Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 16, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #4,771 of 16,011
See I find localization to be the easy part, a finite impulse response and first reflection algorithm and you have a good externalized stereo image or 7.1 sound field. Using measured room impulse responses better externalizes the virtualization but increases the naturalness of it 10 fold, and this is where the fidelity comes in, fast responsive transducers, fast non feedback circuits, to accurately render all of that extra information. Colorations from using a different hrtf are typically under 5db under 5khz, much less of an issue for what you hear compared to information being lost due to slower transducers and inadequate circuits. Ive done extensive testing with the most demanding 7.1 audio tracks over headphones and compared them directly to my surround system and actual localization has never been an issue, even when using a pair of budget dynamics and integrated motherboard audio, but the enjoyment and fidelity of that equipment is wholly unenjoyable. best way to put it, a neat effect vs using better equipment makes the binaural audio from a Realiser to sound like actual loudspeaker systems

As for dsd, idk, I dont have any personal experience yet, but everything I've read leans more towards pcm to analog actually being a lossy conversion and the one person who has converted prir binaural audio to dsd512 reports a transformative experience, which id attritubte to dsd converting to analog more accurately or fully. Measurements show interesting effects on square waves, and even the most hearty objectivists claim sonic benefits from dsd512.
I guess we more or less agree on the human side of things, that's pretty good already ^_^. I wish I could say that much everyday on Head-fi.

DSD512 is just DSD at an even crazier sample rate. so the available resolution is indeed superior, if only because you can use a wider range of ultrasonic frequencies while noise shaping. but saying it's better is like saying that a higher PCM resolution is better. objectively we do increase the container's resolution, converting a lower resolution into that higher container only has fairly limited advantages. most of which are already taken advantage of by modern DACs. so on that I only repeat my previous opinion of not really getting the point of converting PCM to DSD or PCM into a higher resolution PCM for that matter as to me it's ultimately the same action.
and about whoever got that "transformative" experience, well, I'm a skeptical guy so I'd wait to see some sort of evidence. or even better a plausible reason why that operation should significantly change what's heard, beside the fact that we would probably end up using different devices that may or may not reach audible transparency.

May 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #4,773 of 16,011
I guess we more or less agree on the human side of things, that's pretty good already ^_^. I wish I could say that much everyday on Head-fi.

DSD512 is just DSD at an even crazier sample rate. so the available resolution is indeed superior, if only because you can use a wider range of ultrasonic frequencies while noise shaping. but saying it's better is like saying that a higher PCM resolution is better. objectively we do increase the container's resolution, converting a lower resolution into that higher container only has fairly limited advantages. most of which are already taken advantage of by modern DACs. so on that I only repeat my previous opinion of not really getting the point of converting PCM to DSD or PCM into a higher resolution PCM for that matter as to me it's ultimately the same action.
and about whoever got that "transformative" experience, well, I'm a skeptical guy so I'd wait to see some sort of evidence. or even better a plausible reason why that operation should significantly change what's heard, beside the fact that we would probably end up using different devices that may or may not reach audible transparency.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/11/musings-on-dsd-compression-and.html?m=1

Skepticism is healthy but so is openness to trying something on your own and not taking another skeptic at their word.

Now we're getting off topic.

Gosh darnit whens that furkn rurlurzr guna ship?!

May 16, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #4,775 of 16,011
I know this is slightly off (A16) topic but I saw this video of "BassMe" not on their Kickstarter web page and thought it may be of interest. I do not speak french so I did not understand. But may be helpful to those that do.

On this video, comments of people trying it mostly say that they can feel strongly bass in their chest, one says that she feels like in a night club. The creator of the BassMe explains that he got the idea of it while he was lying on his bed, listening to music with a small bluetooth speaker, when it fell on his chest, and the sound was directed straight on his chest and he could feel it resonate, vibrate in him and that's when he thought that there might be something to dig around that...

May 16, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #4,776 of 16,011
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/11/musings-on-dsd-compression-and.html?m=1

Skepticism is healthy but so is openness to trying something on your own and not taking another skeptic at their word.

Now we're getting off topic.
Indeed we are, but which part of thatnlinked blog post is supposed to convince anyone that DSD is a good idea? Certainly not the quote by the author in the comments: if they still insist on using it [DSD] at all instead of just 24/96+ PCM.

The "Realiser A16 – Additional Technical Information 1 August 2016" document that used to be available at
http://smyth-research.com/downloads/additional_KS_info.pdf
has a block diagram that mentions DSD, and has it as input (at 64xFs) from the HDMI repeater, and as output, but only to the user A DAC, *not* to any SPDIF connector. There's also the issue that the DSPs are at capacity in multi user mode and/or at high sample rates (e.g. 192kHz, which is also used for down-converted DSD reecived from HDMI available only with 4 input channels and in single user mode), so there's likely literally no room for any additional delta/sigma processing, especially when you would perceive it as desirable.

May 16, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #4,777 of 16,011
Indeed we are, but which part of thatnlinked blog post is supposed to convince anyone that DSD is a good idea? Certainly not the quote by the author in the comments: if they still insist on using it [DSD] at all instead of just 24/96+ PCM.

The "Realiser A16 – Additional Technical Information 1 August 2016" document that used to be available at
http://smyth-research.com/downloads/additional_KS_info.pdf
has a block diagram that mentions DSD, and has it as input (at 64xFs) from the HDMI repeater, and as output, but only to the user A DAC, *not* to any SPDIF connector. There's also the issue that the DSPs are at capacity in multi user mode and/or at high sample rates (e.g. 192kHz, which is also used for down-converted DSD reecived from HDMI available only with 4 input channels and in single user mode), so there's likely literally no room for any additional delta/sigma processing, especially when you would perceive it as desirable.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/09/measurements-pcm-to-dsd-upsampling.html
wrong one sorry

May 17, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #4,778 of 16,011
The Smyth Realiser Dealer/Distributor in India (www.realiser.in) has sent out an email saying:

"The first Realiser A16 has arrived in India, and is currently being tested."

and

"We will demonstrate this unique machine during the Palmexpo 2019 from Thursday May 30th to Saturday June 1st at the Bombay Exhibition Center.
Don't miss Hall 1 Booth I 102"

May 17, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #4,779 of 16,011
The guys from Bassme didn't answer my questions yet but I backed it now anyway before the super early bird is gone (10 are left).
99€ (+10€ shipping as it seems) is not much compared to other investments in our hobby.

May 17, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #4,781 of 16,011
The guys from Bassme didn't answer my questions yet but I backed it now anyway before the super early bird is gone (10 are left).
99€ (+10€ shipping as it seems) is not much compared to other investments in our hobby.
I wrote to them on wednesday evening via their Facebook page and i got an answer the next morning. Maybe my answer was faster because i wrote in french.
I had already exchanged a couple of emails with the guy in charge of communication back in march and i also got an answer very fast.
I see that they reach half of their funding already in 3 days. The second half may be the hardest part, especially since it's not really advertised. I read about it in a small article in a french science magazine two months ago, but i had never heard about it before.

May 17, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #4,782 of 16,011
Well I'm a bit oldschool and still do not have a facebook account...
So I wrote an email. But it is only 36 h ago, so no problem for me that they didn't answer yet. I just saw that the super early birds are nearly gone and wanted to secure one for me.
About 100 euros for a little bit of experimenting is not much.
Actually I had plans to build a similar kind of "chest-shaker" myself. There are companies that manufacture such small shakers, and I think bassme will use s.th. similar.
When they answer me I'll let you know.

May 18, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #4,784 of 16,011

Thanks to you guys here I also backed it. So hopefully they receive the funding goal.
Would be my third one:
1. https://lofelt.com/the-basslet
2. SUBPAC M2x
3. Bassme

May 18, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #4,785 of 16,011
For those that backed the YARRA 3DX to go with their Realisers, the latest KS update states that all KS and Indiegogo orders are now at the distribution centre and being labelled for shipping, indeed one comment on the update is from a backer who has received a tracking number.

After the issues with the YARRA 3DX campaign this is good news, hopefully there will soon be similar good news for the Realiser A16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back