Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 20, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #3,466 of 15,986
This suggestion sounds quite reasonable, and without knowing you, I feel quite safe assuming that you mean well. I also have to say, however, that in making such a suggestion, you seem to be taking a lot for granted, beginning with the assumption that all buyers and backers are on the same biological clock, and therefore, equally blessed with the luxury to wait indefinitely for the A16, however lengthy its production delay might turn out to be...

But just how much does such an assumption stand up to scrutiny? It is safe to assume that the group of current backers and buyers of the A-16 include people who belong to various age brackets... From this viewpoint alone, one should expect the patience threshold of a 30 year-old backer/buyer, say, with a lot of disposable cash on hand to explore alternative toys, to be completely different from that of a 75 year-old retiree backer/buyer and audio enthusiast, for whom the A-16 is a keenly awaited item on a bucket list, and for whom the hope of ever seeing the A-16 alive continues to fade and diminish with each passing week or month of additional delay... Now do you realize in what cruelly ironic ways your statement that "This is not life or death for anyone" might resonate with such a hypothetical bucketlister?

That is just one example, albeit one which some might take to be too dramatic or extreme... Still biological clocks and mortality are not the only reasons why patience and tolerance thresholds might differ in such a context, for different backers or buyers.

For one thing, this field of binaural 3d audio technology seems to be evolving rapidly, with new products emerging in the field all the time... A new piece of 3D object-based audio technology could well emerge at any time that can do what the A-16 can at a fraction of the price, all before the first A-16 eventually ships... In such a scenario, the A-16 could become obsolete, not to mention depreciate considerably in value, even before it ships.... to the utter chagrin of many backers and buyers...

Then there is the possibility to which others have already alluded, i.e. the possibility of the project running out of cash, and folding up before its completion, like the Ossic did. This is a possibility I do not like to contemplate, as I am as keen as most backers and buyers are on getting my hands on an A-16 in the near future... However, it is a possibility I cannot entirely rule out, unfortunately, as the number of A-16 production delays continue to add up, and postpone its eventual release into the ever-receding future... I will not even go into the possibility of unforeseen increased freight/customs/duties costs related to the current political climate of Brexit and insipid tariff/trade wars...

With all that said, you could say that there are known risks that each supporter of this project must willingly opt to assume, and I wouldn't disagree with you, provided you recognize that everything in this debate should be considered within certain reasonable limits, including our estimation of acceptable risks, and degrees of delay...

I am not trying to be rude to you, or suggest that your demand for more patience is unreasonable, or that backers and buyers should go out into the streets and vandalize properties in angry protest... I am just trying to show you some of the legitimate limitations of the assumptions behind your suggestion, and why it might not be necessarily appropriate from the viewpoint of every backer or buyer...
Thank you for that. A very reasoned response. I hadn't really thought of it from the POV of an elderly enthusiast. I am 62.
I would think that at the end of my life the A16 will not be a huge concern for me. Perhaps that is different for a true enthusiast. I still say no one will die as a result of any of this, although sadly they may do before it ships!
Your point about obsolescence is valid but that is the price we pay for living in fast moving technological times.
My post was an expression of mild exasperatation at people getting so angry about things that are beyond our control.
Anyway. Thanks again for your friendly post.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3,469 of 15,986
In March 2019 Great Britain will have to leave the European Union and then I will have to pay taxes and duties when importing something from the UK to Germany. This will ad easily 30 percent on my spend...
In such a case it would become unnecessary for us to pay VAT, but we payed it in advance and I'm not sure if it could be taken into account.
I think this would be very unfair and I feel that they have to find a way to get the product to their early backers soon. I do not need Dolby Atmos etc. now. I would be happy to have a stale 2 channel simulation now and get the rest via firmware updates later.
In my opinion the best way to significantly simplify the A16 would be to omit device management through a local web server. Multichannel processing is kind of minimum to me.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #3,470 of 15,986
I'm not sure how the UK leaving the EU affects VAT that was already paid. I assume they would refund the VAT and then the local authorities would charge it right back again (along with whatever other import taxes they see fit to tack on). But hopefully the A16 will be shipped before March '19 and/or the UK will remain in the EU or work out some kind of soft-Brexit deal.

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #3,471 of 15,986
Or like Fox1977 said: we already payed in full, that would be the date of purchase, nothing changes for us. That seems the most logical to me.

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #3,472 of 15,986
I received a quick response to my inquiry to Mike Smyth yesterday. While he did acknowledge that they could do a better job of communicating with backers, they have been very busy finalizing the firmware and getting ready for their manufacturing run.

He wrote, "...the main thing that everyone wants to know is when we are shipping and, until the firmware is finished, we simply don't have a accurate date for that. And we don't want to keep posting a shipping date that constantly moves into the future. So we've purposely not spoken about shipping, but rather about the work we've done and about what still needs to be done.

However we are getting closer - and will begin building complete units this week that can be fully tested, and can also be upgraded with the final firmware version just prior to shipping."

In addition, he told me that they've been "pretty flexible" with backers requesting refunds because they have a backlog or additional people wanting a place in line. That seems very reasonable to me.

Re YARRA 3DX: I drove to San Diego yesterday to participate in the YARRA 3DX open house/demo session. About 20 of our backers took the time to come and experience the final manufactured versions of this amazing 3D sound bar. I was very please that everyone was very impressed with the sound and the device's ability to recreate a surround sound field around the listener's head. Progress has been slower than anyone wanted but like the Smyth box, the final result will be worth the wait.

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #3,473 of 15,986
Does anyone of those who already have an A8 use it with In-Ear-headphones? Or has anyone successfully tried to do so?

My Audeze LCD2 is a bit heavy and umcomfortable. Especially when watching 3D movies with 3D glasses on.
I boght some relatively cheap Hifiman RE400 for testing. One reason was that they seem to have a frequency response that looks a bit similar to that of the LCD2 when comparing measurements from innerfidelity.
But they sound different esp. in the mids (voices are heavily colored). The localization of the virtual speakers works quite well, but I have to EQ them somehow.

I'll try to bring the in ear HP and in ear mic close together in some sort of tube and try to measure an HPEQ but I don't think this will work because when in the ears there is a small volume between HP driver and the ear drum and that has a certain resonant behaviour and I think that's important.

Another idea would be to have a normal headphone like my LCD2 over one ear and the in ear HP in the other ear and then play the same sine signal to both. If both are equally loud then the signal should be perceived exactly in the center of your head. If not you would hear it more left or right and adjust the volume (via EQ) of that frequency so that both are equally loud.

However sine signals wouldn't be that good because they have to be exactly in phase. I think better would be band limited (pink) noise.

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #3,474 of 15,986
I received a quick response to my inquiry to Mike Smyth yesterday. While he did acknowledge that they could do a better job of communicating with backers, they have been very busy finalizing the firmware and getting ready for their manufacturing run.

He wrote, "...the main thing that everyone wants to know is when we are shipping and, until the firmware is finished, we simply don't have a accurate date for that. And we don't want to keep posting a shipping date that constantly moves into the future. So we've purposely not spoken about shipping, but rather about the work we've done and about what still needs to be done.

However we are getting closer - and will begin building complete units this week that can be fully tested, and can also be upgraded with the final firmware version just prior to shipping."

In addition, he told me that they've been "pretty flexible" with backers requesting refunds because they have a backlog or additional people wanting a place in line. That seems very reasonable to me.

Re YARRA 3DX: I drove to San Diego yesterday to participate in the YARRA 3DX open house/demo session. About 20 of our backers took the time to come and experience the final manufactured versions of this amazing 3D sound bar. I was very please that everyone was very impressed with the sound and the device's ability to recreate a surround sound field around the listener's head. Progress has been slower than anyone wanted but like the Smyth box, the final result will be worth the wait.

Thanks Mark. I think we all appreciate your help. I didn’t know that he hasn’t even started building the units so it looks like a delivery date may not happen this year.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #3,475 of 15,986

Great news Doc!, appreciate the time you take to help, we need to understand that hardware like this takes time, and i prefeer that Smyth brothers take the time to finish their job than read this forum complain after complain, theres a buddy who waited years but at the end he was rewarded, the refunds are good for some of the people who has negative ideas here, we hope they leave the project and let us preserve the motivation that brings news about our passion... the audio.

regards Doc!

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #3,476 of 15,986
So Im getting ready to run cable from a TCL 65" 4k HDR/DV TV over a fireplace to a cabinet Im using for all my stereo equipment including the A16 which will be about 15 feet away. I have to run the cables under the floor joists because the ceilings are 12 feet high. I plan on using the A16 and the Yarra 3dx soundbar. Im 100% movies, no music, no gaming.

1. What type of cable do I need to run for the A16 headtracker?
2. What is the maximum length of HDMI cables I can run without degradation? (I plan to run 2 HDMI cables, 1 as backup in case the other fails over time)
3. Any suggestion on make and model of HDMI cable?
4. What type of cable does the Yarra use for subwoofer? Or should I use the subwoofer OUT on the A16?
5. what is the max length of that audio cable I can run without degradation from the Yarra?
5. Any other cables I should run?
6. Would the correct wiring go from A16 to Yarra and Yarra to the ARC input on the TV in order to use the Yarra?

Inputs: UsIng DirectTV, probably get the Roku Ultimate or the Apple TV 4k as I am using VUDU for all 4k movies but they will also port to other platforms using Movies Anywhere.

Any help here is GREATLY appreciated!

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #3,477 of 15,986
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #3,478 of 15,986
Aug 22, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #3,479 of 15,986
2. What is the maximum length of HDMI cables I can run without degradation? (I plan to run 2 HDMI cables, 1 as backup in case the other fails over time)

I've used 10m (50ft??) HDMI fine with 4K @ 60hz - just make sure you try the cables before you run them.

3. Any suggestion on make and model of HDMI cable?

I got "Comsol" brand $AU70 - make sure specs say 18Gb/s

5. Any other cables I should run?

Cat5 to connect TV to ethernet

Speaker wires in case you want to run stereo speakers in the future

A couple of cords/strings incase you want to pull another cable through in the future

I also ran a 15m toslink cable (Sonos playbar uses optical input)

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #3,480 of 15,986
So for head tracker, use 2 or 3 of these and an adapter right? (for 24 to 36 feet)
When you say 4 way, you mean 4 conductor?

I'd go 3.5mm under the house with a single run. Use adaptor cables at the ends if needed for the size (set top unit 3.5mm is the one at the TV end, 2.5mm for the tracker on your headphones)

https://www.amazon.com/s/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_5?fst=p90x:1,as:xf_eek:ff&rh=n:172282,n:281407,n:172532,n:172540,k:trrs+extension+cable,p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin:7800973011&keywords=trrs+extension+cable&ie=UTF8&qid=1534960713

Users who are viewing this thread

Back