Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 27, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #4,801 of 15,995
Thanks for your words, Sahmen.
You're right, we are all on the same boat here and for many months and even years we've been sharing the same excitements, frustrations and sometimes doubts. It may sound ridiculous from an external point of view, but the A16 will be an outstanding product and the numerous delays combined to the poor communication from Smyth Research led to frustration and tensions. And that's why i thought i was important for me to share here the precious informations that Gilles is providing to us french customers.
It makes the wait a bit easier to handle ! So, i'm glad if i helped some people here feeling better about that...

May 27, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #4,803 of 15,995
61047192_2605060829522834_149038547741966336_o.jpg

May 27, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #4,804 of 15,995
Quoted from email received today:

May 2019 A16 Update

Today we submitted new firmware to Dolby that solves all the compliance issues from the previous round of testing. We’re not sure how long it will take to be re-tested, but we’ll keep you informed on our progress.

Also we’ve had some issues with our email service over the last few days, and some backers who normally get notified via email may experience a delay in getting this update.

Regards

James

May 28, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #4,805 of 15,995
Didn't the French distributor interview the Smyths last year, and then wasn't he going to post the video on his website after he translated and subtitled it? Whatever happened with that? Did he post that video?
Indeed he mentioned this interview and was supposed to put it online but eventually it did not come out. Maybe i should ask him about it...

May 28, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #4,806 of 15,995
Off Topic: Firefox 67.0 had a security problem and could not get on to (any of the head-fi forums.) Like to say thanks to all who posted while it was down and received E-mails to keep me up to date.
The detailed explanation from Fox1977 from the French distributor of what was happening was an excellent detailed description of how far on the A16 process was.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #4,807 of 15,995
I don't understand why SR couldn't provide us themselves these extensive news, but well... I thank Gilles Gérin once more for his precious informations !
Yes, it's strange how reticent Smyth are with their “biggest fans” but thanks for that ... very positive news.

My guess -- and it is just that -- is, they were advised by legal council to not say anything that can be used against them later in a court of law ... (lol)

I do kid. I am a frustrated backer awaiting delivery, yes. But I do believe they will deliver.

If anything worries me it is, it may be that I sell my home and don't get to measure my 3 sound systems (well, 2 systems, one with 2 variations). Thereby quantifying/digitizing/[some thing better here] their sound signatures into a device and carrying them with me into the future to enjoy a virtualize version of them for as long as this device remains operational ... this was part of my justification to buy the A16. Ya, that bugs me ... but it's also a TBD of which comes first. So I'm still chill.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #4,808 of 15,995
Yesterday, i wrote to James Smyth because i had in mind that it would be possible with the A16 to save the decoded stream on SD card.
It would allow then for example to remux the processed soundtrack of the movie with the original MKV file so that it could be played on the go without needing the A16.
So, i asked if this feature was ready or planned.
I got an answer this morning, and he added something at the end that i enjoyed !
James Smyth said:
At this moment this is not a priority, we have other more urgent issues to resolve.
But further down the line we could still implement this. It makes sense. :)

Once Dolby certify us we will start to ship the A16 right away.
I hope certification will come very quickly !!

May 29, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #4,810 of 15,995
Yesterday, i wrote to James Smyth because i had in mind that it would be possible with the A16 to save the decoded stream on SD card.
It would allow then for example to remux the processed soundtrack of the movie with the original MKV file so that it could be played on the go without needing the A16.
So, i asked if this feature was ready or planned.
I got an answer this morning, and he added something at the end that i enjoyed !

I hope certification will come very quickly !!

That all sounds promising. Fingers crossed on Dolby coming back with certification quickly!

May 29, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #4,813 of 15,995
For those that backed the YARRA 3DX to go with their Realisers, the latest KS update states that all KS and Indiegogo orders are now at the distribution centre and being labelled for shipping, indeed one comment on the update is from a backer who has received a tracking number.

After the issues with the YARRA 3DX campaign this is good news, hopefully there will soon be similar good news for the Realiser A16.

Did anyone get a mail yet to choose between a black and silver color for the Yarra?

May 29, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #4,814 of 15,995
I think that if Comhear still wanted to know what color backers desired from those backers who had not submitted a preference earlier, they would have asked by now.

I am not even sure that both black models and silver models were produced.
Looking at the production mini pictures shown in the April 17 update, I believe it is possible that there is only one model with a black bottom and back and a 2 sided silver grill which covers the top and front.
Those pictures and the fact that Comhear has shown no recent interest in insuring backers get the color they prefer makes me think it is possible that only a silver grilled model with a black back, bottom and sides was produced.

What do other backers think?

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #4,815 of 15,995
Did anyone get a mail yet to choose between a black and silver color for the Yarra?

As a Yarra Kickstarter backer I provided that information in response to the Kickstarter survey back in November 2017. If you backed via Kickstarter you can check your survey there as part of your pledge details, if you backed elsewhere I can’t help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back