Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 21, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #5,777 of 15,991
Yes, please!

It will just be using the generic speakers the A16 ships with, but it will at least give people an idea of how the process works. I’ll try and make one tonight.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #5,779 of 15,991
@Got the Shakes
The two generic rooms that are preloaded in the A16 are what kind of configuration ? Only 7.1 ? Atmos 7.1.4 or Atmos 9.1.6 ?

9.1.6, 7.1.4, 7.1, and 2.0. You can take the preloaded speakers and create a room in just about any configuration you want though.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #5,780 of 15,991
will be interesting to see if the 7.1 BBC setup sounds differently than a 5.1 BBC setup... I would think they would sound the same with 5.1 material as each would play back the same speakers... I guess we will find out...

They won't sound the same through 7.1 as they would through 5.1, because the speaker placement for the sides should be completely different. Many people put 5.1 surrounds at a 90 degree angle, but that's usually wrong (it's correct for 7.1), and mainly for space saving reasons. The best spot for 5.1 surrounds is between 110 degrees and 150 (sometimes even 180 depending on the home) degrees and the mixes usually already take this into account.

And from my own anecdotal experience, that's the way it actually is, because whenever I would try playing 5.1 content through a 7.1 PRIR, it always sounded off, but then when played through my 5.1 PRIR, it sounded accurate.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #5,781 of 15,991
It will just be using the generic speakers the A16 ships with, but it will at least give people an idea of how the process works. I’ll try and make one tonight.

Start as basic as possible if you can.
Switch it on and guide as through the menus you have discovered so far. That would be awesome.

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #5,782 of 15,991
The KS backer #1 received his A16 this morning (form factor : 2U) and he shared pictures of the unboxing on the French forum homecinema-fr.com

I found member Thiebaud's comments to be compelling :

sebbs a écrit:Le carton ne paie pas de mine, il est neutre.

Effectivement, le carton fait cheap, accentué par la disposition des éléments à l'intérieur et la qualité des accessoires. On sent qu'ils ont envoyé tout ça à l'arrache, ça fait vraiment amateur.
Je crois qu'il faut le prendre ainsi, Smyth Research est une toute petite boutique, capable du meilleur en matière d'innovation, mais aussi du moins bon en matière d'industrialisation, de production, de marketing, de packaging, etc.
Je croise sincèrement les doigts pour que l'écoute soit à la hauteur de tes attentes !
9.1.6, 7.1.4, 7.1, and 2.0. You can take the preloaded speakers and create a room in just about any configuration you want though.

Does that mean you can tweak Room size measurements, as well as the distances of all the speakers to the sweet spot, including how they're angled in relation to that sweet spot?

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #5,783 of 15,991

Effectivement, le carton fait cheap, accentué par la disposition des éléments à l'intérieur et la qualité des accessoires. On sent qu'ils ont envoyé tout ça à l'arrache, ça fait vraiment amateur.
Je crois qu'il faut le prendre ainsi, Smyth Research est une toute petite boutique, capable du meilleur en matière d'innovation, mais aussi du moins bon en matière d'industrialisation, de production, de marketing, de packaging, etc.
Je croise sincèrement les doigts pour que l'écoute soit à la hauteur de tes attentes !

Does that mean you can tweak Room size measurements, as well as the distances of all the speakers to the sweet spot, including how they're angled in relation to that sweet spot?

I’m not 100% sure about moving the speakers around in virtual space. What I meant was that because the A16 came preloaded with a 16 channel setup, you can basically use those speakers to make a setup with any number of channels below that. You could make a 4.0 setup for example. Or if you wanted a 7.1.2 room. You pick the number of channels you want and the configuration you want them in. Then you can pick any speaker that has been measured by the system to fill out that setup. Measured a center channel at home? You could use that center channel in the new virtual room and then use the speakers from the BBC room to fill it out the rest of the channels. You could take fronts and rears from one set of speakers, combine them with sides from another set, and the use the center channel from a third set. I’m not if if I’m explain that well or not.

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #5,784 of 15,991

Translation to English?

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,785 of 15,991
Aug 21, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #5,786 of 15,991

Translation to English?

sebbs wrote: The cardboard doesn't look good, it's neutral.

Indeed, cardboard is cheap, accentuated by the layout of the elements inside and the quality of the accessories. You can feel that they sent all this stuff over and over again, it looks really amateurish.
I think we have to take it that way, Smyth Research is a very small shop, capable of the best in terms of innovation, but also the least good in terms of industrialisation, production, marketing, packaging, etc.
I sincerely cross my fingers to make sure that the listening is up to your expectations!

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #5,787 of 15,991
sebbs wrote: The cardboard doesn't look good, it's neutral.

Indeed, cardboard is cheap, accentuated by the layout of the elements inside and the quality of the accessories. You can feel that they sent all this stuff over and over again, it looks really amateurish.
I think we have to take it that way, Smyth Research is a very small shop, capable of the best in terms of innovation, but also the least good in terms of industrialisation, production, marketing, packaging, etc.
I sincerely cross my fingers to make sure that the listening is up to your expectations!

He’s right about the packaging. Mine was in a generic brown box with no markings on it at all besides the shipping label.

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #5,788 of 15,991
I’m not 100% sure about moving the speakers around in virtual space. What I meant was that because the A16 came preloaded with a 16 channel setup, you can basically use those speakers to make a setup with any number of channels below that. You could make a 4.0 setup for example. Or if you wanted a 7.1.2 room. You pick the number of channels you want and the configuration you want them in. Then you can pick any speaker that has been measured by the system to fill out that setup. Measured a center channel at home? You could use that center channel in the new virtual room and then use the speakers from the BBC room to fill it out the rest of the channels. You could take fronts and rears from one set of speakers, combine them with sides from another set, and the use the center channel from a third set. I’m not if if I’m explain that well or not.

I think your explanation is pretty clear now : One can swap or alternate diverse virtual speakers in virtually fixed positions within different room/channel formations, but it is not clear that one can alter speaker distances, or angles, or room sizes in the same way. Thanks for clarifying that.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #5,789 of 15,991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back