Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 13, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #4,741 of 15,989
i contacted smith asking for any news and here is the reply ,
i know there is nothing new but i wanted to share the reply anyway.

Hi [my real name],
Thanks for getting in touch.
We our getting very close to shipping the A16.
Dolby are in the process of certifying the A16. Once this is complete we will begin to start shipping the A16.
We appreciate your patience. Not long to go.
Regards
James

May 13, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #4,743 of 15,989
No matter what happens with A16, wether we (hopefully) get it eventually or not, the main lesson i'll draw for myself from this experience is "Never back up a Kickstarter project again !"
Until the next time something as amazing as the A16 comes along... :wink:

May 13, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #4,744 of 15,989
Of course, i'm being a bit dramatic here :slight_smile: and i know the saying, "Never say Never" ! If i get my A16, i could even back up A32 in 10 years if it came to that, and go through three more years of ups and downs... but more seriously, i'll really think twice before spending such a big sum.
Back in 2016, i didn't hesitate too much because the A8 was already proving that they had serious skills in that domain, plus the A16 prototype was functional and convincing, and when i get the unit, it will probably have been worth the wait.

May 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #4,745 of 15,989
I'll not support kickstarter or indegogo again... not because of the A16 but because of others ripping people off.... In fact now when some of the suppliers that I have bought from in the past go to kickstarter I write them and ask if I can purchase the products by skipping those two ... just not worth it any more ....

May 13, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #4,747 of 15,989
When they truly are "getting very close to shipping the A16" they'd most probably send out emails/update requesting we confirm our shipping addresses as many will have changed in the 3?? years since we paid.

I'd imagine that they'd do this a good month before shipping?

I'm not getting too excited until some sort of confirmation that they actually are ready to go pops up.

May 13, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #4,748 of 15,989
Thanks for that update, but it would only have taken James a few moments to give us all that information

I've been asking myself that very same question. I can't begin to tell you just how happy I'll be if the Smyths actually announce shipping at some point--at any point--this Summer...!

Sadly, I have to take James Smyth's "Not long to go" with one loooong grain of salt, given the Smyths' past record, and the many false ETAs that they have led many on this forum to generate and dream about in the past...

I could go on about "once bitten...blah, blah, blah" and all that jazz, but who needs that?

1FMR5

Who enjoys being let down over and over again by their own self-generated false hopes?

Now talking about getting bitten, this one really looks like a real mordedura de putisima madre he he he :)!:

May 13, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #4,749 of 15,989
Note, you also need to use OOYH instead of a Realiser for real time dsd512 conversion unless your dac does it.

@Zenvota, hey! Is there a way to do real time dsd512 conversion with OOYH? I use off-line dsd512 conversion, but I don't know of an application signal chain that would allow you to do it in real time. Please post the route. I've been looking for a way to do this for a long time.

May 13, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #4,750 of 15,989
@Zenvota, hey! Is there a way to do real time dsd512 conversion with OOYH? I use off-line dsd512 conversion, but I don't know of an application signal chain that would allow you to do it in real time. Please post the route. I've been looking for a way to do this for a long time.
jriver? I havent tried it yet, my nfb7 is old =/

"
Converting PCM to DSD on Output
Media Center's Output Format DSP can also be used to re-encode all PCM audio output to DSD "on the fly". This is not generally recommended unless your audio hardware does not handle standard PCM audio well. To access this feature, open Player > DSPStudio > Output Format and set the Output Encoding setting to the DSD type appropriate for your hardware."
dsd_output_encoding.png

May 14, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #4,751 of 15,989
jriver? I havent tried it yet, my nfb7 is old =/

"
Converting PCM to DSD on Output
Media Center's Output Format DSP can also be used to re-encode all PCM audio output to DSD "on the fly". This is not generally recommended unless your audio hardware does not handle standard PCM audio well. To access this feature, open Player > DSPStudio > Output Format and set the Output Encoding setting to the DSD type appropriate for your hardware."

Yes, Roon, Audirvana, and HQPlayer can also upconvert to DSD on the fly. I would wager that these three are actually better quality conversion too, with HQP being the best by a good margin.

However, you need a way to route the output from OOYH as an input into JRiver in real time. I haven't used JRiver in a long time so I don't know if it has a way to do that, but I know that none of the other players have that capability. Only Pure Music had that, but the feature was of horrible quality.

You can send audio from a music player into OOYH as the output device post upconversion but OOYH only works at 48KHz, which defeats the purpose.

If JRiver has a way to receive the input from an audio capture of OOYH in real time, before upconversion, please let me know.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #4,752 of 15,989
Yes, Roon, Audirvana, and HQPlayer can also upconvert to DSD on the fly. I would wager that these three are actually better quality conversion too, with HQP being the best by a good margin.

However, you need a way to route the output from OOYH as an input into JRiver in real time. I haven't used JRiver in a long time so I don't know if it has a way to do that, but I know that none of the other players have that capability. Only Pure Music had that, but the feature was of horrible quality.

You can send audio from a music player into OOYH as the output device post upconversion but OOYH only works at 48KHz, which defeats the purpose.

If JRiver has a way to receive the input from an audio capture of OOYH in real time, before upconversion, please let me know.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver
JriverWDM.png

May 15, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #4,754 of 15,989
I agree, it's a bit too much off-topic at the moment.
BTW: Does anyone know if there is a thread for the Genelec Aural ID service I mentioned earlier in this thread? I talked to Genelec at the High End show in Munich and want to put in the right thread becaues here it's also off-topic.

On Topic:
I think the Heavenly Sond website has been slightly updated, I can't remember seeing those photos of the A16 when I last visited their page: https://heavenly-sound.com/A16Realiser/ (scroll down a bit and there's a gallery of 6 pictures).
On of the pictures shows part of the remote control. I always thought that this looks familiar, and now I know: It's obviously based on the layout of a Samsung remote, housing, keys, layout, exactly the same.
For comparison:
A16 remote: https://www.facebook.com/smyth.realiser.fr/photos/a.279231625439111/1836147283080863/?type=3&theater
Samsung: www.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-new-remote-control-bn59-01179a/400389580.html

Only the color and labels of the keys are different. The A16 remote even seems to have illuminated keys!

This is quite clever because they'd need no extra moulds for the plastic housings and the keys. These are very expensive parts (I know, I'm a mechanical engineer).

I wonder if even the electronics board could be the same and is programmable (FPGA or s.th. similar)?
Does anyone know this (any electric/electronic guys around?)

PS: Just found another interesting thing: https://www.vdt-magazin.de/archiv/a...onitoring-of-the-new-immersive-audio-formats/

Enlarge the picture: This is a slightly different prototype than what we saw on KS and the demos etc.
It is an article in the magazin of the society of german audio engineers from March 2015.
It seems to be the first generation protoype (as mentioned in the KS timeline). They've been showing this at the High End show in Munich in 2015 (I was not there but a friend of mine). In 2016 they showed the 2nd gen prototype.

Since i do not use paypal I can't buy and download the article.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #4,755 of 15,989
I agree, it's a bit too much off-topic at the moment.

On Topic:
I think the Heavenly Sond website has been slightly updated, I can't remember seeing those photos of the A16 when I last visited their page: https://heavenly-sound.com/A16Realiser/ (scroll down a bit and there's a gallery of 6 pictures).
On of the pictures shows part of the remote control. I always thought that this looks familiar, and now I know: It's obviously based on the layout of a Samsung remote, housing, keys, layout, exactly the same.
For comparison:
A16 remote: https://www.facebook.com/smyth.realiser.fr/photos/a.279231625439111/1836147283080863/?type=3&theater
Samsung: www.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-new-remote-control-bn59-01179a/400389580.html

Only the color and labels of the keys are different. The A16 remote even seems to have illuminated keys!

Thanks for the links for the remote. That's the first time I have seen the complete image of the remote control. Plenty of buttons to configure the sound. On the Heavenly Sound page, the main image of the 2U has has no brackets but the gallery image shows it with brackets. I hope these will not be standard but an optional if requested before shipping.
I remember during the survey being asked if we would like wooden side panels instead of brackets, but have heard no more about them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/1950017
I hope this is still an option as I think the wooden finish looks nicer than the metal sides.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back