Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 18, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #4,487 of 16,011
I am quite sure if they wanted can have other companies with finance ready to invest in the A16 and take it to another level. Most likely they are not interested and go at their own peace no matter how slow the process may be.

They have - Heavenly Sounds came onboard about a year?? ago.
From the French dealer who gives better updates than the Smyth do they were pressuring them to actually complete the unit a fair while ago

That would mean a generic PRIR would work for most people

I'm in this aera - generic HRTF only gets me to about 75% of the way there.

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #4,488 of 16,011
That would mean a generic PRIR would work for most people, and purveyors of such systems would (as long as they offered head tracking) be valid alternatives to the $4k+ Realizer. At least with respect to its core function.

Good point - well stated

BTW, while we wait, and probably wait some more, for our A16s, there’s the “3D” and EQ windows program for headphones from Redscape.

Redscape website says: “Up to 7.1 channels of audio are simulated around your head. Redscape tracks your head rotation to keep the virtual speakers in place when you turn your head.” {www.redscapeaudio.com}

Redscape gives the headphone listener a quasi-3D, out-of-head experience, and does 10-band headphone EQ for $199. I bought it at the Canjam booth a couple of days ago for $169. A gyro-based USB-connected/powered head tracker is included. This head-tracker mounts on top of the headphone headband.

Obviously, Redscape is much less-capable than the A16, yet gives outstanding ‘bang-for-the buck’.

This software includes one EQ preset specifically for the Sennheiser HD-800. IMO this EQ & simulated 3D space transformed my HD-800 from good to fantastic – still finding it hard to believe this stunning HD-800 transformation.

I feel that it also might do wonders for my Focal Utopia – haven’t tried it yet.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #4,489 of 16,011
More news from Giles, the french dealer: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179834669.html#p179834669

Apparently he's been given the user manual for translation to french, I would conclude from that that the manual is essentially finished.

Also, he hints that an important milestone for the Dolby certification is going to be reached this week.

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #4,490 of 16,011
Pinna effect, from the outer part of the ear, is different than the whole effect head (itd and ild).
Than there is the fact that a PRIR also translates the environment acoustics. One might prefer a generic HRIR in a excellent room than a PRIR in a mediocre room.
I bet 3D3A lab at Princeton will find a efficient algorithm to calculate HRTF from morphological measurements.
That is imho the next big leap. Personalized HRTF into any generic RIR.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #4,491 of 16,011
More news from Giles, the french dealer: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179834669.html#p179834669

Apparently he's been given the user manual for translation to french, I would conclude from that that the manual is essentially finished.

Also, he hints that an important milestone for the Dolby certification is going to be reached this week.
I am not sure why but when I click on your link it takes me some where weird. Here it is if any one else is having issues.

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179834669.html#p179834669

If the manual is ready for translation I wish they would make is available so we can start digging through it.

I see Samsung has also exited the Blu-ray player market. I hope movies on disk are still a thing when the A-16 finally ships.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #4,492 of 16,011
Good point - well stated

BTW, while we wait, and probably wait some more, for our A16s, there’s the “3D” and EQ windows program for headphones from Redscape.

Redscape website says: “Up to 7.1 channels of audio are simulated around your head. Redscape tracks your head rotation to keep the virtual speakers in place when you turn your head.” {www.redscapeaudio.com}

Redscape gives the headphone listener a quasi-3D, out-of-head experience, and does 10-band headphone EQ for $199. I bought it at the Canjam booth a couple of days ago for $169. A gyro-based USB-connected/powered head tracker is included. This head-tracker mounts on top of the headphone headband.

Obviously, Redscape is much less-capable than the A16, yet gives outstanding ‘bang-for-the buck’.

This software includes one EQ preset specifically for the Sennheiser HD-800. IMO this EQ & simulated 3D space transformed my HD-800 from good to fantastic – still finding it hard to believe this stunning HD-800 transformation.

I feel that it also might do wonders for my Focal Utopia – haven’t tried it yet.

Hadn't heard of Redscape, will check it out thx. Have you heard of Out of Your Head(link in sig)? Measurements from a Realiser minus the headtracking, and you have to eq manually but thats easy enough to do.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #4,493 of 16,011
I just listened to the Redscape demo via my Iphone... sounds great... the guy selling this software is shorting himself by making it PC only. I never watch movies on a PC and rarely listen to music on the PC... but everyone listen's to headphones with their iphones for music and to watch movies with the Apple TV would be great to have an app like redscape... makes me want the A16 even more listening to that demo... :) won't be long now...

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #4,494 of 16,011
Also, he hints that an important milestone for the Dolby certification is going to be reached this week

Actually, he said that the A16 passed an important milestone (and not “is going to pass”) last week (he wrote “this week” in his message but he sent it on Sunday, so it means that it happened last week)
So, it’s going slowly but it’s getting there...

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #4,495 of 16,011
Hadn't heard of Redscape, will check it out thx. Have you heard of Out of Your Head(link in sig)? Measurements from a Realiser minus the headtracking, and you have to eq manually but thats easy enough to do.

Yes, I've heard 'Out of Your Head' demos. So far, I feel that Redscape gives a better, even more realistic result with my particular setup -- also, there's an EQ preset in Redscape for my HD-800.

UPDATE: Since my last post about Redscape, 'while we wait for our A16s', I found that using Redscape with my Chord Hugo M-scaler & Qutest DAC apparently is an astonishing synergistic combination, IMO --- Perhaps because Redscape's Windows 10 WASAPI interface outputs PCM digital with which the M-scaler is effective.

An example would be listening to Bach's Partita No.2 for Solo Violin BWV 1004, Nathan Milstein violinist, downloaded from You Tube.
With my setup, the violin 'magically' floats in space roughly 8 ft. in front of me - and the image remains in the same location even when I turn my head (thanks to the Redscape gyro-based head-tracker that mounts on top of the headphone headband).

Currently the most realistic reproduction of a solo violin I've ever heard ! I know this statement might seem hyperbolic -- just reporting what I heard...

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #4,496 of 16,011
Yes, I've heard 'Out of Your Head' demos. So far, I feel that Redscape gives a better, even more realistic result with my particular setup -- also, there's an EQ preset in Redscape for my HD-800.

UPDATE: Since my last post about Redscape, 'while we wait for our A16s', I found that using Redscape with my Chord Hugo M-scaler & Qutest DAC apparently is an astonishing synergistic combination, IMO --- Perhaps because Redscape's Windows 10 WASAPI interface outputs PCM digital with which the M-scaler is effective.

An example would be listening to Bach's Partita No.2 for Solo Violin BWV 1004, Nathan Milstein violinist, downloaded from You Tube.
With my setup, the violin 'magically' floats in space roughly 8 ft. in front of me - and the image remains in the same location even when I turn my head (thanks to the Redscape gyro-based head-tracker that mounts on top of the headphone headband).

Currently the most realistic reproduction of a solo violin I've ever heard ! I know this statement might seem hyperbolic -- just reporting what I heard...

How is the out-of-head effect with vocals?

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #4,497 of 16,011

This sound like the exact kind of program (computer based, head tracking) that think is the wave of the future. While this probably will not be the last, it demonstrates that something other than a $4k boat anchor can get the job done for a modest amount of money ($200 in this case).
Now if it just had the ability to get a custom HRTF.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #4,499 of 16,011

The is the link translated into English

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179834669.html#p179834669

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #4,500 of 16,011
What movies are you guys having ready or planning to watch or watch agin once the A16 is delivered?
I am definitely starting again with Boru WOLF Turkish film that is on Netflix.

::insert sci fi action movie title::
Star Trek, Star Wars, Comics, Ready Player One, Transformers, Etc... MAD MAX

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back