1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380
382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391
Next

Last
  1. audiohobbit
    Hm, I just had a look at the spec sheet that is on their page at the moment (actually it's from Jan. 2017) and there's no mentioning of HDMI bitstream OUT, neither in the text on the first page, nor in the block daigram further down: https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/RealiserA16datasheet.pdf
    Compare this to the first block diagram that's been posted with the KS campaign: https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/01...-q=50&q=92&s=c25a2058dc46606eb91b2cb5eeb10f59

That clearly stated 36.8 Mbps bitstream OUT.
    So it seems (maybe with the updated HDMI board?) the bitstream output has been lost somewhere on the way and we'll never get Atmos measuring signals out of the HDMI output! :frowning2:

The only hope left is the measuring disc with Atmos for the asynchronous measuring mode. But I doubt that this will become reality in the near future.

2. Got the Shakes
    Well I can confirm from testing last night that it will pass video out, but it won’t passthrough any audio to my tv which is really annoying. I either need a convoluted setup using splitters, or be resigned to the fact that I need to wear headphones every time I use a device connected to the A16

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. VerloK
    My most wanted question, is the A16 good enough to kick my dac+HPAmp away.
    Lks-mh d004 + AudioValve RKV3.

Regards

4. teacher1000
    Wow. I really hope there's some kind of obscure setting somewhere that needs to be toggled.
    I find it difficult to believe audio pass-through is missing. My understanding is that for Dolby certification the A16 had to be able to function as a home theatre pre-amp, however basic (Stephen told me this a couple of years back). If the only way is by using the analog outs that's going to screw most users

5. audiohobbit
    Furthermore the FAQ states:
    They talk about a DVD, so probably no Atmos measuring signal, even with the disc.

What theoretically could work is if you can assign 8 ch out of up to 16 to the HDMI PCM out and then to an AVR (with the speakers to be measured connected to the corresponding channels) for a first PRIR of e.g. the 7.1 setup and then reassign and reconnect 4 (or 6) height speakers.
    If this would work then at least people with AVRs that have no 8ch analog inputs will have a better chance to measure up to 16 speakers with two measurement runs.

6. Richter Di
    Would you mind to put your Backer number in the signature?

Same request. Would be extremely helpful for the conversations here.

7. Got the Shakes
    I believe that the pre-amp functionality is at least for the time being is locked to the analog out. I looked for a setting that might help but couldn’t find anything. To be honest I’m not sure I know what half of the setting in the menu do without the manual.

8. Richter Di
    I guess you misunderstood me. I fully agree to the use of a digital version. I still think with delivery you have to have a manual even if you have to change it for next firmware version.

innocentblood likes this.
  9. Richter Di
    I asked you already, where do you get your infos from?

audiohobbit likes this.
  10. audiohobbit
    Which AV-preamp has multichannel (more than 8) DIGITAL pre-outs?
    Serving as a complete AV preamp would be ideal. You have to have either active speakers or power amps connected to the analogue preouts of the A16 (up to 16 channels) and you can use it as Atmos-decoding preamp or Atmos decoding SVS processing unit. And measuring all your loudspeakers would also be no problem.
    That is just how the Smyths done it at the demos.

11. Eich1eeF
    There was indeed a change as part of the HDMI board upgrade. See the bottom left of the third page of http://www.mds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HSR-5th_rev2b.pdf Only one I2S line (i.e. stereo) is available for audio output with the Lattice part, versus 4 I2S in the prior generation boards. [...] Internally to the HDMI chip all audio can be passed through for a bypass mode. So this mode only has to be enabled.
    I still think that the test signal should fit in the bandwidth of the 2 audio output channels. I can think of two reasons why that might not work: (1) the output may be hard wired as PCM and (2) it may not be possible to direct an Atmos decoder to play back an object exclusively over one specific speaker. The latter would also be a problem for an external test signal blu ray.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  12. teacher1000
    Ah, point taken. That makes sense

13. audiohobbit
    Yes, exactly my thoughts as well.

14. Eich1eeF
    The Trinnov Altitude or Storm Audio ISP, for example.

15. audiohobbit
    Ok, then you need extra DACs because the amp at the end will be analogue, even if it's a "digital" amp.

First

Back
371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380
382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391
Next

Last