Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 30, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #4,651 of 16,011
I am also disappointed. Maybe Monday?
However, very few and more expensive products are able to render equivalent tonal, spatial and acoustical performance in my little appartment.
There are companies that reinforce their products "value" by frequently launching new versions or using cognitive dissonance strategies in marketing.
I still believe the A16 will be successful for its intrinsic value.

I agree with you, there is no other product that can do exactly what the A16 does that I am aware of at any price point.
Is truly unique.

Fully agree here. I built my whole home office/ma cave’s AV and computer rig around this unique “home cinema receiver for headphones”.
I hope I can put this cornerstone of my system in place soon to finish my setup.

Mar 30, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #4,652 of 16,011
Fully agree here. I built my whole home office/ma cave’s AV and computer rig around this unique “home cinema receiver for headphones”.
I hope I can put this cornerstone of my system in place soon to finish my setup.

I did the same. The A16 is the thing I’ve been waiting on to make my setup complete the way I want.

Don’t get me wrong, most of the stuff I would have bought regardless like the LG OLED, game consoles, and the PC I built but I don’t really have a good way to setup speakers in the room that I’ve turned into my media area so it feels incomplete without the A16. I did buy a pair of HD 800 in anticipation of the A16 which was the most amount of money I’ve ever spent on headphones and wouldn’t have bought otherwise.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #4,653 of 16,011
https://auralid.genelec.com

Genelec comes with binauralisation software with camera based HRTFs!

I wonder if these HRTFs can be that good? They are aiming for the professional market!

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #4,654 of 16,011
https://auralid.genelec.com

Genelec comes with binauralisation software with camera based HRTFs!

I wonder if these HRTFs can be that good? They are aiming for the professional market!
Been on the map for quite some time. It’s their collaboration with IDA, who have offered this service for about 2 years now. Results can be good, but nothing close to a properly measured HRTF, unfortunately (I remember a french review comparing IR spectrographs between IDA and a measurement at IRCAM - at that time results for IDA were somewhat mixed). But the concept has potential in the long run. However, they arenot the only ones offering this service on the market (particularly 3DSoundLabs and their collaboration with Microsoft - check my earlier posts in this thread).

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #4,655 of 16,011
Been on the map for quite some time. It’s their collaboration with IDA, who have offered this service for about 2 years now. Results can be good, but nothing close to a properly measured HRTF, unfortunately (I remember a french review comparing IR spectrographs between IDA and a measurement at IRCAM - at that time results for IDA were somewhat mixed). But the concept has potential in the long run. However, they arenot the only ones offering this service on the market (particularly 3DSoundLabs and their collaboration with Microsoft - check my earlier posts in this thread).
And their website is a dead end. Says in there if you're interested to "enter your email below", and guess what, nothing is there, and no information on when the product might be offered, what platform it will run on, cost, or whether it will include head tracking.

Mar 31, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #4,656 of 16,011
And their website is a dead end. Says in there if you're interested to "enter your email below", and guess what, nothing is there, and no information on when the product might be offered, what platform it will run on, cost, or whether it will include head tracking.

They have a store, which you gain access to by contacting them. As for platform - not sure what you mean - HRTFs are delivered as SOFA files - it’s been the standard for about 10 years. Obviously, you’ve got to organize your own convolution software incl. headtracker. There are enough free options out there (IEM, SPARTA, Kronlachner, etc., etc, etc.).

Price, if I remember correctly, was about 400 USD. They offered an option where you could send them a video of your head, which they would use for photogrammetry. Alternatively, there was another option where you could send them a 3D (structured light scan) of your head and torso.

Exactly the same pocedure also applies to 3DSoundLabs with the only difference that they are using photos rather than video and don’t rely on simulation but interpolation of actually measured HRTFs.

I mean, guys, - sorry - this kind of stuff is not really meant for your average home cinema user. In other words, you actually must invest a bit of ‘work’ in order to get things running, which is not to say that IDA would entail a lot of effort.

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #4,657 of 16,011
I agree with you, there is no other product that can do exactly what the A16 does that I am aware of at any price point.
Is truly unique.

On the contrary it doesn't do any thing. Currently it's right up there with the magnet you can stick next to your carburettor and get 50MPG. If it was capable of actually doing any thing we wouldn't all be sitting here wondering if it is ever going to ship.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #4,658 of 16,011
On the contrary it doesn't do any thing. Currently it's right up there with the magnet you can stick next to your carburettor and get 50MPG. If it was capable of actually doing any thing we wouldn't all be sitting here wondering if it is ever going to ship.
Or the machine that turns water into gasoline.

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #4,661 of 16,011
We got news from Gilles :
Gilles Gérin said:
Aujourd'hui, j'ai du nouveau au sujet de votre Realiser A16.

Le rapport de certification Dolby est arrivé. La bonne nouvelle, c'est qu'il est plutôt positif. La mauvaise, c'est qu'il va falloir faire quelques correctifs. C'était prévisible. L'équipe travaille déjà à un nouveau firmware, qui sera prêt d'ici environ une semaine. Il devra ensuite passer la certification. Processus classique.

Un pas de plus vers la délivrance en tous cas vient d'être franchi. Et en ce moment, les petits pas sont appréciés...

Translation :
Today i have some news about your Realiser A16.
The certification report arrived from Dolby. Good news, it's quite positive. Bad news, it requires some correcting. It was predictable. The team is already working on a new firmware that will be ready in a week or so.
Then it will have to pass certification. Usual process.

One more step towards the end has been passed. And lately even small steps are appreciated...

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #4,662 of 16,011
We got news from Gilles :

Translation :
Today i have some news about your Realiser A16.
The certification report arrived from Dolby. Good news, it's quite positive. Bad news, it requires some correcting. It was predictable. The team is already working on a new firmware that will be ready in a week or so.
Then it will have to pass certification. Usual process.

One more step towards the end has been passed. And lately even small steps are appreciated...
Thank you Fox.
Maybe this time the process will be indeed faster and the A16 will be with ( Kickstarter , Pre-Orders ) in the next 2 months?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #4,663 of 16,011
Thank you very much Fox and Gilles of course!
But I don't understand why the Smyths do not post this relatively good news themselves on KS? Would cost 5 minutes time. max.
(Maybe, hopefully, there will be an update in the next few days)

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #4,665 of 16,011
Thank you Fox.
Maybe this time the process will be indeed faster and the A16 will be with ( Kickstarter , Pre-Orders ) in the next 2 months?
Two months would be nice. I’ve set my sights on sometime before the official start of summer. While I would like to think that Dolby would put the retest on a fast track, I don't know if that’s a reasonable or correct assumption. I also know that fixing one software bug can often create another software bug elsewhere in the code. Bottom line is that Dolby will have to run retests on the entire firmware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back