Yarra Speaker System
Jul 25, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #76 of 291
Yarra 3DX is active too. They sent a nice letter and sticker to their crowdfunding supporters.
Haven't got a letter from them yet :fingers_crossed::disappointed_relieved:

Did in anyone else in Australia order one and get a letter yet? Sorry for continuing the slight derail.
If I where you I'd wait a few days and if you still don't have the letter try to contact Comhear. If you don't have an e-mail address you can always use the contact form:
http://www.yarra3dx.com/contact/
Or maybe you are lucky and they read this thread and react.

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #78 of 291
Thanks sander99 and L8MDL, luckily my letter and sticker arrived yesterday (Thursday). So they have my address correct. Looking forward to September :fingers_crossed:

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #80 of 291
This is the update on the YARRA 3DX on the Kickstarter website issued today.

"Hello Backers! We’re excited to share that the final version pre-production YARRA 3DX units are in! Our team has been hard at work fine tuning the firmware on these units to ensure the promised sound experience. Next Tuesday, August 21st from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. we are inviting any and all backers to a demonstration at our San Diego office. Backers will be able to get a first-look at the product and hear the final version. To attend, please RSVP at duke.jarboe@comhear.com. We look forward to seeing you!"

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #81 of 291
"pre-production YARRA 3DX units" - "fine tuning the firmware" meaning not ready yet. Add another 8-12 weeks to ship, clear customs, get to distribution center, etc. They may also need to be certified by Dolby and other licensees. I don't see them shipping until 1st quarter 2019. I would love to be wrong!

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #84 of 291
Re YARRA 3DX: I drove to San Diego yesterday to participate in the YARRA 3DX open house/demo session. About 20 of our backers took the time to come and experience the final manufactured versions of this amazing 3D sound bar. I was very please that everyone was very impressed with the sound and the device's ability to recreate a surround sound field around the listener's head. Progress has been slower than anyone wanted but like the Smyth box, the final result will be worth the wait.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #85 of 291
4. What type of cable does the Yarra use for subwoofer?
From the Yarra FAQ:
The speaker array includes a 3.5 mono jack, which supplies, unbalanced, line level audio for the sub.
Or should I use the subwoofer OUT on the A16?
Assuming you only want to use the sub in combination with the Yarra I think the most practical is to connect it to the Yarra.
Edit: Correction (FAQ outdated as mentioned in a later post): the subwoofer cable is cinch/RCA to cinch/RCA

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #86 of 291
6. Would the correct wiring go from A16 to Yarra and Yarra to the ARC input on the TV in order to use the Yarra?
Depends on what you want, and can be different for audio versus video. For example if you always want to use the Yarra with the A16, and hence never need the Yarra's build in surround decoders and/or binauralization you could do the following: connect the source with HDMI to the A16, the A16 with HDMI to the TV, and connect the A16's optical output for headphones A or B to the optical input of the Yarra. (So the Yarra only receives the binauralized audio and is not included in the video signal path).
One little complication: You might also want to listen to non-binauralized stereo beamed to your ears, for that case I hope the A16 can be put in a mode where it just passes stereo input through to the headphones output. If that is not the case maybe an additional audio connection is required. Now the answer becomes more complicated. Many of your questions are in fact quite complicated because there are simply many different ways to hook everything up and it is a lot of work to explain them all.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #87 of 291
From the Yarra FAQ:

Assuming you only want to use the sub in combination with the Yarra I think the most practical is to connect it to the Yarra.

Instead of a 3.5 mm mono cable, could I also use a 3.5 MM 4 conductor cable?

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #88 of 291
Instead of a 3.5 mm mono cable, could I also use a 3.5 MM 4 conductor cable?
I don't know but I would never do that, why would you?
By the way: I don't know what is on the other side - the subwoofer side - of the cable. I just assumed without thinking it would be a single cinch/RCA plug but actually I don't know.

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #89 of 291
The FAQ is outdated. The output for the sub from the main unit has been changed to an RCA female which is more common for a subwoofer. I believe the cord will be male RCA at both ends but cannot be sure at this time. It looks to be on Dr. Waldrep's video. There is also a photo of the subwoofer on the #24 update at the Kickstarter page that shows the input. Looks RCA to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back