Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 7, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #4,711 of 15,989
Happy birthday this thread! That's right this thread is now three years old as of today! Who would have thought as recently as three years and a day ago, we'd all be at home enjoying our A16 Realizers like we all now are today! Can't wait for the fourth birthday of this thread! Imagine what that will be like!

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #4,712 of 15,989
Happy birthday this thread! That's right this thread is now three years old as of today! Who would have thought as recently as three years and a day ago, we'd all be at home enjoying our A16 Realizers like are all now are today! Can't wait for the fourth birthday of this thread! Imagine what that will be like!

Not very funny

May 7, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #4,714 of 15,989
Anyway this thread will remain alive after the A16 is delivered... we'll be exchanging opinions, reviews, settings, experimentations, etc. so the 4th anniversary may not be a bittersweet one (he said, crossing fingers)...

May 7, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #4,715 of 15,989
It was okay. I'm at the “better laugh than cry” point.

Agreed, totally, except that I have been at this stage since about July last year or even before... On the other hand, for someone looking in from the outside, this waiting process, plus the many ingenious and disingenuous tricks some of us play on our own minds to make the waiting tolerable can be downright hilarious...

giphy1.gif
A few laughs, every now and then, can make all the slow torture of waiting and the pain of disappointment go down a lot easier. I know from personal experience that my own patience wouldn't have survived this long wait and uncertainty, without a sense of humor--sometimes, a large dose of mischievous humor. I remember some posters wanting to bite my head off last August for allegedly being too "pessimistic," when I was attempting to spare another poster the pain of some disappointment by trying to dissuade them from expecting a September '18 shipping date. As if pessimism or optimism had anything at all to do with the price of tea in China... I simply saw it as a case of wanting to shoot the messenger... I wonder what some of those same visitors might have felt, when I tried to tell others to give up hoping for any 2018 shipping at all...

f79aafe7-85e7-4ed9-bc05-ac1c41c9f555_text.gif

That was before we entered the "waiting for Dolby certification BS" phase... I wonder whether there are still any visitors who believe that "Dolby certification" is exclusively to blame for all the delay...

Now we seem to have entered the funniest phase of all: Smyth seem to have run out even of BS ideas. Yes their creative juices for drumming up BS ideas to string their A16 customers along seem to have dried up... This started at the beginning of this year when the usually intermittent and always late updates dwindled to about 2 sentence affairs each... Now, even the 2-sentence update well also seems to have dried up! Yes, I guess even the work of generating BS can become rather exhausting over time and lead to burn out!

That is not great news for us customers, but there is a side to the problem that is rather hilarious, and makes me want to laugh...

This idea of the Bulls--ter running out of BS update ideas, burned out from their own BS efforts...

Of course, this is speculation, and I wish it was all mere speculation... The Smyths have the opportunity to prove me wrong by shipping out our A16s in say July... I am actually urging them to take it, and expose me as the BS-er... Now won't that be refreshing for a change?

UTMed_W18_p22_John_Plane_Ani-1.gif

BarrenUnluckyIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #4,717 of 15,989
Agreed, totally, except that I have been at this stage since about July last year or even before... On the other hand, for someone looking in from the outside, this waiting process, plus the many ingenious and disingenuous tricks some of us play on our own minds to make the waiting tolerable can be downright hilarious...

giphy1.gif
A few laughs, every now and then, can make all the waiting and the pain of disappointment go down a lot easier. I know from personal experience that my own patience wouldn't have survived this long wait and uncertainty, without a sense of humor--sometimes, a large dose of mischievous humor. I remember some posters wanting to bite my head off last August for allegedly being too "pessimistic," when I was attempting to spare another poster the pain of some disappointment by trying to dissuade them from expecting a September '18 shipping date. As if pessimism or optimism had anything at all to do with the price of tea in China... I simply saw it as a case of wanting to shoot the messenger... I wonder what some of those same visitors might have felt, when I tried to tell others to give up hoping for any 2018 shipping at all...

f79aafe7-85e7-4ed9-bc05-ac1c41c9f555_text.gif

That was before we entered the "waiting for Dolby certification BS" phase... I wonder whether there are still any visitors who believe that "Dolby certification" is exclusively to blame for all the delay...

Now we seem to have entered the funniest phase of all: Smyth seem to have run out even of BS ideas. Yes their creative juices for drumming up BS ideas to string their A16 customers along seem to have dried up... This started at the beginning of this year when the usually intermittent and always late updates dwindled to about 2 sentence affairs each... Now, even the 2-sentence update well also seems to have dried up! Yes, I guess even the work of generating BS can become rather exhausting over time and lead to burn out!

That is not great news for us customers, but there is a side to the problem that is rather hilarious, and makes me want to laugh...

This idea of the Bulls--ter running out of BS update ideas, burned out from their own BS efforts...

Of course, this is speculation, and I wish it was all mere speculation... The Smyths have the opportunity to prove me wrong by shipping out our A16s in say July... I am actually urging them to take it, and expose me as the BS-er... Now won't that be refreshing for a change?

UTMed_W18_p22_John_Plane_Ani-1.gif

BarrenUnluckyIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif
Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall of the Smyth Brothers office?

May 7, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #4,718 of 15,989
Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall of the Smyth Brothers office?

You bet I would! Very gladly! Except that I wouldn't expect to see too many cheerful faces there at this time.

May 7, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #4,719 of 15,989
Anyway this thread will remain alive after the A16 is delivered... we'll be exchanging opinions, reviews, settings, experimentations, etc. so the 4th anniversary may not be a bittersweet one (he said, crossing fingers)...
That stuff will be in a new impressions/users thread. No one will want to weed through over 4700 posts in their effort to find the relative minority of posts with helpful information about technical aspects of the A16.

May 7, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #4,720 of 15,989
That stuff will be in a new impressions/users thread. No one will want to weed through over 4700 posts in their effort to find the relative minority of posts with helpful information about technical aspects of the A16.

I can't like this enough. Once these ship, we need a new thread. This one is sad and depressing. We can all finally move on to enjoying the damn thing!

May 7, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #4,721 of 15,989

Actually, I hope @dsperber starts a new impression thread as soon as he receives the first unit.

May 8, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #4,722 of 15,989
Fellow Smyth enthusiasts/audiophiles in waiting: I am based out of the Washington, DC/Northern Virginia area, awaiting my A16 like many others. I don't get to the west coast often at all, but am taking a trip 1st week of June with my son, flying into San Fran, renting a car and driving down the PCH over that week to LA. Just wondering if I could use this chance to get a customized measurement done in a great theater or studio which would be useful when the A16 finally arrives? Anyone know who is actively offering this service? I will mostly be using for movies/TV so an Atmos room would be ideal, stereo system might be nice for music but that is less of a focus of mine. I did not own a A8 and have never been through this process before, if anyone has any tips or leads on that in Cali please let me know. Also are any of you aware of T.H.E. Show in Long Beach Hilton that weekend of 6/8? The Home Entertainment Show seems to be high-end audiophile and music industry stuff but I wasn't aware of it before. Did not see Smyth exhibiting but I did see mention of high end headphones and systems on display. Any insight? (Sorry if that part is off topic but thought it was worth mentioning...)

May 8, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #4,723 of 15,989
Fellow Smyth enthusiasts/audiophiles in waiting: I am based out of the Washington, DC/Northern Virginia area, awaiting my A16 like many others. I don't get to the west coast often at all, but am taking a trip 1st week of June with my son, flying into San Fran, renting a car and driving down the PCH over that week to LA. Just wondering if I could use this chance to get a customized measurement done in a great theater or studio which would be useful when the A16 finally arrives? Anyone know who is actively offering this service? I will mostly be using for movies/TV so an Atmos room would be ideal, stereo system might be nice for music but that is less of a focus of mine. I did not own a A8 and have never been through this process before, if anyone has any tips or leads on that in Cali please let me know.

Hi, you can not measure without the A16. So all measurements can only be done when the Smyths are somewhere with their „prototype“.

May 8, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #4,724 of 15,989
You can do measurements with an A8. You just would not have vertical headtracking (or rather no vertical de-rotation), only horizontal. To get 16 channels you would have make 2 8 channel PRIRs. Maybe more if you want specific height speakers for Atmos and Auro 3D (although at this point I am not sure anymore if the A16 will ever do Auro 3D decoding, but with an external decoder it will always be possible of course), and 2 pairs of surrounds (optimal position for 5.1 and optimal position for 7/9.1).
With the A16 you can load A8 PRIRs and combine speakers from several PRIRs into presets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back