connector on the A16 to a 2 channel analog in on the receiver.

Sorry, maybe a dumb question, but how exactly are you trying to measure the speakers? Are you only selecting a maximum of two channels at a time through the A16 as well (not just the cables)? If not, it will give you the waiting message because it assumes you are doing more speakers than cables you have (two) hooked up. If you are not doing this, you need to make it so that you are only trying to measure no more than two channels, or else it will just keep trying to send a signal to nothing.

On the A8 at least, before each set of sweeps, you have the option to select 1 through 8 channels to measure at a time. You would do that by just pressing the various channels on the remote to turn them on or off, and it would show in both the UI as well as the channel lights. There's also an option that needs to be enabled that allows you to keep doing various measurements until you are ready to finalize. Otherwise, after each set of measurements, it will act as though that is the PRIR you want to keep. With the A8, you need to select Menu > SPK. and set finalize at end to "NO" until you are ready to finalize.

I don't know what the new modes are called in the A16, but there was no "Async" mode in the A8. The most basic, and most versatile was called "ALL", which allowed you to capture all speakers at once, or one at a time (or any combination up to 7.1).

No it’s not a dumb question. This is where the hang up is I think. There is a menu to select which speakers I’m trying to measure. It’s probably messed up because I picked all of the ones for a 5.1 setup that I wanted to measure. I’m assuming I have to toggle on in the settings only the speaker I want to measure? Assuming that works, what I don’t know how to do is to tell the system that I don’t want the PRIR to save automatically and that I want to measure individual speakers until I tell it I’m done and I want the PRIR saved.

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #5,802 of 16,011
Come on guys, don't you remember serial number #1 was promised to dsperber?
To be honest, I'm not optimistic about this, despite their generous offer and "gentleman's handshake" back at CanJam SoCal April 2018.

A few weeks ago after they emailed everyone that shipping would soon begin, I emailed James reminding him about this subject. Being a pre-order rather than a KS'r and already having two A8's I wasn't in any rush to receive my A16 2U (although I was actually looking forward to replacing my analog-only A8 with an HDMI-enabled A16). So I really didn't expect to get one early. But it would have been nice to know that the actual production A16 #0001 (with a real production serial number tag like my A8 has) would be held aside for me, eventually shipping out when my turn actually came up. I still have not heard back, hence my pessimism that this will truly come to pass.

As far as that photo of a 2U labeled as "#1" hand-written on the white tape label, all of the demo prototype units (of both headstand and 2U) which were in use at the SoCal show were similarly identified. They had blank white tape labels with marker ID's, #1 and #2. I am discounting these and expect them to be kept by Smyth for ongoing demo's.

But we shall see.

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #5,805 of 16,011
@audiohobbit I have info that the manual should be on line within the next few hours.... hope the info is correct... wink wink... :wink: :wink:
Let's keep fingers crossed !! Too bad my holidays are over and i'm going back to work tomorrow, i won't have much time to read it (though anyway, till i receive my unit, i will have a lot of time to read the manual several times !!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back