Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 20, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #5,671 of 15,992
I didn't buy the A16 for it's 16 speaker facility; I wonder how much I would use that, I have no such content. I bought the A16 for what realism it could provide as a 2 speaker setup, mimicking the top speaker and top rooms I could find. I've also had a full set up done for me at CanJam London. I expect the 16 speaker system that was captured will be reconfigurable either automatically or manually to a 2 speaker setup or a 5.1 dependent on what my blu ray player is using through my hdmi connection

When listening to content with the A16, you can cycle through 1 of 16 presets of speakers. If you want to use a stereo speaker setup all you have to do is select one that you’ve made. Same with 5.1. From what I can tell using it last night the Realiser will not select for you. It doesn’t see that the signal coming in is and automatically select one of you setups with 2 speakers. It defaults to whatever the last preset you were using was.

Each preset has a spot to pick which room to use for Dolby, DTS:X (even though it can’t decide it yet), and PCM content. So for example you could have your preset #1 use a 9.1.6 room if it detects a Dolby signal, but if it’s being fed PCM you can have that preset use a 7.1 room.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #5,672 of 15,992
When listening to content with the A16, you can cycle through 1 of 16 presets of speakers. If you want to use a stereo speaker setup all you have to do is select one that you’ve made. Same with 5.1. From what I can tell using it last night the Realiser will not select for you. It doesn’t see that the signal coming in is and automatically select one of you setups with 2 speakers. It defaults to whatever the last preset you were using was.
In other words, if you want to listen to stereo for that room you did a PRIR on, you have to make a stereo PRIR, in addition to the 7.1, the 5.1, the ATMOS, the DTS-X, and the 3D Auro PRIRS--all for the same room.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #5,673 of 15,992
In other words, if you want to listen to stereo for that room you did a PRIR on, you have to make a stereo PRIR, in addition to the 7.1, the 5.1, the ATMOS, the DTS-X, and the 3D Auro PRIRS--all for the same room.

Well you can use a 16 speaker room to listen to stereo as only the fronts will be active. It if you have an awesome 2 channel setup that you’ve captured there doesn’t seem to be a way to tell the A16 that every time it’s being fed a 2 channel signal to always automatically select that 2 channel setup. I edited my post above to add a bit more detail as to how presets work. I think getting presets setup up how a user wants is going to be pretty key to a good experience with the A16. There’s a lot going on there as you can assign different HPEQ to different presets so you can have presets specifically for different pairs of headphones, etc.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #5,674 of 15,992
No. I'm sure that's not the case, because it isn't with the A8.
If you have one room with for example 7.1 speakers and you play only stereo then it uses only the two L/R front speakers for that signal.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #5,675 of 15,992
No. I'm sure that's not the case, because it isn't with the A8.
If you have one room with for example 7.1 speakers and you play only stereo then it uses only the two L/R front speakers for that signal.

You can on the A16 as well. What I was trying to say is that you can’t set it to auto switch to a 2.0 room when playing stereo content. It will only use fronts in any setup when playing stereo content, but if you have a high end 2.0 setup you’ve captured and want to use when listening to 2 channel stuff, you need to manually select that room before or when your content is playing.

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #5,676 of 15,992
Yes I think I understood what you meant, but was not sure if phoenix understood.
So if you have only one PRIR of a 5.1 or 7.1 or x.y, as long as the x contains at least 2 front speakers then a stereo signal will be played by those two alone (if you don't upmix it).
If you have another PRIR of a room that sounded better in stereo than you have to manually switcht to a preset with this PRIR.

It's the same with the A8: A preset consists of a PRIR and a HPEQ, basically.

What's new is that you the A16 seems to be able to switch rooms based on Atmos or DTS-X (or Auro?). Which makes sense because they can have different LS-setups.

Still waiting for the long expected manual...

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #5,677 of 15,992
Yes I think I understood what you meant, but was not sure if phoenix understood.
So if you have only one PRIR of a 5.1 or 7.1 or x.y, as long as the x contains at least 2 front speakers then a stereo signal will be played by those two alone (if you don't upmix it).
If you have another PRIR of a room that sounded better in stereo than you have to manually switcht to a preset with this PRIR.

It's the same with the A8: A preset consists of a PRIR and a HPEQ, basically.

What's new is that you the A16 seems to be able to switch rooms based on Atmos or DTS-X (or Auro?). Which makes sense because they can have different LS-setups.

Still waiting for the long expected manual...

You’re correct with the A16 and presets. Presets have four things that you can customize from what I’ve found. You can individually set rooms for a Dolby stream, DTS:X stream, and PCM stream. You can also apply a HPEQ to the preset. There may be more that’s customizable, but that’s about all I could figure out without having a manual.

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #5,678 of 15,992
Well I ran into problem #1. The supplied power cable is the one for the UK. I’m in the US so that not ideal.

Edit: Solved that problem using the power cable from the PSVR.

Edit 2: My A16 arrived with firmware 0.86 on it. Have the MicroSD card in the Realiser and it found the firmware and is currently authenticating it.

I was actually wondering if a simple cable swap like that would do the trick, but I never risked it with mine. I just bought a plug adapter for it since the power supply itself is supposed to be universal. Would certainly make things a lot easier for plugging and unplugging, but the end of the A8 plug has a fuse in it, so...

You’re correct with the A16 and presets. Presets have four things that you can customize from what I’ve found. You can individually set rooms for a Dolby stream, DTS:X stream, and PCM stream. You can also apply a HPEQ to the preset. There may be more that’s customizable, but that’s about all I could figure out without having a manual.

Not the same unit of course, but with the A8 you could also adjust the bass, treble and relative volume, delay and distance per channel, per preset. With the A8 you would just already be on a preset, then select Menu > then select a channel to adjust.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #5,679 of 15,992
I was actually wondering if a simple cable swap like that would do the trick, but I never risked it with mine. I just bought a plug adapter for it since the power supply itself is supposed to be universal. Would certainly make things a lot easier for plugging and unplugging, but the end of the A8 plug has a fuse in it, so...

It worked fine so far. I though about buying an adapter, and may still do so but I could find one at a reasonable price in may area to grab yesterday and I want to get things up and running. I may just snag an adapter off of Amazon and use the cable it shipped with. I never actually looked to see if the A16 cable has a fuse in it or not.

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #5,680 of 15,992
What email address is being used when they ask you to confirm your mailing address? Who from Smyth is sending out the requests to confirm address?

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #5,681 of 15,992
There may be more that’s customizable, but that’s about all I could figure out without having a manual.
I still find it hard to believe that they do not send it with a manual. I applaud that they have started sending the first units out, but why on earth is the user manual not ready after all this time?
And just in case you wonder if I am the person to say something about manuals, just check this link out to the Pilates manuals I have written: https://www.amazon.com/Reiner-Grootenhuis/e/B014C4C3B8?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1566309751&sr=8-1
The last ones had both +300 pages. So I know it is hard, but it is doable.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #5,682 of 15,992
What email address is being used when they ask you to confirm your mailing address? Who from Smyth is sending out the requests to confirm address?

Mine may have been a bit different since I paid the difference on my preorder to get it quicker, it everything seemed to come from James. That’s also who I was chatting with on Facebook to get everything squared away.

I still find it hard to believe that they do not send it with a manual. I applaud that they have started sending the first units out, but why on earth is the user manual not ready after all this time?

I don’t know and it’s driving me nuts. I essentially got everything hooked up last night. Changed a few settings that I wanted, did the HPEQ on my HD 800. I tried the preloaded room and it was good enough to get me by for a bit, but I really want to try my hand at capturing 5.1 setup I have easy access to. I honestly don’t know where to start though and I don’t want to waste hours of time aimlessly without the user manual. James said it was supposed to be uploaded Sunday. I asked him yesterday if it would be available by the end of the day since I had my unit in hand and I didn’t get a response. I don’t know what the hold up is, but they need to post it soon.

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #5,683 of 15,992
Got my email from James this evening my time. Just saw it and replied.

It was actually a reply to the email I sent. But ignored the content of my email. It said the same as reported before by mrmac.

Seems it may well be backer number after all. :ksc75smile:

I’ll report when I hear from courier.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back