Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 12, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #4,688 of 16,011
The A16 Realiser Dealer/Distributor in India is now offering pre-orders. I do not know when this offer became available but I believe it is relatively recent (last month or two) as I had not seen it on their website before.

They plan to ship all Realiser A16s purchased under this pre-sale scheme in Q3 2019, but say the actual shipping may be delayed.

https://www.realiser.in/pre-order-page

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #4,690 of 16,011
Apr 22, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #4,693 of 16,011
Apr 30, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #4,694 of 16,011
Hi - I was wondering if anyone has experience of dual user mode (either the A16 or the A8) with two open backed headphones, sitting right next to each other? Does the sound leakage from the headphones interfere at all with the other user's virtual surround?

It would be me and my wife. Alternatively we could have one user with closed back headphones (ATH-W5000s, which don't offer 100% isolation) and the other with open back headphones.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #4,695 of 16,011
Hi - I was wondering if anyone has experience of dual user mode (either the A16 or the A8) with two open backed headphones, sitting right next to each other? Does the sound leakage from the headphones interfere at all with the other user's virtual surround?

It would be me and my wife. Alternatively we could have one user with closed back headphones (ATH-W5000s, which don't offer 100% isolation) and the other with open back headphones.
I don't have experience with it but I think you can do a simple test that will resemble the situation with using the Realiser and two very open headphones like Stax (I understood that wearing Stax headphones you can hear your surroundings practically the same as if you don't wear any headphones?). Simply listen to your loudspeakers without wearing headphones (assuming you have loudspeakers), while your wife is listening right next to you with for example the Stax to the same source (playing through the Stax). You won't hear a significant difference between binauralised or not-binauralised audio leaking from the headphones of someone sitting next to you. And as we all know or hope you also won't hear a significant difference between listening to your real speakers or listening through headphones to the Realiser emulating your room and speakers. I expect you will hear the sound leaking from your wife's headphones in this situation. It will not be messing up the speaker simulation, but maybe it can be an annoying disturbance. Try and you will know! (By the way, note that in this test your wife has an experience that is totally different and irrelevant for the test, because she will be hearing both her headphones and the loudspeakers at the same time.)
You could repeat the test with your wife using the ATH-W5000s. That would be like you using the Stax with the Realiser, sitting next to your wife using the ATH-W5000s. Again only from your perspective, because in this test your wife would be hearing non-binauralised sound and maybe the sound of real speakers leaking in through her ATH-W5000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back