Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 22, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #3,482 of 15,992
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #3,483 of 15,992
I'd go 3.5mm under the house with a single run. Use adaptor cables at the ends if needed for the size (set top unit 3.5mm is the one at the TV end, 2.5mm for the tracker on your headphones)

https://www.amazon.com/s/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_5?fst=p90x:1,as:xf_eek:ff&rh=n:172282,n:281407,n:172532,n:172540,k:trrs+extension+cable,p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin:7800973011&keywords=trrs+extension+cable&ie=UTF8&qid=1534960713

Want to make sure I have this correct....
The headtracking receiver that sits under the TV has a male 3.5 MM plug and uses 4 conductor wire. The other end of that is also male 4 conductor, 3.5 mm that plugs into the A16. (this connects TV headtracking unit to A16)
Then the other run going from the A16 to headphones is a 2.5 MM plug 4 conductor wire with male connectors on both ends. (this connect A16 to headphones)
Is that correct?

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #3,485 of 15,992
Want to make sure I have this correct....
The headtracking receiver that sits under the TV has a male 3.5 MM plug and uses 4 conductor wire. The other end of that is also male 4 conductor, 3.5 mm that plugs into the A16. (this connects TV headtracking unit to A16)
Then the other run going from the A16 to headphones is a 2.5 MM plug 4 conductor wire with male connectors on both ends. (this connect A16 to headphones)
Is that correct?
Almost. I assume with "to headphones" you meant "to the headtracker that is attached to your headphones (or to your head, for example when using in-ear-monitors)". Then it is correct.

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #3,487 of 15,992
"...the main thing that everyone wants to know is when we are shipping and, until the firmware is finished, we simply don't have a accurate date for that. And we don't want to keep posting a shipping date that constantly moves into the future. So we've purposely not spoken about shipping, but rather about the work we've done and about what still needs to be done.

However we are getting closer - and will begin building complete units this week that can be fully tested, and can also be upgraded with the final firmware version just prior to shipping."

Thank you for your help in getting some info for Smyth Research.
Most of us here can understand that developping such a complex device with such a small team is a tremendous load of work. Since Mike was aware that "everyone wants to know (...)" then he should have just written this exact sentence in one of the updates a long time ago already... I think it might have calmed down some of the agitation on this topic (even though some will always be irremediably dissatisfied no matter what).
I just hope that most of the issues have been solved and that the end of the development will go smoothly.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #3,488 of 15,992
So Im getting ready to run cable from a TCL 65" 4k HDR/DV TV over a fireplace to a cabinet Im using for all my stereo equipment including the A16 which will be about 15 feet away. I have to run the cables under the floor joists because the ceilings are 12 feet high. I plan on using the A16 and the Yarra 3dx soundbar. Im 100% movies, no music, no gaming.

1. What type of cable do I need to run for the A16 headtracker?
2. What is the maximum length of HDMI cables I can run without degradation? (I plan to run 2 HDMI cables, 1 as backup in case the other fails over time)
3. Any suggestion on make and model of HDMI cable?
Am I mistaken about the new head tracker design for the A16? Does it actually still need a wire, and is there still an IR Receiver that sits on top of the TV?

I thought the new design was somehow wireless, used only one piece that was attached to your headphone band, and had a "motion sensor" to detect your head orientation and that there was no longer a receiver of any kind at the TV location. I don't see a head tracker IR REF input on either the front or back of the A16 photos, but maybe I'm wrong.

I do absolutely know that the head tracker technology for the A8, which uses TWO pieces and a wired connection from the IR receiver over the TV to the IR REF input on the back of the A8 unit, is NOT COMPATIBLE with the A16, which i've been told uses a completely different approach. And I could swear I thought I saw that it only had one piece, not two. Am I wrong?

If you know for sure, can someone please clarify how this is actually supposed to work on the A16? Is there written documentation or pictures on this somewhere that I could reference?

As far as cables go, for "premium certified" 4K HDR 60hz 18gb/s 4:4:4 HDMI cable to be used in a modern day 4K world, you can't go beyond 15 ft max with "copper". And even then they get thicker with length. You should never buy any cable which you plan to use in a 4K environment that doesn't have the "premium certified" logo shown on its web page, as otherwise you are not really guaranteed that the cable can actually live up to its specs and not cause you any audio or video problems.

In shorter lengths (say 8ft or less) there are some ultra-slim "premium certified" copper cables which are very nice and also very thin. But not in longer lengths.

The new technology for VERY LONG RUNS (say 20 feet up to 330 feet) in support of the 4K HDR world is to use the new fiber optic HDMI cables, typically containing 4 strands of fiber optic cable inside them. These are also surprisingly very thin and flexible and have no problem running through conduits and making turns through elbows, etc. I have used two of these now, one in a 20ft length and another in a 60ft length, and both work perfectly. These fiber optic HDMI cables are, as expected, considerably more expensive than copper cables. They are also "active" (i.e. directional) in the sense that the connector at one specific end is for use at the SOURCE and the other connector at the other end of the cable is for use at the DISPLAY, due to the "amplifying electronics" and optical-to-electronic converters built into the HDMI connectors themselves.

Typically you will find fiber optic HDMI cables priced starting from around $140 for a 20ft length, and going up from there. But just last week I purchased (somewhat skeptically, but now that it's arrived I'm a believer since it works perfectly) a 20ft Cable from CableCreation (China) for only $51! Fantastic price. They also offer 33ft ($60), 49ft ($61), 66ft ($67) and 98ft ($76). Amazing prices, compared to similar fiber HDMI cables from Monoprice, RUIPRO, Cable Matters, and others. But based on my own experience just this week with their 20ft cable (beautiful build quality in the connectors) I'd recommend these... for value pricing, and still delivering a quality reliable product.

Again, the real benefit of fiber optic HDMI cables, aside from their great lengths with zero loss, is that they're super slim cables and thus do not "stress" the connectors when plugged into HDMI sockets on source/display devices. You could pull two through a conduit without a problem, along with a CAT6 ethernet cable (that you should also pull, in support of smart TV's).

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #3,489 of 15,992
If you know for sure, can someone please clarify how this is actually supposed to work on the A16? Is there written documentation or pictures on this somewhere that I could reference?
Well, I am not 100% sure it is up to date on this subject but I think so, this is in the A16 FAQ (http://smyth-research.com/A16Q&A.html):
Q14: Has the head tracker been changed?

A14: Yes. The head tracker has been upgraded to include a 3-axis gyro and 3-axis magnetometer as well as the single axis optical sensor. In the future we will also sell a lower cost version using only the gyro and magnetometer sensors. The new hybrid head tracker can now measure 360 degrees for head azimuth, elevation and roll and it can operate with or without the optical (set-top) reference during playback. However we still recommend engaging the optical mode during PRIR measurements. The hybrid head tracker design is no longer wireless due to issues with battery longevity and the inconvenience of having to constantly recharge. Nevertheless we may reintroduce wireless connectivity to the lower cost version.
(I don't know what they refer to with "the lower cost version")
I don't see a head tracker IR REF input on either the front or back of the A16 photos
It is now called/labeled "Set-Top", see the back side. On the fron there are 2 connections labeled "HT" for the headtracker, one for each user.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #3,490 of 15,992
Well, I am not 100% sure it is up to date on this subject but I think so, this is in the A16 FAQ (http://smyth-research.com/A16Q&A.html):

It is now called/labeled "Set-Top", see the back side. On the fron there are 2 connections labeled "HT" for the headtracker, one for each user.

So the new version still uses a 3.5 mm cable from the headtrack unit at the TV back to the A16 right?

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #3,491 of 15,992
So the new version still uses a 3.5 mm cable from the headtrack unit at the TV back to the A16 right?

Direct from my email from James a month or so ago:

"The set-top cable is 3.5mm 4-way male jack to male jack, maximum length 15m"

"In regards to your question the head tracker cable is 2.5mm 4-way male jack to male jack. Max length 15m."

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #3,492 of 15,992
Direct from my email from James a month or so ago:

"The set-top cable is 3.5mm 4-way male jack to male jack, maximum length 15m"

"In regards to your question the head tracker cable is 2.5mm 4-way male jack to male jack. Max length 15m."

What length cable will they provide when you buy the A16 for the headtracker/headphones back to A16?

Aug 22, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #3,493 of 15,992
What length cable will they provide when you buy the A16 for the headtracker/headphones back to A16?

I can't recall, sorry.

I'm sure I found it on the labyrinth of the website/kickstarter etc but couldn't find it just now.

I don't think they were long enough though for extended distances (meant to be close to the A16 for the set top and run parallel to the headphone cable for the tracker)

Aug 22, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #3,495 of 15,992

It is now called/labeled "Set-Top", see the back side. On the front there are 2 connections labeled "HT" for the head tracker, one for each user.
Aha. I think I must have been looking at some other/older picture and didn't notice.

So apparently as I read things the new piece (HT) that fits on the headphone headband is "hybrid", and can operate either (a) by itself motion-sensor mode, or (b) with line-of-sight IR to the second IR receiver (i.e. "set top") piece that sits over the TV. But regardless of whether it is used in (a) or (b) mode, to be functional it must be wired-connected to the A16 unit itself.

Thus the HT piece is no longer battery-operated and also no longer wireless as it is with the A8 (which does require regular recharging using the A8's front USB recharger socket, and is also subject to eventual possible "death" of the rechargeable battery requiring replacement). Instead, the new wired-only HT piece now has a wire running out of it (which strangely I don't remember at the SOCAL CanJam show), which plugs into the HT jack on the front of the A16, one input HT socket for each of the two users.

And at the TV end, if you use the head tracker functionality in motion-sensor mode (a), then there is nothing needed at the TV. But if you want to use the IR (b) method then you still need an IR receiver (i.e. "set top" piece over the TV), same as with the A8. And that, too, needs to have its own wired connection running to the back of the A16 (to the "set top" socket), same as was required with the A8 design.

I don't remember how the SOCAL CanJam demo was set up, but I'm guessing there was no IR receiver sitting on top of the TV. I am suspecting the head tracker was running in motion-sensor mode (a). I may be wrong here but I don't remember seeing the IR receiver on top of the TV.

I wonder which usage, if either, is more "accurate" or provides the superior result? Or are they actually equivalent, in which case why retain the IR approach at all since the motion-sensor method eliminates the need for the second IR REF receiver over the TV?

Oh... I've now re-read the Q&A on the head tracker, and I guess the 1-piece motion-sensor in the head tracker approach is cheaper to manufacture. But the implication is that apparently it must also be somewhat "less accurate" in determining head orientation than is possible using the original 2-piece HT + IR receiver method, which is more expensive to manufacture. So I suppose the upshot is that if you want "superior head tracking" results, you should use the 2-piece IR method like with the A8, except that with the A16 your head tracker piece will now have its own wire connecting it to the front of the A16 (and also falling over the side of your head, where you will no doubt feel it).

I must say, I'm surprised that I didn't notice that there were TWO wires coming out of the headphones at the CanJam demo as there obviously must have been. One was the normal headphone cable running to the headphone amp, and the second very thin wire would have been on top of my head going from the head tracker to the A16. I really don't recall that sensation, but I guess it must have been true.

Both of my own seating locations (relative to my two current A8 situations) already require me to make use of 2.5m Stax headphone cable extension cords connected to the standard 2.5m headphone cable in order to reach both of the Stax amps across the rooms which are pretty much right next to the corresponding A8 units in the equipment racks adjacent to the TVs. So for the A16 now I will have to also deal with another wire dropping down off the top of the headphone headband and the non-wireless head tracker, and falling over the side of my head where I will no doubt feel its presence. I hope this second thin wire is not distracting.

Thank you for the clarifying info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back