Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 22, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #3,497 of 15,991
So for the A16 now I will have to also deal with another wire dropping down off the top of the headphone headband and the non-wireless head tracker, and falling over the side of my head where I will no doubt feel its presence. I hope this second thin wire is not distracting.

Not sure how the Smyth's set it up, but I'm planning on having the head tracker wire fixed (velcro or clip) to the mount and headband and then also to the headphone cable - pretty much making it a single run the whole way.

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #3,499 of 15,991
Not sure how the Smyth's set it up, but I'm planning on having the head tracker wire fixed (velcro or clip) to the mount and headband and then also to the headphone cable - pretty much making it a single run the whole way.
You're probably right. It's a very slim wire so fastening it in such a way that it "becomes one" with one of the much larger headphone cables running out the bottom of one of the earphone transducers probably would make it a non-factor to my listening experience.

But it does need to at least first somehow "harmlessly and invisibly" make its way down from the center of the headband to the bottom of one of the transducers in order to then "get married". I guess I'll just have to figure out how to best get that done when it arrives and is actually in my hands. As I recall I think there is now a plastic clip actually included with the A16 that is size-designed for use with new Stax plastic headbands (like for the SR-009), so we'll see how this all comes together. With the A8 you used a creatively involved rubber band to attach the head tracker holder to the headband.

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #3,500 of 15,991
Maybe in the future we could have the option to buy wireless models? I'd sacrifice inconvenience to get rid of the wire hassle.

I have a mod mic cable married to one of my headphones and I imagine you could do something similar with these, but it kind of marries you to one headphone, unless you want to go and rewire another one. I guess that's only a problem for weirdos like me who like to use a bunch of different headphones though...

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #3,501 of 15,991
With the A8 you used a creatively involved rubber band to attach the head tracker holder to the headband.

Will be interesting.

I've got two of the headtrackers coming and looking at using a variety of headphones until I work out which ones to be the preferred ones for the A16

I guess that's only a problem for weirdos like me who like to use a bunch of different headphones though..

You're not alone

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #3,502 of 15,991
Another question for the pros here. Just bought the sennheiser hd800s which come with a balanced cable. If I remember correctly the a16 supports that if you use both 6.3mm HP jacks. Anyone know how that works ? Haven’t found an adapter from 4 pin XLR to 6.3mm. I think the HD800 were driven balanced at the High End (2016) and at CanJam LA. So I was hoping that someone who went there would have an answer.

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #3,503 of 15,991
Another question for the pros here. Just bought the sennheiser hd800s which come with a balanced cable. If I remember correctly the a16 supports that if you use both 6.3mm HP jacks. Anyone know how that works ? Haven’t found an adapter from 4 pin XLR to 6.3mm. I think the HD800 were driven balanced at the High End (2016) and at CanJam LA. So I was hoping that someone who went there would have an answer.

I'll be looking at an adapter once I get the unit itself (probably build or get built)

Will more likely though to be using the A16 to feed (optical or RCA etc) one of my amps that already have an XLR balanced output (probably the HDVD800)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #3,504 of 15,991

I got these two beauties from Custom Cans (Custom Cans <info@customcans.co.uk>) for that very purpose, i.e. for use with my HD800 and He 1000 cans (for one or two simultaneous listeners, as needed). They look like adapters that can be easily DIY'ed by anyone who knows what they're doing... Unfortunately, I'm not very DIY-savvy, so I had to get them from Custom Cans:

IMG_0220.jpg

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #3,506 of 15,991
Won't only one person be able to use balanced at a time?

Balanced uses both jacks.

Is that so? I wouldn't know, since I can't decipher the use of all those gazillion jacks on the pictured models of the A-16 that I've seen so far. Taking a common sense approach, I assumed that each listener ought to be able to listen in balanced mode, and that is what guided my choices... I can always sell one of the adapters, it that assumption turns out to be wrong... Still, I think restricting balanced listening to only one person at a time is not ideal, if that is the case, but that is just moi :)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #3,507 of 15,991
Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #3,509 of 15,991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back