Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 30, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #4,696 of 15,986
Thanks for the reply. The issue is that I don't have either speakers or the open backed headphones yet to do a test. I previously owned various open headphones but sold them all. I only kept the W5000s. I have a Realiser A8 which I haven't been using and will potentially buy an A16.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience before splashing out. This is the worry:

"I expect you will hear the sound leaking from your wife's headphones in this situation. It will not be messing up the speaker simulation, but maybe it can be an annoying disturbance."

Her headphones will actually be playing the same soundtrack (e.g. film, Game of Thrones) as mine so I'm not sure it would actually "cut across" what I'm hearing. It might just sound like an extra speaker located where she is sitting.

As they're so open, I'd be quite cautious about buying Stax even though the Realisers work well with electrostatic headphones. I also don't want to get a headphone which needs a huge amp to drive it - which also rules out HD820s. Essentially I don't want a huge pile of kit in the living room as it will just annoy my wife - I would already need a device to source Netflix, Amazon and Blu-rays and output HDMI, then the Realiser going into the TV. I don't want one or even two huge amps on top of that.

My wife listens at quite low volumes. I think some open headphones don't leak as much sound as others - maybe Oppo PM-1s or PM-2s (still possible to get these). I could get her some of these and listen on the W5000s myself, which might be OK (?)

Failing that I was thinking of Shure SRH1540 to stay on the safe side - closed and easy to drive.

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #4,697 of 15,986
Is anyone here an A16 Realiser beta evaluator and can talk here about it?

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #4,698 of 15,986
Being impatient and unwilling to hand money to a product n/a yet,i was still saving for this item

Each time i had more than enough something would come up

Dynaudios,Simaudio dac and amp,Hegel Amp,Cayin N8,64 audios CIEMs

i really do hope for the best on this tho

By the time this is released i may well be tapped

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #4,699 of 15,986
Honestly, i don't think that if two people watch a movie next to each other with two open headphones will be disturbed by the sound of the other headphones. If you are standing next to someone who is listening to something with open headphones, you will hear a bit sound leaking from it if you are not listening to anything yourself, but if you are listening to something on open headphones at the same time, the sound coming from your own headphones will be way loud enough to cover what may come out of the other headphones, especially if you are listening to the same soundtrack.
I may be wrong as i didn't test it myself, but i really doubt it will be a disturbance.

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #4,700 of 15,986
This may be a dumb question but I will ask it anyways... The A16 will have onscreen display correct? I wont need to look at the front screen for anything. Reason i ask is because this unit will likely be in a storage rack in a closet

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #4,701 of 15,986
This may be a dumb question but I will ask it anyways... The A16 will have onscreen display correct? I wont need to look at the front screen for anything. Reason i ask is because this unit will likely be in a storage rack in a closet
I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading in the manufacturers specs that the new HDMI board doesn't support OSD at least in 4K.

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #4,702 of 15,986

The HDMI interface used is one of these http://www.mds.com/products/hdmivideo/5th-gen-hdmi/ and if I'm not mistaken, they are going to use the HSR-41Q which does not have OSD support at all. You should be able to control the Realiser with an web browser from a tablet, smartphone or computer.

Apr 30, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,703 of 15,986
If I can control from an android app or Windows 10 PC, thats cool. I just want to make sure I can tell if the input signal is DD, DD+, Dolby Atmos, etc.. And how the signal is being processed to the headphones (for example: Atmos 9.1.2, etc..), along with all setup info

Apr 30, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #4,704 of 15,986
If I can control from an android app or Windows 10 PC, thats cool. I just want to make sure I can tell if the input signal is DD, DD+, Dolby Atmos, etc.. And how the signal is being processed to the headphones (for example: Atmos 9.1.2, etc..), along with all setup info
The spec sheet at https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/RealiserA16datasheet.pdf says "web browser remote control," so not strictly an app, but any device with a browser should do. There used to be a screenshot of a version of the remote control interface somewhere, but I can't find it anymore - I thought it was in one of the kickstarter updates, but I could be wrong.

May 2, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #4,705 of 15,986
It's been a month sharp since last update ...
"when we have issued the updated firmware to Dolby, we will let you all know by way of a short update"
Should one understand that "small number of issues that need to resolved" is taking much longer to be fixed than expected, or just that we were not informed that updated firmware was issued and Dolby certification is back on track ?

May 3, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #4,706 of 15,986
Stupid question - does anyone know if there is a studio in London/ Western Europe where a high quality PRIR can be taken - with 16 speakers in a high quality room?

I don't really like the idea of this "PRIR Exchange" - surely the whole point of the Realiser is to get personalised PRIRs?

May 3, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #4,707 of 15,986
Stupid question - does anyone know if there is a studio in London/ Western Europe where a high quality PRIR can be taken - with 16 speakers in a high quality room?

I don't really like the idea of this "PRIR Exchange" - surely the whole point of the Realiser is to get personalised PRIRs?
The FAQ in https://smyth-research.com/ say "Find a local studio in the Realiser Exchange Directory to undertake the measurement", so presumably they'll publish a list of studios where you can get the measurement done.

May 3, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #4,708 of 15,986
"when we have issued the updated firmware to Dolby, we will let you all know by way of a short update"
Should one understand that "small number of issues that need to resolved" is taking much longer to be fixed than expected, or just that we were not informed that updated firmware was issued and Dolby certification is back on track ?

I am just sad.

May 3, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #4,709 of 15,986

Honestly could be either. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes them 6 months to fix the issues and submit for certification again and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve already done so and just don’t want to take 5 minutes and tell us.

May 3, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #4,710 of 15,986
Software development rule of thumb ... "last 10% takes 90% of the time." ... sad to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back